Nvidia - Geforce Beyond (EVGA) Event

Mr.Vic20

3 minutes ago, elbobo said:

1080 non-ti

Sweet baby Jesus my man, just buy a 3080!  It will use all the cool shyte they showed today and handle pretty much everything unless you are looking for 120FPS gameplay. Once the 4xxx is out you should be able top grab one for a reasonible price. 

5 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

AMD would really have to wow me to get me to switch at this point. They just feel so far behind, and that's a shame, because nVidia really needs solid competition. #SaveUsMatrox

Yeah, I don't think they're going to have answer for Nvidia's AI accelerated computing, which they are going all-in for. For pure shader performance AMD is on par with, maybe even a little ahead, of Nvidia. And AMD's first gen RT performance was on par with Nvidia's first gen RT performance. But unless they can just brute force the performance with their chiplet design, they're going to be so far behind in RT performance this gen.

2 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Yeah, I don't think they're going to have answer for Nvidia's AI accelerated computing, which they are going all-in for. For pure shader performance AMD is on par with, maybe even a little ahead, of Nvidia. And AMD's first gen RT performance was on par with Nvidia's first gen RT performance. But unless they can just brute force the performance with their chiplet design, they're going to be so far behind in RT performance this gen.

Does AMD invest in AI? I don't remember.

4 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

That's kind of the problem. AMD was on first gen when NVDA was on second gen.

4 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

That's kind of the problem. AMD was on first gen when NVDA was on second gen.

It's possible RT may not be a huge deal for the next few years anyway, until a console refresh comes along. Developers are going to focus on the current consoles, and their RT performance will be limited to AMD's current capabilities. So that's probably one reason Nvidia focused on modding older games with RT effects in this keynote, because there will probably be only a few upcoming AAA games to really push RT.

• Halal 1

Just now, cusideabelincoln said:

It's possible RT may not be a huge deal for the next few years anyway, until a console refresh comes along. Developers are going to focus on the current consoles, and their RT performance will be limited to AMD's current capabilities. So that's probably one reason Nvidia focused on modding older games with RT effects in this keynote.

There are more and more RT games all the time. It may be limited to just reflections most of the time due to the limitations you mentioned, however: framerate, framerate, framerate.