Cavill Reportedly out as Superman

number305

Immediate reaction to a black superman: "I dunno, seems stupid."

Thought having reflected: "Actually, fuck it. Lets do it. Who actually gives a shit? And if they really wanted, they could even incorporate america's racist tendencies against blacks to shape an even more interesting story about america's relationship with a god-like figure who is black."

4 hours ago, LazyPiranha said:

God, I remember when a certain banned user argued on the old board that Superman had ALWAYS been a christ figure since the day he was created...  Sometimes I miss not having the old archives and sometimes I think it's for the best.

Lol I remember that! I tried to explain to him what really inspired classic Supes from the creator's own mouths... nope.:p Fun times.

2 hours ago, legend said:

Immediate reaction to a black superman: "I dunno, seems stupid."

Thought having reflected: "Actually, fuck it. Lets do it. Who actually gives a shit? And if they really wanted, they could even incorporate america's racist tendencies against blacks to shape an even more interesting story about america's relationship with a god-like figure who is black."

Yeah that's Icon's story basically...he came to earth as a child as well, but was found and raised by black slaves in the South.

• Thanks 1

On 9/12/2018 at 8:56 AM, skillzdadirecta said:

He probably likes how he looks in the beard.

If Aquaman, Shazam and the Wonder Woman sequel tank or underperform, we'll probably see a reboot or a different approach. They will probably focus on individual films rather than trying to emulate Marvel's shared Universe approach.

They should have done that from the start.

On 9/13/2018 at 2:50 PM, Remarkableriots said:

Didn't the rulers of New Genesis and Apokolips swap kids to create a truce between the two planets? I don't know a lot about the New Gods.

Yes that's right... Scott Free aka Mr. Miracle was from New Genesis and was "raised" on Apocakalips, and Orion was Darkseid's son but was raised on New Genesis. I don't know a lot about The New Gods but I know that.

On 9/12/2018 at 6:41 PM, LazyPiranha said:

*checks microphone*

*shuffles notes*

*composes self*

ahem

SUPERMAN IS A FUCKING ALIEN FROM A DIFFERENT GOD DAMN FUCKING PLANET.  HE DOESN'T HAVE A RACE THAT MEANS SHIT TO PEOPLE ON EARTH BECAUSE HE'S NOT EVEN FUCKING FROM HERE.  

You forget he’s from Kansas though. Also everyone assumes Goku is Asian and he’s also a carbon copy of Superman’s origin

4 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I’m from New Jersey actually. Home of Gotham City... at some point. Which is the home of Arkham. Unless we’re talking about Lovecraft in which case Arkham is in Massachusetts. Which is where Boston is and where I am now. 

Like Denise Richards, it’s complicated. 

I'm originally from Jersey too :hug:

3 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

I’m from New Jersey actually. Home of Gotham City... at some point. Which is the home of Arkham. Unless we’re talking about Lovecraft in which case Arkham is in Massachusetts. Which is where Boston is and where I am now. 

Like Denise Richards, it’s complicated. 

Oh so you're a poser Bostonian? :talkhand:

3 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I'm originally from Jersey too :hug:

Holy shit it's a fucking Jersey expat meetup ITT (I'm one too). :o

I don't know. If you make Superman anything but white you'd have the character contending with race relations in America. Especially if you kept the Kents white and in Kansas, you'd probably need Pa Kent trying to convince baby Superman not to overreact at his racist classmates or something.

That sounds dangerously like you're turning Superman into a somewhat interesting character.

Serious question though: are there not a bunch of alternative Supermen in the comics? I know there are a bunch of guys who are the Flash, Spider-Man, Green Lantern, and others. Has Superman had a bunch of alternative characters, or is he more or less uniform in the comics?

6 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I don't know. If you make Superman anything but white you'd have the character contending with race relations in America. Especially if you kept the Kents white and in Kansas, you'd probably need Pa Kent trying to convince baby Superman not to overreact at his racist classmates or something.

That sounds dangerously like you're turning Superman into a somewhat interesting character.

Serious question though: are there not a bunch of alternative Supermen in the comics? I know there are a bunch of guys who are the Flash, Spider-Man, Green Lantern, and others. Has Superman had a bunch of alternative characters, or is he more or less uniform in the comics?

There's the Chinese Superman and there's also the current Earth-2 Superman Val-Zod who IS in fact Black.