2018 iPhone & Apple Watch announcement event (Wednesday at 1 PM EDT)

RedSoxFan9

1 hour ago, BlueAngel said:

Long story short: my iPhone 5 was stolen, a few months go buy and I was able to recover it. Before it got stolen I was planning to take it in for battery service as there was a recall on the battery, well obviously I wasn't able to take it in. It just so happens the day I got the phone back from the company who had my phone I was 1 day out of warranty, they wouldn't honor the battery service even with a police report showing the phone was stolen and I just recovered it. They basically told me to pound sand, I've owned every iPhone up until that point. Now I actually do have an iPhone 8 Plus but that's a work phone my personal line is a Galaxy S9+.

As opposed to an Android phone where there is no warranty?

Did you try to run your issue up the chain? I have a hard time believing they wouldn't resolve it. Apple has, hands down, the best customer service in retail. I walked in one day saying the double click on my home button wasn't functioning properly, the rep couldn't reproduce it, and then said "we want you to be happy--let me go grab you a new phone." 

5 hours ago, BlueAngel said:

I know what to expect from Android phones, same goes for Apple. I tried to go higher but gave up after getting shot down again and again. Was such a small issue but they weren't having it.

There is always the online chat and calls for genius appointments. I’ve tried the call before and had my situation resolved that was earlier refused in store.

All in all it usually comes down to the employee unfortunately. I’ve had some friends have horror stories, other times I’ve had phones swapped with almost no questions asked. 

8 hours ago, BlueAngel said:

Long story short: my iPhone 5 was stolen, a few months go buy and I was able to recover it. Before it got stolen I was planning to take it in for battery service as there was a recall on the battery, well obviously I wasn't able to take it in. It just so happens the day I got the phone back from the company who had my phone I was 1 day out of warranty, they wouldn't honor the battery service even with a police report showing the phone was stolen and I just recovered it. They basically told me to pound sand, I've owned every iPhone up until that point. Now I actually do have an iPhone 8 Plus but that's a work phone my personal line is a Galaxy S9+.

This sucks, and is the complete opposite of literally any time I’ve had issues with Apple hardware. I’ve had at least 3 or 4 put if warranty repairs done for free and I never even had to ask. Bummer dude.

Still rocking my 6S and will until it dies. I used to renew my phone every 2 years with my contract. But once they went to this new “convent” way of leasing you the phone for the entire amount instead of a discount when you re-up, Im out. Even when the 6 dies I’ll probably buy an older model. I doubt I ever buy a brand new phone again with how out of control it’s gotten. 

2 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

What’s the difference between the base model and the Nike model?  I use the Nike Run app for my workouts a couple of times a week but it seems to work with the base model so I’m confused why there is a Nike model  

The Nike model pisses off conservatives. That’s the main difference.

On 9/13/2018 at 8:01 AM, ManUtdRedDevils said:

What’s the difference between the base model and the Nike model?  I use the Nike Run app for my workouts a couple of times a week but it seems to work with the base model so I’m confused why there is a Nike model  

Different band, more watch faces, Nike complications, ceramic backing (otherwise only on Stainless Steel models). You get quite a bit more for the same price.

23 hours ago, ort said:

I think the Nike watches come with different bands, a few exclusive watch faces and the Nike Plus software pre-installed. (You can download Nike Plus onto any watch for free, so not a big deal).

No, you can't. The Nike content is exclusive to the Nike models. That is to say, the Nike apps, Nike Run Club and Nike Training Club apps can be downloaded to any iPhone, and thus installed to any Apple Watch, but the faces & complications that come with the Nike Watch can only be had on the Nike edition. 

Basically, if you're going Aluminum, there's zero reason to not get the Nike version. 

Unless you're an inbred Redneck--then get the Nike edition and cut the logos out of the watch. 

• Thanks 1

I don't think there is a difference in the glass. I've never heard that before and googling brings up nothing on that.

I think it really is just the different band and a few extra watch faces.

I won't be getting the Nike version, because I've always found Nike to be an annoying company... even though I support them in hating America and our troops.

27 minutes ago, ort said:

I don't think there is a difference in the glass. I've never heard that before and googling brings up nothing on that.

I think it really is just the different band and a few extra watch faces.

I won't be getting the Nike version, because I've always found Nike to be an annoying company... even though I support them in hating America and our troops.

That was my mis-type. Not the glass. The back of the watch is ceramic. 

EDIT: And it looks like they changed that for the Series 4--the Aluminum and Nike version now have the same backing. 

I think it really just comes down to band preference more than anything.

I want the silver watch with a black band, but they don't sell that. I think I'm going to get the grey one with the grey velcro strap deal, non-cellular.

I'm not in any rush though, will wait for reviews and seeing it in person. Might put it on my Xmas list and see if my parents feel like splurging this year...

The watch will very much be a toy for me... I really really don't need it at all. It's just another blinky bloopy doo-dad to distract me a bit while I march slowly toward my impending doom.

If I needed a new phone this year, I think I would probably get the Xr.

I like having a zoom lens on my phone, but honestly, I barely use it. I don't care at all about 3D touch. I'm sure the Xs has a better screen, but seriously, all screens on all phones are great now. This doesn't matter much...

And the real reason? It gets better battery life. And I like $250 bucks.

Are the Air Pods the same size/shape of their other earbuds? If so, I couldn't use them. Those things fall out of my ears constantly. I use earbuds all day at work, and it's an active job. I just know that the first time I climb a ladder while holding a box, one of those things would fall out and shatter on the concrete floor. 

I upgraded to iPhone X last year, from an iPhone 6 Plus. The choices this year look great, but I typically keep my phone for a while, at least until a substantial design change.

I recently upgraded my OG Series 0 Watch to Series 3 GPS, but I love the look of Series 4, and that it works with all the bands I've purchased over the past 3 years. Plus Apple is offering $175 trade-in on my current Watch, so that makes it easy to pull the trigger.

I too LOVE LOVE LOVE my AirPods. They make more of a difference than you would ever expect.

I'm surprised Apple doesn't try to make a SKU of the iPhone that comes with AirPods. Charge $100 more and let people  finance them along with their phones. Most people wouldn't even think twice about it.

On 9/15/2018 at 6:02 AM, Wild said:

The way Apple is headed they'll have to pry my SE out of my cold, dead hands. Fingerprint and a headphone jack are critical features for me, and both the notch and the Face ID are permanent deal breakers.

Face ID is a HUGE improvement over Touch ID. It works better, and doesn't require dry fingers to get into your phone. 

4 hours ago, Emblazon said:

Face ID is a HUGE improvement over Touch ID. It works better, and doesn't require dry fingers to get into your phone. 

It also requires me to pick up my phone or awkwardly hover over it to unlock it. My fingers are dry before I use my phone, so that's not an issue. Fingerprint works great, and my face is not something I want to use as an ID.

I must have overlooked this thread otherwise I'd have commented earlier.

Bought a Series 4 for my wife and I. Bought her an aluminum since that is the only way to get Rose Gold plus an aluminum and stainless steel version for myself because I'm a 1%er...........not really! My main function for my watch is activity stuff so while I love the increased durability of the sapphire glass on the SS, I'm not sure if I will like the little extra weight of it. So I'm going to try both and return one of them after deciding. Coming from a S0 this will be a HUGE improvement. I was very close to buying an S3 last year but glad I held out.

Regarding the phone. I really struggled with the decision to upgrade or not. I have an 8+ on the annual upgrade plan. While this is relatively boring as far as S years go, it is a more refined X model, which is what I was hoping for. So I opted for an Xs with the intent to keep it for a few years this time around. Even though I've had Plus models since they released them, after messing around with my boss's X last week, my hands work better with that model than what the Max would require in regards to flipping to the home screen and stuff.