2018 iPhone & Apple Watch announcement event (Wednesday at 1 PM EDT)

RedSoxFan9

37 minutes ago, _BJ_ said:

You don’t have to get the Nike band. I’m thinking of getting of this.

By the way, apple does trade in?   I have a stainless steel Series 2 but want a Series 4 with GPS so I was hoping to do a trade in. 

On the order page of any given product they have a little box that says "Do you have a watch to trade in?" after the boxes where you pick the model. Right below the Apple Care push.

5 minutes ago, legend said:

If you're not interested in fitness functions, is there anything interesting about the watch? 

Phone free calls with the LTE model

Push notifications on your wrist (texts, emails, app specific messages)

Walkie-talkie functionality with other Apple Watch users.

App specific complications (Baseball game scores, air quality indices etc.)

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Anzo said:

Phone free calls with the LTE model

Push notifications on your wrist (texts, emails, app specific messages)

Walkie-talkie functionality with other Apple Watch users.

App specific complications (Baseball game scores, air quality indices etc.)

Thanks. I kind of want one just because I like tech like this, but whenever I think about it, it's never clear it would do anything for me. Though I can see how those features would be useful for some, sadly I don't think they'd do anything for me.

1 minute ago, legend said:

Thanks. I kind of want one just because I like tech like this, but whenever I think about it, it's never clear it would do anything for me. Though I can see how those features would be useful for some, sadly I don't think they'd do anything for me.

Silent alarm. I will never use an audio alarm ever again to wake up. 

10 minutes ago, legend said:

Sounds interesting, but does that mean you're wearing it when you go to sleep? If so, when do you charge it?

That I do. I also have an app called Auto-Sleep that monitors my sleep quality. 

Battery life is so good on the Series 3 that the only time I charge my Watch is when I'm taking a shower and getting dressed in the morning. And I've got the cellular version, too. 

4 minutes ago, Emblazon said:

Battery life is so good on the Series 3 that the only time I charge my Watch is when I'm taking a shower and getting dressed in the morning. And I've got the cellular version, too. 

This is good to know! I’ve used silent alarms when napping but never overnight Due to battery life. 

9 minutes ago, Emblazon said:

Nice. So I guess it also changes pretty fast too then?

3 minutes ago, Anzo said:

This is good to know! I’ve used silent alarms when napping but never overnight Due to battery life. 

The only things that drain the battery are GPS workouts and phone calls. That's it. We were at Six Flags all day on Saturday, and I didn't have any workouts active or anything, just normal notifications, and when I checked my watch around 8-9pm, the charge was still over 90%.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, legend said:

Nice. So I guess it also changes pretty fast too then?

That it does. From the 30 minutes or so it takes me to get ready in the morning, the charge goes from somewhere in the 40% range up to close to 100%, if not 100%. 

The only time you'd ever have to worry is if you went a few days without charging. 

• Like 1

I'm not sure if this has already been posted, but it's pretty awesome that Apple actually shot all the video for their motion watch faces:

These seem like exactly the kind of thing that you'd just render, and it's unlikely that anyone would have known differently, especially for a watch, but it's pretty cool.

Played with all the new shit. The Tennis Max is amazing. Love the size. Feels smaller in my hand, but the screen is massive. No problems using it at all. Still more than happy with my 8 Plus, but look forward to eventually going to one of these all-screen models in a few years.

The new watch is nice. The bigger screen is great.

Not a lot to say really, it's all exactly about what you would expect. Nice, but not that exciting of a year-over-year update. I doubt we'll be seeing many of those in the future, so get used to it. This market is now mature and will no longer be exciting.

Loving the size of the max. Coming from a few years of plus size phones then switching back to the smaller X, it still feels natural using this. Except now the screen is huge and gorgeous. No issues handling it or fitting it in my pockets here, but at 6’4 perhaps my pockets are bigger than some. As for normal typing, I always used two hands anyway most of the time, and that actually works better with the larger size.

On 9/20/2018 at 3:17 PM, TwinIon said:

I'm not sure if this has already been posted, but it's pretty awesome that Apple actually shot all the video for their motion watch faces:

These seem like exactly the kind of thing that you'd just render, and it's unlikely that anyone would have known differently, especially for a watch, but it's pretty cool.

Holy fuck that's badass. 

Got my watch today. The watch itself fees almost the exact same size as my Series 3. The watch is super snappy. Still getting used to it.

One thing, looks like 3rd party apps have to update their complications to be compatible with the new watch size, so I'm currently back to using the default weather app because Dark Sky hasn't updated their complications yet. 

48 minutes ago, RedSoxFan9 said:

Sometimes I forget that people aren’t into watches. I was cinfused when people gave Apple shit for the term “Digital Crown” until I realized they thought it was a pretentious thing to call something and didn’t realize that part of analog watches is called a crown. 

I just spent a good hour looking at the differences between the series 3 and 4 watches, wondering if I should spring for the newer one, combing craigslist looking to see if people were dumping their 3s (they are), looking up different band options, checking out all the apps... then I realized that I've never liked having things on my wrist and I would almost certainly never use this. 

On 9/25/2018 at 3:53 PM, GeneticBlueprint said:

My FIL bought a new XS on release day and asked me to help him transfer all of his stuff since he's technologically illiterate. The device is sexy AF besides the notch and the UI is gorgeous. But I'm too used to Android at this point.

For most people the notch will "go away" within hours of use. You adjust to it and then hardly notice that its even there. I've even come to appreciate it at times.

I had the same problem when I tried the essential phone out for a couple weeks a month or so ago. Android P is great, looks great, got great features, but I'm just set in my ways at this point. I didn't really "miss" my iphone, but I noticed that I was using my phone less and less and wasn't doing what I'd normally do on my phone.

Picked up a series 4 last week: really like the larger screen size, although it feels like my battery is draining more quickly than it did with the Series 3.  Also, in the YMMV category, I don't think I ever had the kinds of battery performance that Emblazon mentioned: mine certainly wasn't horrible, but I generally need a good 60-90 minutes charging/day on average.  

Really looking closely at getting the XS Max, but the emerging reports of charging issues have me a little concerned.  From a few articles I've read, it seems like this could be a potentially pervasive issue, which has not yet been confirmed to be software-related.

Oh, the battery life on the Series 4 doesn't seem as good as the Series 3 for sure. It's not bad, but it's definitely not as good. It's a minor trade off considering how amazing the Series 4 is. 

The Moon complication is bugged--the time remaining until rise & set won't auto- update. It only seems to update if you switch watch faces and then back again. 

Also, the Peak Battery life on my X seems to be draining like a freight train. It was at 99% just a couple of weeks ago, now it's down to 93%. 

I’m not getting the battery performance nor charging efficiency that @Emblazon mentioned he had with the series 3 either.  I am able to sleep with it and use a silent alarm, which is more than I can say with my S0. I get a good amount of charge back even if I only leave it on there for 10-15 minutes. 

It is weird, some days the battery Lasts forever and others I lose 50% after a few hours without workouts. 

The battery life I was talking about was only on my Series 3. 

Also, when Watch OS 5 released, they FINALLY fixed the issue of not getting workout credit when using the Outdoor Walk workout. Turns out, Apple didn't like that being fixed and reverted it right back in the most recent update, citing "some users getting higher workout minutes than they should"... NO, assholes, it was finally working properly, and now it's not again. :angry:

• 1 month later...