Netflix and Capcom announce "Onimusha" anime series from Sublimation that will feature the likeness of Toshirō Mifune

onimusha-1.jpeg
WWW.ANIMENEWSNETWORK.COM

Anime from Sublimation to use late actor Toshiro Mifune as model for Miyamoto Musashi

Famed director Takashi Miike (live-action Ichi the Killer, Blade of the Immortal, Crows Zero, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond Is Unbreakable, Terraformars) will serve as the chief director of the series at Sublimation. Shin'ya Sugai (Dragon's Dogma, Shikizakura) is directing the series.

The series will use the late prolific actor Toshirō Mifune (Rashomon, Seven Samurai) as a model for the character Miyamoto Musashi.

I don't know if I've seen anything from Sublimation. They're the same studio that did the Dragon's Dogma anime. Having Mike involved certainly has me interested, though. I don't think he's ever worked on an anime, though he has done some live action anime adaptations.

I liked that I looked it up to make sure I wasn't wrong there and that's how I learned he voiced Pascal in the Animal Crossing movie.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Checked out the first episode. I guess maybe I never noticed but this is one of those CG joints. However, we've come a long way that anime CG doesn't look like shit and the look is really good here. It's very convincing like something from a Arc System Works kind of thing. First episode is nearly 40 minutes long and the first half is a big setup for the second half. I though it was kind of tame early on but things get really wild towards the end. So far so good and I look forward to watching more!

• Hype 1

• 2 weeks later...

Something I liked that there were bits of character building moments sprinkled between the action. If you recall I watched Zatoichi a while back and I felt that the flashback scenes really sucked the momentum out of the movie. However, with this show I think they are appropriately placed.

Moments of the show reminded me of Asura's Wrath in a way, especially how one of the characters looked like Yasha. If they made a show or even remastered the games to look like this, that would be incredible. Do it Capcom!

• Hype 1

12 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Moments of the show reminded me of Asura's Wrath in a way, especially how one of the characters looked like Yasha. If they made a show or even remastered the games to look like this, that would be incredible. Do it Capcom!

Regardless of how much of a "game" people felt it was or not, Asura's Wrath was awesome - and not easy on the hardest difficulty. It was so unique and interesting I tracked down the artbook for the game - would love a remaster.

• Hugs 1

• 3 weeks later...

I just finished the series, and it was good but not great IMO. It didn’t seem much like the game series that it’s based on, it just seemed like it’s own thing which is fine but I didn’t find it as compelling as the games. The animation and fight scenes are pretty good, but the story and characters didn’t do a lot for me. It just seemed kind of average overall, but I still enjoyed it enough to finish it and liked it enough to watch another season if there is one.

• 2 months later...
On 12/6/2023 at 10:36 AM, Phaseknox said:

I just finished the series, and it was good but not great IMO. It didn’t seem much like the game series that it’s based on, it just seemed like it’s own thing which is fine but I didn’t find it as compelling as the games. The animation and fight scenes are pretty good, but the story and characters didn’t do a lot for me. It just seemed kind of average overall, but I still enjoyed it enough to finish it and liked it enough to watch another season if there is one.

Having just finished the show as well, I feel about the same way. Good, not great, not as good as Blue Eye Samurai, but not trying to do nearly as much either. It's a simple, straightforward, solidly told story with fun one-off characters, but not a lot of substance or depth here. Animation was solid for Sublimation Studio and stylized enough that it looked better than it probably was. I didn't see a lot of Takashi Miike's influence here other than the Japanese throat singing and the vibe of the setting, etc. and the show didn't really resemble the games too much but respected the games' world building at least. I'd watch a season 2 but between the Onimusha: Warlords remaster from January 2019 not meeting even Capcom's modest sales expectations (they cancelled remasters of the next two games as a result) and this pretty much being a self-contained story, I don't imagine we'll get a season 2 but I hope so. In the same way it doesn't seem like we'll get more Tekken: Bloodlines or Skull Island (or a season 4 of DOTA: Dragon's Blood). Which sucks. More Arcane and Blue Eye Samurai are coming at least.

5 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I'd watch a season 2 but between the Onimusha: Warlords remaster from January 2019 not meeting even Capcom's modest sales expectations (they cancelled remasters of the next two games as a result) and this pretty much being a self-contained story, I don't imagine we'll get a season 2 but I hope so.

I think that a remastered collection of the first three Onimusha games bundled together would have done well, because only releasing a remaster of the first game seemed half-baked. I remember when it came out I was really disappointed that it was just the first game and not the trilogy.

5 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

More Arcane and Blue Eye Samurai are coming at least.

Yeah, I’m really looking forward to the next seasons of them because they’re a couple of my favorite animated shows in recent years.

• Hype 1

14 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

I think that a remastered collection of the first three Onimusha games bundled together would have done well, because only releasing a remaster of the first game seemed half-baked. I remember when it came out I was really disappointed that it was just the first game and not the trilogy.

Yeah I agree, Capcom's reasoning being they were testing the waters to see if there was demand there, and then since the first remaster didn't meet Capcom's allegedly modest goals, there was no need to continue with 2 and 3. Should have done the whole trilogy at once.