RIP in Peace, Google Stadia

Commissar SFLUFAN

We’re grateful to the dedicated Stadia players that have been with us from the start. We will be refunding all Stadia hardware purchases made through the Google Store, and all game and add-on content purchases made through the Stadia store.

Damn right they should.

Thanks Google for the free copy of Assassin's Creed Odyssey btw.

Yeah, the writing has been on the wall since they cancelled all their games for it back in February of 21. I don't know if having exclusives would have been enough to keep the service running, but it's one of the few things that might have given it a shot.

In fact, all of the cool stuff they said they'd do never materialized. Integrations with YouTube were basically non-existent. No exclusive games. No novel games that could essentially only work in the cloud. No games that leveraged cloud tech in an interesting way.  I still believe that streaming games is the inevitable future, and I think Google was well positioned to really do some interesting things in the space.  Spending tens of millions to stream games people already played elsewhere probably wasn't going to prove the tech or build out a customer base, but it was the only thing they actually tried.

1 hour ago, TwinIon said:

In fact, all of the cool stuff they said they'd do never materialized. Integrations with YouTube were basically non-existent. No exclusive games. No novel games that could essentially only work in the cloud. No games that leveraged cloud tech in an interesting way.

All that off the table sounds like a really good thing to me.

I will say some of the game filters they showed off were nifty.  I’d love to see a similar feature resurface someday, locally.

Google really showed everyone that refused to buy into Stadia on the grounds that Google would eventually kill it.

In an seriousness, I hope Google releases a firmware update for the gamepads to allow them to work either over USB or Bluetooth. It would really suck to see all those gamepads they sent everyone just become bricks destined for landfills.

21 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Who among us could've foreseen this?!?!?

Stadia_Logo_Social_Share.max-1300x1300.j
BLOG.GOOGLE

We’ve made the difficult decision to begin winding down our Stadia streaming service.

None of us we all thought it would be a resounding success and Google would never abandon one of their projects!

• Haha 1

Playing moonlight on deck (hard wired) makes me realize how streaming will actually be totally fine and a suitable replacement especially for most people some day, whenever someone gets it working as good as nvidia’s tech/lan. Geforce Now is close but only specifically using nvidia shield while hard wired. And still just not quiiiite there yet.

I think they need to get to a point where it’s as good as my hard wired moonlight lan connection but over wifi internet and then people will start jumping onboard. Probably will require better US infrastructure along with better compression algorithms etc.

38 minutes ago, stepee said:

Playing moonlight on deck (hard wired) makes me realize how streaming will actually be totally fine and a suitable replacement especially for most people some day, whenever someone gets it working as good as nvidia’s tech/lan. Geforce Now is close but only specifically using nvidia shield while hard wired. And still just not quiiiite there yet.

I think they need to get to a point where it’s as good as my hard wired moonlight lan connection but over wifi internet and then people will start jumping onboard. Probably will require better US infrastructure along with better compression algorithms etc.

I won't be excited about streaming until it's as good as the Wii U was within 10 feet.  As big of a flop as it was, the tech is still kind of amazing.  Less lag than your TV.

1 hour ago, crispy4000 said:

I won't be excited about streaming until it's as good as the Wii U was within 10 feet.  As big of a flop as it was, the tech is still kind of amazing.  Less lag than your TV.

Moonlight over lan now is so much better to me because it actually looks like native especially pushing a 1400p stream to the 7” 720p deck display. It’s really hard to tell. Even accounting for the wiiu display resolution it still looked like a stream to me, the colors were muted and and it had that kind of low res feed quality.

edit: Also should note moonlight over wifi is also incredible and still totally playable but it sometimes will get those little connection stutters that are erased over lan

1 hour ago, stepee said:

Moonlight over lan now is so much better to me because it actually looks like native especially pushing a 1400p stream to the 7” 720p deck display. It’s really hard to tell. Even accounting for the wiiu display resolution it still looked like a stream to me, the colors were muted and and it had that kind of low res feed quality.

edit: Also should note moonlight over wifi is also incredible and still totally playable but it sometimes will get those little connection stutters that are erased over lan

I care much more about input lag than visual quality on a 720p stream to a handheld.

18 minutes ago, stepee said:

Well I mean input lag is great also :P

For what it is, maybe.

Digital Foundry found the input lag in NSMBU was about ~33ms on the Wii U Gamepad.  By comparison, GeForce Now streaming is in the 80-120ms range in the games they tested.  (versus around 50ms when played natively)

Wii U latency wizardry is no joke.

53 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

For what it is, maybe.

Digital Foundry found the input lag in NSMBU was about ~33ms on the Wii U Gamepad.  By comparison, GeForce Now streaming is in the 80-120ms range in the games they tested.  (versus around 50ms when played natively)

Wii U latency wizardry is no joke.

I’ll have to test my latency but it’s definitely not 80-120ms. Maybe I wasn’t clear but I’m saying geforce now is not there yet, what I’m saying is for me is local from my pc using moonlight with ethernet connected on both ends.

• 3 months later...

I hope folks with a Stadia gamepad didn't already send it off to a landfill.

COMMUNITY.STADIA.COM

Hey there Stadians.   You might have seen one last game arrive on Stadia today. It's a humble thanks for playing from our team.   Find it here:...

Looks like Google will be releasing an updater I'm the next week or so to turn them into Bluetooth gamepads. Very nice. I do think the Stadia gamepad was pretty good and I still have mine exactly because I was hoping either Google or someone else would figure this out.