Dahmer Series On Netflix by Ryan Murphy

I’m halfway through. Probably the most queasy a show has ever made me. It’s very well done. Doesn’t try to romanticize the monster like some shows do. Puts more emphasis on his victims and how the system failed to catch him, given so many opportunities. 

Evan Peters understands the assignment. Feel bad for his mental state after finishing a role like that. 

• Like 1
  • True 1
  • Halal 1

28 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Jesus episode 9 just pissed me off so bad. Law enforcement in this country is SO fucking broken. I don't know how true some of this stuff is in this show but... damn.

Seems like this is a good article detailing parts of the show that didn’t match the facts of the case. Overall, it seems pretty spot on, though. 

20c4792a-891f-45e1-b098-4986e101bfa7-DAH
WWW.JSONLINE.COM

The new Jeffrey Dahmer series on Netflix uses a plethora of facts from the original reporting but there are a couple creative liberties, too.

• Thanks 1

Dahmer was dumb. Like really really dumb. I had a difficult time watching the show because he was such an idiot. It took an astounding level of gross incompetence across a not small number of people for him to not have been caught 20 times over. 

I want to see a show similar to this, only about the Chicago Ripper Crew. That would be terrifying. 

1 minute ago, Emblazon said:

Dahmer was dumb. Like really really dumb. I had a difficult time watching the show because he was such an idiot. It took an astounding level of gross incompetence across a not small number of people for him to not have been caught 20 times over. 

I want to see a show similar to this, only about the Chicago Ripper Crew. That would be terrifying. 

I watch a series on YouTube called the Casual Criminalist, and a takeaway from the series is that while we generally have this idea that serial killers are wicked geniuses, most of them are kind of stupid.

• True 1

I started watching it with my wife. She's hooked but I'm not sure if I'll continue. Its gruesome and I don't mind it. I just feel like I've heard a lot of these details before. Seeing them played out isn't necessary for me haha.  

I remember watching the movie My Friend Dahmer a few years ago.  After starting this show I thought the ending of the movie compliments the beginning of the show pretty nicely.  The movie ends with him finishing high school and he is on his own. Then the show starts and it's like "well here's what he's been up to".

38 minutes ago, Emblazon said:

Which is like, the whole point of this series... to show that Dahmer WASN'T some diabolical evil genius. He was just a sick pervert that preyed on a segment of society that no one gives a shit about... minority gay men. That's LITERALLY the point of this series. I had no idea that he was basically allowed to hunt the way he did due to cops simply not giving a fuck and being skeeved out by the idea of gay men having sex.  Ryan Murphy's other serial killer series, The Assassination of Gianni Versace deals with similar themes but from a different angle. Cunanan target gay men as well, but he targeted White middle to upper class gay men culminating in him killing Versace. He ALSO should have been caught a lot sooner as well but he wasn;t because Cops just didn't care enough to connect the dots. I think both series do a GREAT job of driving this point home. 

Most serial killers in this country opperate by killing folks on the margins of society that cops aren't going to put a lot of effort into solving... Prostitutes, Drug addicts, homeless people, runaways etc. Hannibal Lechter is a movie character, not a reality.

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Which is like, the whole point of this series... to show that Dahmer WASN'T some diabolical evil genius. He was just a sick pervert that preyed on a segment of society that no one gives a shit about... minority gay men. That's LITERALLY the point of this series. I had no idea that he was basically allowed to hunt the way he did due to cops simply not giving a fuck and being skeeved out by the idea of gay men having sex.  Ryan Murphy's other serial killer series, The Assassination of Gianni Versace deals with similar themes but from a different angle. Cunanan target gay men as well, but he targeted White middle to upper class gay men culminating in him killing Versace. He ALSO should have been caught a lot sooner as well but he wasn;t because Cops just didn't care enough to connect the dots. I think both series do a GREAT job of driving this point home. 

Most serial killers in this country opperate by killing folks on the margins of society that cops aren't going to put a lot of effort into solving... Prostitutes, Drug addicts, homeless people, runaways etc. Hannibal Lechter is a movie character, not a reality.

Breaking News: We know all that. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

You'd be surprised how many people DON'T know that... and if you do know it and don't care about the show or its subject matter, then why in god's name are you even in this topic?

Because it’s disgusting to glorify what this sicko did. Maybe you get off on that kinda stuff bruh. 

The show doesn’t glorify what he did. It puts more of a focus on the victims and how the piss poor system we have allowed him to keep getting away with it. 

First five episodes were difficult. The 6th episode was really well done and it just gutted me. Guy who played Tony Hughs was excellent. My only grip was that final scene. Just not needed after such an emotional episode. 

Final episode is why I think Christianity is such bullshit. Someone like Dahmer is apparently worthy of getting into Heaven because he gets “saved.” The rest of us are supposed to burn for eternity because we can’t believe in sky daddy. 

• Like 1
  • True 1

3 hours ago, Biggie said:

Because it’s disgusting to glorify what this sicko did. Maybe you get off on that kinda stuff bruh. 

It’s not as though the show treats Dahmer like he’s Dexter 😂 What glorification is going on in the show?

2 hours ago, sblfilms said:

It’s not as though the show treats Dahmer like he’s Dexter 😂 What glorification is going on in the show?

Everyone knows of Dahmer. Everyone knows what he did. Don’t think we need a mini-series. Maybe that’s what gets your rocks off huh sblfilms. 

9 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Everyone knows of Dahmer. Everyone knows what he did. Don’t think we need a mini-series. Maybe that’s what gets your rocks off huh sblfilms. 

Wasnt there a thing on discord where best didn’t know what he did actually? Like I think he tried to refer to himself as dahmer or something :lol:

6 minutes ago, Biggie said:

By your dodge here, you admit there is no glorification of Dahmer occurring. Glad we corrected the record.

6 hours ago, Biggie said:

Show doesn't glorify what this dude did at all... in fact it goes out of its way to show how pathetic Dahmer was and what an utter failure of law enforcement was that allowed this guy to operate for as long as he did. There are whole episodes of this series that don't even focus on HIM. They focus on his victims, their families, HIS family etc. So yeah... maybe you'd be better off just ignoring the shows existence since it clearly offends your sensibilites by existing rather than throwing cheap shots when you obviously have NO IDEA what you are talking about here. It's cool... not every show is for everybody... buy you're completely wrong in thinking that this is some kind of glorification of this dude. None of Ryan Murphy's shows about true crime events "glorify" or "sensationalize" their stories.

3 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Show doesn't glorify what this dude did at all... in fact it goes out of its way to show how pathetic Dahmer was and what an utter failure of law enforcement was that allowed this guy to operate for as long as he did. There are whole episodes of this series that don't even focus on HIM. They focus on his victims, their families, HIS family etc. So yeah... maybe you'd be better off just ignoring the shows existence since it clearly offends your sensibilites by existing rather than throwing cheap shots when you obviously have NO IDEA what you are talking about here. It's cool... not every show is for everybody... buy you're completely wrong in thinking that this is some kind of glorification of this dude. None of Ryan Murphy's shows about true crime events "glorify" or "sensationalize" their stories.

Some of the victim family members have said the show has opened up painful wounds from the past. But fuck them, as long as you get to eat your pop corn. 

1 hour ago, Biggie said:

Some of the victim family members have said the show has opened up painful wounds from the past. But fuck them, as long as you get to eat your pop corn. 

Wtf are you talking about? Don't act like you give a shit about the victim's families because you don't. I'm not sure what your problem is but please just move on... you don't care to watch the show we get it. Stop projecting your weird hang ups about people "getting off" to this in this thread. The show ISN'T sensational, it ISN'T glorifying anyone and it's does what it sets out to do VERY well. Jesus Christ... you're putting a LOT of effort into someting you claim you don't care about.

• Halal 1

52 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Wtf are you talking about? Don't act like you give a shit about the victim's families because you don't. I'm not sure what your problem is but please just move on... you don't care to watch the show we get it. Stop projecting your weird hang ups about people "getting off" to this in this thread. The show ISN'T sensational, it ISN'T glorifying anyone and it's does what it sets out to do VERY well. Jesus Christ... you're putting a LOT of effort into someting you claim you don't care about.

Don't act like you know what I give a shit about.

I watched the first 4 eps last weekend w/ my wife and we agreed, it is a VERY. HARD. WATCH! There is absolutely NO romanticism in what is being done, in fact its truly heartbreaking to get the news about your offspring being THIS vile & evil and having to see it through a parents eyes is just gutting.

• True 1

10 hours ago, SoberChef said:

So this popped into my feed and holy fuck, I feel as though Tracy Edwards still to this day deals with that night.

Also, why are @Biggie @sblfilmsbickering again?

That popped up in my feed too... No way I was watching that after seeing it protrayed in the film.

10 hours ago, SoberChef said:

There is absolutely NO romanticism in what is being done, in fact its truly heartbreaking to get the news about your offspring being THIS vile & evil and having to see it through a parents eyes is just gutting.

Yeah they do a good job of humanizing his parents ESPECIALLY his father. I forget that actor's name but he's great in everything I've ever seen him in. My only critique of the series is that it kinda fizzles at the end. Like it could have been one or two episodes shorter than it was.