The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom - update: 10+ million copies sold worldwide in first three days (fastest selling title in the Zelda series)

Keyser_Soze

8 hours ago, best3444 said:

I think it will look fine. I mean I'm playing Xenoblade Chronicles 3 and I think it looks beautiful. This will look better if I remember correctly. I'm hyped for it because of those new abilities. 

You know Monolithsoft worked on all these games so it should look at least as good as Xenoblade. :p

27 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

You know Monolithsoft worked on all these games so it should look at least as good as Xenoblade. :p

To Xenoblade 3 ... maybe?  They have pretty different visual styles, so barring any IQ issues it's going to come down to preference.

gkYbEFL.jpg

GbvWa1G.jpg

3ksPcfz.jpg

mhkbtid.jpg

Zelda's textures are a little lacking by comparison, sticking to its BoTW roots.  But it'll make up for it in artistic lighting.  Plus you know how much more interactive the world will be.

4 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

To Xenoblade 3 ... maybe?  They have pretty different visual styles, so barring any IQ issues it's going to come down to preference.

Zelda's textures are a little lacking by comparison, sticking to its BoTW roots.  But it'll make up for it in artistic lighting.  Plus you know how much more interactive the world will be.

idk how XB3 looks/runs but 2 was ugly as shit. It used "dynamic" resolution that was pretty much always running at 600p. When it ran at native res it looked very nice but that seemed to be happen very seldomly.

BotW was far more tecnically impressive considering: it was a launch title, the draw distance was great, the load times were virtually non-existent and it had a steady resolution. It's not the prettiest game but it runs miles better. 

50 minutes ago, thedarkstark said:

idk how XB3 looks/runs but 2 was ugly as shit. It used "dynamic" resolution that was pretty much always running at 600p. When it ran at native res it looked very nice but that seemed to be happen very seldomly.

BotW was far more tecnically impressive considering: it was a launch title, the draw distance was great, the load times were virtually non-existent and it had a steady resolution. It's not the prettiest game but it runs miles better. 

Xenoblade 3 to 2 is a night and day difference.  They developed a new temporal upscaling algorithm based on Activison’s work on CoD, and it’s a best case scenario for Switch games.  So much so that in portable mode it actually supersamples from the reconstructed resolution down to the screen’s.  It rarely dips resolution and framerate, and looks great.  If TotK uses it, that could theoretically lead to a notable IQ uplift.

I don’t actually have a great reference point for BotW on Switch - I played it on Wii U.  But Xenoblade X was more technically accomplished visually and with performance stability there.  It’s possible 3 could be likewise to Tears on Switch.

That said, Zelda’s got so much more going on with physics and the like, it’s hard to compare apples to apples.  I just think some of the ground and wall texture work looks iffy, even if being more stylized.  This new footage isn’t changing my mind on that, it’s still very much what BotW did.

I was able to preorder the Zelda OLED. Always said if they made a Zelda Switch, i'd get it to go with my other Zelda Edition handhelds/consoles. My Hyrulian Edition 3DS is by far the best looking piece of hardware Nintendo has made. It's unopened too, so it's probably worth a few bills for sure. I also have a Zelda GBA, DS, and two different 3DS, and the Zelda WiiU. All the Gold carts. I fell in love with Zelda and the stuff they make for the IP very young. I think Zelda is probably my most played NES game growing up. Part 2, not so much, but still beat it a few times. 

I have an OLED already. I did decide to sell my OG to a friend very cheap though, with two pairs of upgraded joycons (magnetic sticks), and 3 games I had in doubles (MK8, BotW, and AC) for 250$ TO help the sting of the cost of a console that is being bought to sit in a box next to other pretty boxed consoles. I don't do a ton of physical game collecting, just Action/RPG's from NES/SNES/PSX generations, but the stuff I do collect, I love. Zelda, and anything Square and Enix pre-merger, because that's my childhood gaming experience.

7 hours ago, thedarkstark said:

xbc3 is the best looking game on Switch, it's shocking what they did with it. Zelda won't  come close. 

Man, I wish Nintendo would just make games, and get out of hardware. Just focus on delivering amazing games, nothing else. I know it won't happen, but still. 

• True 1

I’m sure I’m in the minority, but I really like what Nintendo do with their hardware and their insistence on having something significantly different. To remove them from that creative space would probably mean the end of ‘interesting’ changes to console gaming and instead a series of custom PCs being built by various manufacturers.

16 minutes ago, gamer.tv said:

I’m sure I’m in the minority, but I really like what Nintendo do with their hardware and their insistence on having something significantly different. To remove them from that creative space would probably mean the end of ‘interesting’ changes to console gaming and instead a series of custom PCs being built by various manufacturers.

I don't think that's a minority opinion, even among those of us that consistently wish for more powerful Nintendo hardware.

I also don't think anyone could rightly claim in hindsight that Nintendo made the wrong decision with their hardware in the Switch. Yeah, the SoC they went with was old, underpowered, and unimpressive at launch six years ago, but the Switch has been such an incredible success that it's hard to imagine a bit more horsepower would have sold many more units. On the other hand, I bet using that old Tegra chip really helped with their profit margins.

Nintendo doing their own thing is good for Nintendo and good for the industry.

That said, I'll continue to harp on it because I value graphics. Not necessarily above all else, but I very much believe in the power of good graphics to elevate a gaming experience, and Nintendo makes good games. Even I don't necessarily want to see Nintendo re-badge a PC just to run Zelda at 4K. I want them to continue to find success in doing their own thing, I just wish they wouldn't stay quite so far behind the curve. Zelda doesn't need ray tracing to be a great game, but I sure would pony up the cash if it were an option.

• True 1
  • Halal 1

9 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

Some nice improvements from BOTW, but obviously doesn't answer the question of why the Shiekah towers, and shrines are gone. Though they did point out a Shrine that has become stone, and has a glowing halo above it. Then there's those other towers, plus the increased draw distance. Makes me think there are several new areas to explore that weren't the case in BOTW. 

Given TOTK is about 50% larger in terms of file size compared to BOTW, there are definitely new places to explore. 

23 minutes ago, imthesoldier said:

Some nice improvements from BOTW, but obviously doesn't answer the question of why the Shiekah towers, and shrines are gone. Though they did point out a Shrine that has become stone, and has a glowing halo above it. Then there's those other towers, plus the increased draw distance. Makes me think there are several new areas to explore that weren't the case in BOTW. 

Given TOTK is about 50% larger in terms of file size compared to BOTW, there are definitely new places to explore. 

I kinda hope this is before BotW and sets up the events that lead to the calamity, but who knows?

4 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

I kinda hope this is before BotW and sets up the events that lead to the calamity, but who knows?

Age of Calamity already did this.

Its nothing special.  Basically the same plot as Link to the Past.  A wizard seeks to revive Ganon’s power and control it.  No idea what became of him in BotW proper though.

33 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Age of Calamity already did this.

Its nothing special.  Basically the same plot as Link to the Past.  A wizard seeks to revive Ganon’s power and control it.  No idea what became of him in BotW proper though.

That isn’t canon though.

The Fuse and Burrowing mechanics are pretty significant (without knowing their limitations)… so burrowing is a skill now, I wonder what other Mario Galaxy 2 mechanic will get expanded upon?

I was always content with the majority of BOTW, though I did wish a few more Lynel level threat enemies existed.. DarkNuts and Iron Knuckles would be great to explore in this expanded combat system..

I just hope it remains hard to crest the difficulty level…

11 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

I was able to preorder the Zelda OLED. Always said if they made a Zelda Switch, i'd get it to go with my other Zelda Edition handhelds/consoles. My Hyrulian Edition 3DS is by far the best looking piece of hardware Nintendo has made.

I only beg to differ because of this beast...

spacer.png

Also keep that zelda 3ds sealed, new 3DS systems go for buttloads now. I almost feel like a crypto bro now because of how crazy I went on collecting 3ds systems.