AMD's Ryzen 7000 CPU reviews (jumps ahead of Intel)

cusideabelincoln

We have new GPUs coming out soon, but right now there's also some new CPUs to get excited about. Here are some key takeaways about AMD's new CPUs:

-DDR5 only, AMD officially recommends 6000 MHz as the top speed most chips can do although you can push it higher. Look for sets with EXPO, which is AMD's alternative to XMP profiles.

-New AM5 socket, not backwards compatible with AM4. Coolers are backwards compatible though *if they use the stock AMD backplate.

-New boosting algorithm is based on temperature with a 95C limit. So the CPU will try to run at 95C all the time, boosting voltage and clockspeeds as necessary until it hits that limit. So the better cooling you have on the chip, the more performance you will gain out of the box without any tweaking, particularly with the 12 and 16 core parts. Obviously you won't need as much cooling for the 6 and 8 core parts.

-As a result of this potentially unlimited boosting, power consumption has increased over previous Ryzen chips. Out of the box, the 16 core will chug down 200w. Depending on the workload Ryzen appears to be on the same power level as Intel 12th gen, sometimes a little more efficient.

-Another side effect of all these new features: More expensive motherboards. PCIe 5.0 support, along with the beefier VRMs and DDR5 all require better and more expensive motherboard components.

-All CPUs have an iGPU now, but 3D performance is on par with Intel's iGPUs and not nearly as powerful as the iGPUs in their APUs like the 5600G.

WWW.TECHPOWERUP.COM

relative-performance-cpu.png relative-performance-games-1920-1080.png power-multithread.png

2022-09-25-image-4.jpg
WWW.TECHSPOT.COM

The new Ryzen 5 7600X is a 6-core/12-thread CPU that replaces the popular 5600X, built on TSMC's 5nm process, it clocks up to 5.3 GHz, packs 32MB...

Delidding the 7950 reduces temps by a whopping 20 C, and also reduces power consumption (transistor current leakage correlates to temperature). But delidding is pretty complicated.

• Halal 1

Just now, Zaku3 said:

I like it. I think I'll wait for a 3d cache version. Alternatively I am in love with my Asus Flow x16 and I am debating just giving up on desktops. I have been having the worse luck with them as of late.

Yeah, I was just about to say that all reviews tell me it's that it'll be a great idea to wait for the 3D cache model.

I imagine AMD will hold onto those for the Intel refresh.

31 minutes ago, stepee said:

Maybe I’ll go AMD if they still are leading next cpu upgrade just because I’ve never had one before. 

Intel's next CPUs are coming out this year too, and they will probably jump ahead if rumors are true. Have no idea what power consumption or heat will be like for those chips, though, so AMD might lead Intel in that department. And then AMD will probably bring out a refresh with the 3D cache within a year, which is REALLY good for gaming performance.

17 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I guess there’s no reason for me to upgrade yet :( 

I doubt even a 4090 will show differences in CPU performance at 4k. It's just too demanding of a resolution and even 5 year old CPUs are good enough. Also a lot of the new Nvidia features are targeted at removing CPU limitations anyway, so CPU might matter less.

1 minute ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Intel's next CPUs are coming out this year too, and they will probably jump ahead if rumors are true. Have no idea what power consumption or heat will be like for those chips, though, so AMD might lead Intel in that department. And then AMD will probably bring out a refresh with the 3D cache within a year, which is REALLY good for gaming performance.

I doubt even a 4090 will show differences in CPU performance at 4k. It's just too demanding of a resolution and even 5 year old CPUs are good enough. Also a lot of the new Nvidia features are targeted at removing CPU limitations anyway, so CPU might matter less.

Gaming is basically the only reason I upgrade my PC, and I game at 4k. PCIE 5 will, eventually, be a reason to upgrade, whether for GPU bandwidth or NVME speeds, but as of right now, with a 5900x, I just don’t see a reason to pull the trigger. I’d argue anyone on a 5600x or better that primarily upgrades for gaming may be better off waiting a bit.

@CastlevaniaNut18

s-l400.jpg
WWW.EBAY.COM

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-core 16-thread Desktop Processor - 8 core and 16 threads - 3.4 GHz- 4.5 GHz CPU Speed - 96MB Total Cache - PCIe 4.0 Ready - AMD 3D...

Lowest price I’ve seen was only $10 less than this, but that was with a labor day sale coupon. 

7 hours ago, stepee said:

I’m on an i9 10850k, not sure how that ranks next to AMD stuff, but I just missed ddr5 because I couldn’t wait any longer. I knew it would be only a few years because of that, but I think I can probably skip another gen and get a 14th gen or AMD equivalent probably.

Yea, since you game at 4k like I do, I’d hold off until there’s some PCIE 5.0 stuff available and/or DDR5 prices drop/normalize some more. There’s not much reason to upgrade for gaming unless you’re trying for 360fps at 1080p because you’re a weirdo.

• Halal 1

8 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Yea, since you game at 4k like I do, I’d hold off until there’s some PCIE 5.0 stuff available and/or DDR5 prices drop/normalize some more. There’s not much reason to upgrade for gaming unless you’re trying for 360fps at 1080p because you’re a weirdo.

Im a weirdo but not that kind of weirdo.

If you don't like the CPU running so hot or using so much power, or you're running one of the new Ryzen chips with a weaker cooler, tweaking the Precision Boost algorithm will bring those thresholds back to a normal level:

These chips were definitely made to be extremely efficient and provide the best performance per watt for mobile and servers. BIOS updates will bring about an ECO mode that will do the same as the manual tweaking above for you:

Thinking about it more I like this new algorithim. If it becomes more wide spread or AMD continues down this path. Might not be worth it for laptops but I should be using an air cooler because I lost the silicon lottery and my 5800x can't really go beyond spec. With an algorithim like there I'd still have benefit of having a water cooler. 

I have held off on water cooling beyond this AIO but I think I'll go all out and do a full set up.

3 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

Thinking about it more I like this new algorithim. If it becomes more wide spread or AMD continues down this path. Might not be worth it for laptops but I should be using an air cooler because I lost the silicon lottery and my 5800x can't really go beyond spec. With an algorithim like there I'd still have benefit of having a water cooler. 

I have held off on water cooling beyond this AIO but I think I'll go all out and do a full set up.

I was hoping to lock 5ghz all core on my 10850k and that is the one disappointment with my last build that my air cooler couldn’t make that happen. I wanted to stay with air coolers as long as possible but I think I’ll be going water cooler next time as well.

Edit: Unless the 10850k is supposed to hit 95c also, then maybe my shutdowns are power related as I am pushing it with my 3080ftw3 firmware unlocked to 400w  with a 800w supply. I’ll find that out when I get vic’s in!

Galaxy brain strat bought to us by edibles. We make AMD, Intel, and Nvidia make 100C CPUs and GPUs. We use liquid cooling to cool them and we use the steam it creates to power the fans or if possible spin a turbine and generate electricity. 

Now that's a green PC.

• Sicko 1

1 minute ago, Zaku3 said:

Galaxy brain strat bought to us by edibles. We make AMD, Intel, and Nvidia make 100C CPUs and GPUs. We use liquid cooling to cool them and we use the steam it creates to power the fans or if possible spin a turbine and generate electricity. 

Now that's a green PC.

oh man I can’t wait to get off work so I can be this high too

1 hour ago, stepee said:

oh man I can’t wait to get off work so I can be this high too

Who waits to be off work.

Status report I bought a new case while high. I didn't know ASUS sells a Gundam case. This also raises the philisopical question. Does having Earth Federation Gundam gear and/or apperal count as ANTIFA?

3 hours ago, Zaku3 said:

GPUs basically use this same algorithm. Transistors at lower temperatures need less power, so the algorithm will boost more because there's more power left before hitting the limit.  So go full custom on both CPU and GPU:twothumbsup:

I definitely like this algorithm over their first versions. I cannot get my 3700x to even meet the advertised frequency, let alone overclock last it. I've only seen 1 core even get close to max boost, most are 100 MHz lower. I got one really shit piece of silicon.  Luckily my 5900x can boost 200 MHz over the advertised max setting so that improvement is appreciated.  But now I'm happy they are guaranteeing the advertised clocks as the minimum achieved, instead of the maximum achievable in the 3000 days.

We can thank Intel for this improvement. AMD could have sold these CPUs at 105w, sacrificed maybe 5% performance, but they would have looked much worse against Intel if they did. 

3 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

GPUs basically use this same algorithm. Transistors at lower temperatures need less power, so the algorithm will boost more because there's more power left before hitting the limit.  So go full custom on both CPU and GPU:twothumbsup:

I definitely like this algorithm over their first versions. I cannot get my 3700x to even meet the advertised frequency, let alone overclock last it. I've only seen 1 core even get close to max boost, most are 100 MHz lower. I got one really shit piece of silicon.  Luckily my 5900x can boost 200 MHz over the advertised max setting so that improvement is appreciated.  But now I'm happy they are guaranteeing the advertised clocks as the minimum achieved, instead of the maximum achievable in the 3000 days.

We can thank Intel for this improvement. AMD could have sold these CPUs at 105w, sacrificed maybe 5% performance, but they would have looked much worse against Intel if they did. 

It's basically that laptop gamer meme about I paid for the full thermometer. I'm gonna USE the whole thermometer.

10 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Ok will wait for someone to make a RDNA block. Got my gundam case gotta see what I can find that will match it's color.