The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom - update: 10+ million copies sold worldwide in first three days (fastest selling title in the Zelda series)

Keyser_Soze

I really hope it's fun. I haven't enjoyed a new Zelda game in what feels like forever. I couldn't really get into Skyward Sword because of the waggle controls on the Wii (haven't played the FULL PRICE port yet) and Breath of the Wild just kinda bored me.

I miss the tightly designed areas where everything was intentional. BotW's big sandbox approach isn't why I go to Zelda.

Maybe I'm just weird for wanting the same thing over and over again, but Zelda games had the solid foundation with whatever little gameplay gimmick that mixed it up a little, and that was what I liked about it. 

• True 1

25 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

I really hope it's fun. I haven't enjoyed a new Zelda game in what feels like forever. I couldn't really get into Skyward Sword because of the waggle controls on the Wii (haven't played the FULL PRICE port yet) and Breath of the Wild just kinda bored me.

I miss the tightly designed areas where everything was intentional. BotW's big sandbox approach isn't why I go to Zelda.

Maybe I'm just weird for wanting the same thing over and over again, but Zelda games had the solid foundation with whatever little gameplay gimmick that mixed it up a little, and that was what I liked about it. 

Skyward Sword is the closest 3D Zelda to Link’s Awakening in its structure, IMO.  There is a hub world of sorts, but it’s even less of an emphasis than Majora’a was.  If you can get over the controls, it’s a great send off to traditional 3D Zelda.  The dungeons are even better than Twilight Princess’s.  And I like it’s weapon upgrade system a lot better than BotW’s.  There’s some pacing issues at times, but nothing that ruins what makes it good.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom | Coming May 12, 2023, update: "Mr. Aonuma Gameplay Demonstration" video, "gold" status announced

I know on first glance it looks like DLC to BotW, but I'm sure there's far more to this than what they're showing. Nearly every Zelda feels like it's own thing, even ones that are direct sequels or even use the same assets.

With that said, I really don't want to explore the same basic Hyrule again even if things are slightly changed. Fusing and building look cool though. Crafting generally isn't my favorite thing in a game, but this implementation has me interested. Crossing my fingers for traditional dungeons and more music.

Don’t forget to voucher this game so you can get another game like either of the awesome recent Kirby games for only $30!

Some of these mechanics look good. A lot of what I didn’t like in BOTW is the stamina and climbing just felt like a lot and wasn’t very fun to me. If you can just superhero to the top now I like that a lot more. Fuse at least might make experimenting with different weapons fun/worth it but I hope regular weapons last longer.

It’s really just the same map though? Is it a full new map in addition in the sky? 

I originally thought they would do an expansion type sequel using the same map but like…in two years or something. Since this took 6 years, the same development time as BOTW itself, Im thinking there has to be something more to this still we haven’t seen?

More tools in the sandbox is cool but I do want to see how this becomes maybe more of a Zelda game with dungeons and stuff.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, stepee said:

I originally thought they would do an expansion type sequel using the same map but like…in two years or something. Since this took 6 years, the same development time as BOTW itself, Im thinking there has to be something more to this still we haven’t seen?

I'm in the middle of Atelier Ryza 3, and I was just wondering the same thing. In Ryza 3 they have the same map as Ryza 1, only with a bunch of changes from the last four years plus a whole other extra regions to explore that are larger than the first game's map.

It's one of those, remember how big this world was? Now check this place out.

22 minutes ago, stepee said:

Don’t forget to voucher this game so you can get another game like either of the awesome recent Kirby games for only $30!

Good call btw. I either forgot about this program or never knew it existed. I think I’ll go with the Advance Wars set that’s finally coming out next month. 

• Halal 1

15 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

It looks great, but I can't help but want a game that's running in a higher resolution. The art of that game is begging to be enjoyed on hardware that's not 8 years old or whatever it is now. 

If I decide to get this right away and not see if there is a port to Switch 2 next year then I really might buy it but then try just emulating it on my desktop at 4k/60 and then for handheld just stream it to moonlight. I only have a switch oled so I’ll have to find out how you get the warez these days. Do people still call pirated games warez?

I'm still not sold. Looks like more of the same and I put about 100+ hrs in BotW. Also looks like more having to manage the bajeezus out of inventory because of durability and the added fusion is kinda cool but I guess I'm too traditional. Just give me a good weapon selection with fair durability and put it in a new Zelda world and I'd be all over it. With this one seem like I'd always be thinking there's something I'm not doing or doing right because of the massive amount of fiddling, crafting, fusing, time reversal etc and Elden Ring kinda burned me out on that. My brain just ain't wired that way anymore. 

The new abilities look great. They might be even more flexible than the powers in the last game. It's going to be awesome to see what people come up with.

I really hope that Fuse isn't the only change they made to item durability.

Seeing this game really does make me wish for upgraded Switch hardware. I'm sure the game will be great, but every time I pull out my switch I feel like I'm going back in time.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I think it will look fine. I mean I'm playing Xenoblade Chronicles 3 and I think it looks beautiful. This will look better if I remember correctly. I'm hyped for it because of those new abilities. 

It looks good and I am going to love it. But that’s kind of my point. In 4K this game would be one of the best looking games ever for my taste. 

• True 1

3 hours ago, stepee said:

Some of these mechanics look good. A lot of what I didn’t like in BOTW is the stamina and climbing just felt like a lot and wasn’t very fun to me. If you can just superhero to the top now I like that a lot more. Fuse at least might make experimenting with different weapons fun/worth it but I hope regular weapons last longer.

It’s really just the same map though? Is it a full new map in addition in the sky? 

More tools in the sandbox is cool but I do want to see how this becomes maybe more of a Zelda game with dungeons and stuff.

I was hoping the hookshot would make a return to help manage stamina and climbing, and while still possible it seems Ascend and Fuse do the things a grappling gun would do.

One of the aspects that sucked me into BotW was the quests. The little pockets of civilization were rewarding and made the world feel alive and believable (similar to Clock Town in MM), so I hope they expanded the NPCs.

2 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

It looks great, but I can't help but want a game that's running in a higher resolution. The art of that game is begging to be enjoyed on hardware that's not 8 years old or whatever it is now. 

The video makes the game look worse than I remember BotW looking on Switch and WiiU. But after the first 10 hours, I transferred my save over to an emulator and played pretty much all of BotW in glorious 4k emulation and other graphical tweaks so my reference point is greatly skewed.

29 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Wait...the Nintendo OLED is difficult to find? Or am I not following correctly? I was at my local target not too long ago and they had plenty in stock. 

I think he’s talking about the limited edition Tears of the Kingdom themed one they’re releasing. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, best3444 said:

Wait...the Nintendo OLED is difficult to find? Or am I not following correctly? I was at my local target not too long ago and they had plenty in stock. 

1 hour ago, Mercury33 said:

I think he’s talking about the limited edition Tears of the Kingdom themed one they’re releasing. 

Indeed.

• Halal 1