Update: 65" LG C9 OLED is $2,096 at Amazon and $1,700 at Newegg

AbsolutSurgen

12 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Dude please I’m begging shut the fuck up. lol

I sit 3 feet away from my TV.  65” would have been to big. I sat in front of each set at Costco. 

I refuse to shut the fuck up. 55" is too small. I'm kidding. As long as you're happy that's all that matters. The tv is beautiful.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I've read that OLED'S are more prone to burn in. What has you guys' experience been with games and stuff?

I've been running OLEDs since 2016 and all three have zero burn in. I use mine as a PC monitor so its not uncommon to leave it at the desktop and I have no desktop burn in, so I'd say its possible, but the concern is probably greatly overstated. 

14 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I've read that OLED'S are more prone to burn in. What has you guys' experience been with games and stuff?

I’m a couple years in on mine and no burn-in issues.

24 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

When I look at a current TV next to a future TV?

There will always be a better TV coming along, but honestly the C( is a feature complete TV, with an incredible image quality, and all its ports are HDMI 2.1 ready so all next gen systems and GPU can take advantage of it. Bonus fact, it will support  up to120Hz refresh in 1440P now and as soon as we have HDMI 2.1 output devices it will support 4K/120hz.

17 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

It is technically possible, but unlikely unless you there is a static image in the screen for like at least 6 hours or something. 

not likely to happen unless you leave the tv on a single image and go to work/sleep. 

I’ve had my OLED nearly 18 months and no issue with burn in. 

I was thinking about upgrading after I upgraded my PC, but these prices are really good.

Question for any here who have one and might know: if I render at 1080, how good is the TV upscaler, and does it induce a lot of latency?

EDIT

I guess going by this, the 1080P upscale latency in game mode aint bad. :thinking:

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.php?subaction=showfull&id=1559035462

1 hour ago, legend said:

I was thinking about upgrading after I upgraded my PC, but these prices are really good.

Question for any here who have one and might know: if I render at 1080, how good is the TV upscaler, and does it induce a lot of latency?

EDIT

I guess going by this, the 1080P upscale latency in game mode aint bad. :thinking:

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.php?subaction=showfull&id=1559035462

the C9 is, not surprisingly, better than most previous year units at upscaling 1080P. It also supports 1440P for that sweet spot of high frames and good IQ. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, SFLUFAN said:

The 65" C9 is currently $2,096 at @Amazon

I just used my accumulated points to order one! :twothumbsup:

If you can still cancel the order and then resubmit it, it's better to order it cash and then use the points to get a statement credit through the Chase portal. You'll earn another $104.80 in points off the purchase. Plus I'm not sure if paying with points has any implications for the extended warranty you get from the credit card.

On 11/23/2019 at 1:59 PM, Keyser_Soze said:

Dumb question but is there something super awesome coming out next year or is this a good TV to jump on now?

It's hard to say, but LG has been using the same panel for two model years now so there may be something new for 2020.

Got the 55" C9 a few weeks ago for $1500 at the local Microcenter. Completely thrilled with the display, but it is a tad too big to use comfortably at my desk. Controller games are fine cuz I can back up as much as I need to, but for kb/m games and general purpose computing it is just barely too big for comfort. The image quality is worth it though and is a massive upgrade over my 40" 4K non-hdr VA-panel korean monitor it's replacing.

Rumor has it LG is releasing a 48" variant next year (all but confirmed for Euro and Asian markets; US somewhat unclear). I think I may swap to that for the desk and put this fellow in the living room if the price is right.

3 minutes ago, morph89 said:

Got the 55" C9 a few weeks ago for $1500 at the local Microcenter. Completely thrilled with the display, but it is a tad too big to use comfortably at my desk. Controller games are fine cuz I can back up as much as I need to, but for kb/m games and general purpose computing it is just barely too big for comfort. The image quality is worth it though and is a massive upgrade over my 40" 4K non-hdr VA-panel korean monitor it's replacing.

Rumor has it LG is releasing a 48" variant next year (all but confirmed for Euro and Asian markets; US somewhat unclear). I think I may swap to that for the desk and put this fellow in the living room if the price is right.

I would highly suggest not using an OLED for a monitor, unless you just switch to it for gaming.

2 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I would highly suggest not using an OLED for a monitor, unless you just switch to it for gaming.

Eh, I've done the research and honestly I'm not that concerned for my use case scenario. For one thing I like to keep my room somewhat dimly lit, so I'm really not pushing peak brightness or anything. Also the C9 has some great features for preventing burn in, such as a 'pixel shift' mode that subtly shifts the pixels over in a different direction so they're not constantly displaying the same color. That combined with some great power saving and brightness adjusting features have quelled my fears.

7 minutes ago, morph89 said:

Eh, I've done the research and honestly I'm not that concerned for my use case scenario. For one thing I like to keep my room somewhat dimly lit, so I'm really not pushing peak brightness or anything. Also the C9 has some great features for preventing burn in, such as a 'pixel shift' mode that subtly shifts the pixels over in a different direction so they're not constantly displaying the same color. That combined with some great power saving and brightness adjusting features have quelled my fears.

Pixel shift has been around since Plasmas and  isn't anything special. Even without peak brightness, you're going to get burn-in over time as, unlike CRTs and Plasmas, it's not about the image being on screen unchanged for x-amount of hours, it has to do with how often the image is displayed in the same spot in addition to the length of time being shown. If you're not on it much for desktop use, you'll probably be fine, though.

15 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Pixel shift has been around since Plasmas and  isn't anything special. Even without peak brightness, you're going to get burn-in over time as, unlike CRTs and Plasmas, it's not about the image being on screen unchanged for x-amount of hours, it has to do with how often the image is displayed in the same spot in addition to the length of time being shown. If you're not on it much for desktop use, you'll probably be fine, though.

That's fair, though from my research, brightness and contrast (particularly red on white) are really big factors. I hide my desktop icons, auto-hide my taskbar, and have a ~700 image library cycle through my desktop for my wallpaper background. If I'm leaving my room for more than five min, I also shut the display off.

40 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

If you turn on the option to hide the Windows taskbar you can prevent a good chunk of the potential burn-in issues.

7 hours ago, morph89 said:

It'll never come to the US unless LG is trying to place an OLED in the budget category. 65 inch is the most popular size for those purchasing mid-range and flagship televisions here.  55 inch is as small as they'll go on such TV's.  Samsung doesn't even make a 55 inch model for its flagship display.  

17 hours ago, morph89 said:

That's fair, though from my research, brightness and contrast (particularly red on white) are really big factors. I hide my desktop icons, auto-hide my taskbar, and have a ~700 image library cycle through my desktop for my wallpaper background. If I'm leaving my room for more than five min, I also shut the display off.

17 hours ago, Jason said:

If you turn on the option to hide the Windows taskbar you can prevent a good chunk of the potential burn-in issues.

Having your desktop BG cycle images every 60-90 seconds is definitely a good strategy. BUT, it may not be a bad idea to just get a cheap 1080p display for internet browsing or if you need to do doc work or something. A bunch of decent ones with GSync/Freesync pop up on r/buildapcsales in the $70-100 range constantly :santasun:

Just now, Keyser_Soze said:

This would be a good idea if the computer didn't lag every time the background changed. I feel like this has become a problem in recent months. :/

Are you running the pics off of an ssd? I don’t have images cycle so I have no idea if that alleviates any hitching