Update: 65" LG C9 OLED is $2,096 at Amazon and $1,700 at Newegg

AbsolutSurgen

43 minutes ago, legend said:

Well, the reason for Game mode isn't that it will make the picture look better, it's that it will drastically decrease the response time of the screen, meaning your control inputs will be seen more quickly.

If you're just watching video you should feel free to use other picture settings that use additional processing that increase the response time, but may result in a better image.

Game Mode also, iirc, does things to limit image retention and burn-in.

15 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Game Mode also, iirc, does things to limit image retention and burn-in.

It very well might, though I suspect if he's just playing games and watching videos it wont be quite as important since that's more typical for what the TV should handle.

1 hour ago, legend said:

CNN logos :p That kind of stuff is in TV too.

Which is why it’s recommended not to watch programs with stock and news tickers on an OLED for long periods on AVSForums and R/HomeTheater, and to switch to game mode if you do.

Vivid has the highest potential for burn-in with the over bright colors and contrast. If he can’t tell the difference then he should definitely use game mode for gaming at the very least. I’m confused as to why this is even a debate.

17 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Which is why it’s recommended not to watch programs with stock and news tickers on an OLED for long periods on AVSForums and R/HomeTheater, and to switch to game mode if you do.

Vivid has the highest potential for burn-in with the over bright colors and contrast. If he can’t tell the difference then he should definitely use game mode for gaming at the very least. I’m confused as to why this is even a debate.

I didn't say image burn in can't happen, I said game mode is "not quite as important." Testing shows LGs OLEDs have pretty good resistance to image burn even under the worst use cases. If he's using it under typical TV conditions, I don't think he has to worry as much.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, legend said:

I didn't say image burn in can't happen, I said game mode is "not quite as important." Testing shows LGs OLEDs have pretty good resistance to image burn even under the worst use cases. If he's using it under typical TV conditions, I don't think he has to worry as much.

For watching (regular) TV, sure, vivid is probably fine, however “long game sessions” is what I stated for game mode and I certainly do not believe falls under “typical”. Even if you somehow think 90+ minutes of a static HUD on the screen falls under typical, why risk the long-term potential for burn-in when it takes 5 seconds to switch modes? 

46 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

He can't tell the difference in input lag but he can notice the difference in picture quality, that's what's holding him back.

Well, uncalibrated preset picture quality anyway. :p

41 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

For watching (regular) TV, sure, vivid is probably fine, however “long game sessions” is what I stated for game mode and I certainly do not believe falls under “typical”. Even if you somehow think 90+ minutes of a static HUD on the screen falls under typical, why risk the long-term potential for burn-in when it takes 5 seconds to switch modes? 

I think he'd have to be putting in truly hardcore long gaming sessions for that to matter. As I said, the tests show it being pretty robust even in worse conditions than having some long gaming sessions.

38 minutes ago, legend said:

I think he'd have to be putting in truly hardcore long gaming sessions for that to matter. As I said, the tests show it being pretty robust even in worse conditions than having some long gaming sessions.

What tests, specifically with gaming and being run out of game mode and in a high-contrast & over brightened mode, like vivid, are you referencing? The only tests I’ve seen are from normal TV viewing habits and generally done with calibrated settings, not with static images on the screen for hours at a time.

6 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

What tests, specifically with gaming and being run out of game mode and in a high-contrast & over brightened mode, like vivid, are you referencing? The only tests I’ve seen are from normal TV viewing habits and generally done with calibrated settings, not with static images on the screen for hours at a time.

Here's a space of various harsh tests from the 2017 models. They are all unusually harsh tests, but still span a interesting range of problematic conditions.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/real-life-oled-burn-in-test

Despite these harsh conditions it actually holds up quite well. The constant CoD test in particular seemed remarkably resistant. Non-stop CNN was the worst. Here is there most recent conclusion:

Update 05/31/2019: The TVs have now been running for over 9000 hours (around 5 years at 5 hours every day). Uniformity issues have developed on the TVs displaying Football and FIFA 18, and are starting to develop on the TV displaying Live NBC. Our stance remains the same, we don't expect most people who watch varied content without static areas to experience burn-in issues with an OLED TV.

2 minutes ago, legend said:

Update 05/31/2019: The TVs have now been running for over 9000 hours (around 5 years at 5 hours every day). Uniformity issues have developed on the TVs displaying Football and FIFA 18, and are starting to develop on the TV displaying Live NBC. Our stance remains the same, we don't expect most people who watch varied content without static areas to experience burn-in issues with an OLED TV.

Gaming has static areas (the HUD). That’s why I’m suggesting game mode.

9 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I did. I’m going by rtings conclusion. Game mode is there for a reason.

I'm really not quite sure why you're not understanding the claim I'm making and how that is supported by what I just posted, but I don't think we're going to make progress at this point.

At any rate, Biggie now has the information at his disposal and can make an informed decision based on his habits and preferences.

14 minutes ago, legend said:

I'm really not quite sure why you're not understanding the claim I'm making and how that is supported by what I just posted, but I don't think we're going to make progress at this point.

You’re 100% correct in that I really don’t understand what point you’re trying to make in not using game mode to mitigate long-term burn-in, and then posting an article/review that supports my statements regarding static images being displayed. Is your point that burn-in generally isn’t an issue? I never stated otherwise. However, people generally don’t do gaming sessions long enough to beat something like Death Stranding in about a week like Biggie (or many of us) did. For most people, burn-in is not a concern for OLEDs, I never once stated it was, I’d even say that it’s not an issue (at all) for gamers like us... unless you’re doing something ridiculous like playing a game with a HUD for multiple hours in friggen vivid mode... which is all I cautioned against. Game mode is there not only to give you the lowest input lag, but to help prevent any possible burn in from the static information displayed in games.

Guys guys, it’s okay. I wished I hadn’t asked now. If these very expensive televisions were getting permanent burn in from 90 minutes of gaming a night I think there would be serious outrage. I’m pretty sure I’ll be okay using vivid mode. There’s no denying it looks better regardless what some of you are saying. 

14 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

You’re 100% correct in that I really don’t understand what point you’re trying to make in not using game mode to mitigate long-term burn-in, and then posting an article/review that supports my statements regarding static images being displayed. Is your point that burn-in generally isn’t an issue? I never stated otherwise. However, people generally don’t do gaming sessions long enough to beat something like Death Stranding in about a week like Biggie (or many of us) did. For most people, burn-in is not a concern for OLEDs, I never once stated it was, I’d even say that it’s not an issue (at all) for gamers like us... unless you’re doing something ridiculous like playing a game with a HUD for multiple hours in friggen vivid mode... which is all I cautioned against. Game mode is there not only to give you the lowest input lag, but to help prevent any possible burn in from the static information displayed in games.

I'd really rather not continue trying to clear this up. But that's okay, it's a trivial matter and Biggie got what he needed, so success?

5 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Guys guys, it’s okay. I wished I hadn’t asked now. If these very expensive televisions were getting permanent burn in from 90 minutes of gaming a night I think there would be serious outrage. I’m pretty sure I’ll be okay using vivid mode. There’s no denying it looks better regardless what some of you are saying. 

TBF, that doesn’t happen because literally no one torches their TV when playing games by playing in vivid mode.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-oled-technology-flat-panels-general/2994352-lg-oled-questions-about-vivid-picture-settings.html#/topics/2994352

Vivid mode is one of the worst things you can do to your TV. Use it if you want, but PLEASE get an extended warranty, and I’m being serious.

On 9/10/2018 at 3:39 PM, AbsolutSurgen said:

We're in the process of renovating our family room.  We just moved our 11-year-old Pioneer Elite Kuro plasma from the back of the entertainment unit, and mounted it on the wall.

Plugged it in (I can hear the power supply get power).  Press the power switch.  And nada.  Looks like it is now DOA.

I'll try it again in a couple of hours.

However, is anyone aware of any deals on 65" LG OLEDs?  (My wife is trying to get me to hold off on buying one until Black Friday and use an old 720p projector we have, but if I can find a deal on an OLED, I may be able to convince her....)

My friend swears by his Kuro to this day.

My LG C7 was still a good price, in my opinion, at $2500 back when they were new.  I don't think th prices dropped below that, from a certified dealer, for awhile.

12 minutes ago, BuckFly said:

My friend swears by his Kuro to this day.

My LG C7 was still a good price, in my opinion, at $2500 back when they were new.  I don't think th prices dropped below that, from a certified dealer, for awhile.

The Kuro is still my main TV.  I'm hoping to replace it with something next year -- mostly for HDR.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

TBF, that doesn’t happen because literally no one torches their TV when playing games by playing in vivid mode.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-oled-technology-flat-panels-general/2994352-lg-oled-questions-about-vivid-picture-settings.html#/topics/2994352

Vivid mode is one of the worst things you can do to your TV. Use it if you want, but PLEASE get an extended warranty, and I’m being serious.

Such a drama techie queen. 

12 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Such a drama techie queen. 

I’m trying to give you advice on how not to ruin your TV. All evidence posted in this thread, even by the person arguing for the sake of arguing, states that static images displayed for long periods of time lead to burn in. Higher brightness and contrast levels, most notably from vivid mode, increase the risk of IR and BI. LG reps on AVSForums recommend game mode when viewing content with static images for long periods. If you think I’m being a “drama queen” because I am legitimately recommending getting an extended warranty because you’re using the riskiest mode on your TV, then I really don’t know what to say that will please you.

33 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I’m trying to give you advice on how not to ruin your TV. All evidence posted in this thread, even by the person arguing for the sake of arguing, states that static images displayed for long periods of time lead to burn in. Higher brightness and contrast levels, most notably from vivid mode, increase the risk of IR and BI. LG reps on AVSForums recommend game mode when viewing content with static images for long periods. If you think I’m being a “drama queen” because I am legitimately recommending getting an extended warranty because you’re using the riskiest mode on your TV, then I really don’t know what to say that will please you.

So game mode with brightness turned up is a no no too?

5 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

The Kuro is still my main TV.  I'm hoping to replace it with something next year -- mostly for HDR.

It is not comparable to your Kurosawa, Absolut, but looking up from my screen in my bedroom I realize I am watching a 10 year old Panny plasma and regardless of how good and how much newer the other TVs are around our house this one has aged so well and has been a great tv.

2 hours ago, Biggie said:

FYI : after watching a YouTube tips video I realized that the television also has a clear film on the back that needs to be removed just like the front of the screen. The guy said a lot of people aren't aware of this second film on the back.

@best3444

@SFLUFAN

@legend

@morph89

@Jose

And if everyone already knew this just ignore my dumbass :lol:

Yea, I knew about that. Thanks though.