China’s population projections don’t look good for them! At all! Projected down by about 50% by 2100

Some of those Eastern European countries with significant population declines are simply going to become "nonviable" states on their own.

Like it or not, they will have to consider some from of political consolidation beyond simply the EU in order to have a population base in order to function.

Hell, Western European states will have to consider the same thing.

2 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:
social
WWW.WSJ.COM

Some demographers expect China’s population to decline as soon as this year as young people delay starting families

But it’s not just China so not a lingering effect of one child!

The U.S. is set to stabilize around 400million by 2100 for context

America knows how to fuck.

2 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

The solution to so much of the handwriting from allegedly concerned chucklekfucks is to make having children economically viable. But you know... lol.

My man, childbirth rates drop as income rises. NOT having children is a luxury of wealth.

10 hours ago, sblfilms said:

My man, childbirth rates drop as income rises. NOT having children is a luxury of wealth.

I’ll be honest, this is one topic where I’m more skeptical of data than usual, since I’m generally a total simp for it. I hear, often, and the OP article has more anecdotes (I know…) where people say they’d have kids if they could afford them, or if someone could be a stay at home parent. 

I appreciate the data shows what you’re saying but in my head wealth consolidation at the top and the erosion of the middle class muddy the waters. 

Again I appreciate this is largely feels. 

• Halal 2

17 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I’ll be honest, this is one topic where I’m more skeptical of data than usual, since I’m generally a total simp for it. I hear, often, and the OP article has more anecdotes (I know…) where people say they’d have kids if they could afford them, or if someone could be a stay at home parent. 

I appreciate the data shows what you’re saying but in my head wealth consolidation at the top and the erosion of the middle class muddy the waters. 

Again I appreciate this is largely feels. 

There's probably a case to be made that the effect of rising income on childbirth rates depends on the relative economic development of the overall society.

For example, it's pretty well-known that as income levels rise in "developing world" societies that the number of children each family unit produces tends to decline.  At the same time, I don't think that it's entirely out of the realm of possibility that there is a inflection point where the the marginal cost of having children in a society that has achieved a more "advanced" level of economic development outstrips the ability of a family unit to support that child even if they are relatively well-off comparatively speaking and therefore acts as a suppressant on childbirth. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, it makes sense that as a population is educated, provided access to birth control, has more opportunities outside of the household, that birthrate would decrease. And it it also makes sense that population would further decrease once the education, birth control, etc are still there but economic realities make it unviable to raise children. 

1 minute ago, stepee said:

Yeah, it makes sense that as a population is educated, provided access to birth control, has more opportunities outside of the household, that birthrate would decrease. And it it also makes sense that population would further decrease once the education, birth control, etc are still there but economic realities make it unviable to raise children. 

this here.

add in that we're talking about a birth _rate_ women making the choice to merely delay having children alone can manifest itself into lower population for a country over a long enough period even if every woman is having the same number of children as a previous generation

A lot of pulling things out of thin air happening ITT :p The number one reason, and it has been for some time now, that people are choosing not to have children is because they just don't want to. They don't need them, they don't want them. We see the same thing with declining rates of marriage as the wealth of nations increases. The number of people who would have children/have more children if the economics became more favorable is a very small percentage, and simply would not ease the population decline strain to any meaningful degree.

35 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

A lot of pulling things out of thin air happening ITT :p The number one reason, and it has been for some time now, that people are choosing not to have children is because they just don't want to. They don't need them, they don't want them. We see the same thing with declining rates of marriage as the wealth of nations increases. The number of people who would have children/have more children if the economics became more favorable is a very small percentage, and simply would not ease the population decline strain to any meaningful degree.

to wit:

ft_2021.11.19_havingchildren_01.png

ft_2021.11.19_havingchildren_02.png

ft_2021.11.19_havingchildren_03.png

I'm going to sound like a boomer here but oh well. I used to be in the "kids? Lol gtfo" camp but at some point we decided to have a kid. We now have three (and won't be having more). Any reason not to have kids is a valid reason, and I certainly wouldn't spend any effort trying to convince them otherwise, but I do mourn a little internally for the "I just don't want to" cohort. Being a dad is just the best feeling in the world sometimes.

• Hugs 2

8 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

I'm going to sound like a boomer here but oh well. I used to be in the "kids? Lol gtfo" camp but at some point we decided to have a kid. We now have three (and won't be having more). Any reason not to have kids is a valid reason, and I certainly wouldn't spend any effort trying to convince them otherwise, but I do mourn a little internally for the "I just don't want to" cohort. Being a dad is just the best feeling in the world sometimes.

I know what you mean. I always think it’s crappy when people try and guilt those without kids as being selfish, or like they have a hole in their lives, but I also get such immense joy out of being a father and I think many who don’t want children would actually be excellent parents themselves.

11 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Speaking as a card-carrying member of that cohort, you really don't have to as the vast majority of us long ago made our peace with that decision and have no regrets!

Well, I don't do it by choice. It just happens. Empathy and whatnot.

7 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I know what you mean. I always think it’s crappy when people try and guilt those without kids as being selfish, or like they have a hole in their lives, but I also get such immense joy out of being a father and I think many who don’t want children would actually be excellent parents themselves.

And not just that. As I've watched other people in my life become parents, I've seen it turn mediocre people into good people, and good people into great people. While there are plenty of exceptions to that happening in this world, I think in general that becoming a parent naturally ups your game no matter where you are at.

8 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I decided that I'd rather not take the risk that I wouldn't be one.

Plenty of bad parents with good kids and good parents with bad kids. What they really need is help with is boundaries and parents who never forget children are adults except in terms of overall life experience. They have their own motivations and desires, finding out how to balance respect with boundaries is the whole job.

If there are bad parents out there it's when they abuse boundary setting for personal reasons. They lose basic human respect for their children.  Even as young as three or four months my daughter was expressing some desires against things (food or kisses) and I made sure she knew she was allowed to say no and I'd respect that.

I don't know a lot about you but I know enough to feel strongly you'd act the same way. It's far more common to forget the humanity in a child than the opposite.

Not that I expect to change your conclusions but I don't like to hear you think of yourself that way. You truly care about whether you'd be a good parent. No bullshit that already puts you in the top 5%. 

• 4 months later...
ad03a21f98b9c0989ed8cee0c25e9aba
NEWS.YAHOO.COM

Health authorities in China's southwestern province of Sichuan will allow unmarried individuals to raise a family and enjoy benefits reserved for married couples, in the latest effort to bolster a falling birth rate. The government dictates that only married women are legally allowed to give birth, but with marriage and birth rates having fallen to record lows in recent years, provincial authorities revamped a 2019 rule to cover...

On 9/6/2022 at 10:45 AM, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

There's probably a case to be made that the effect of rising income on childbirth rates depends on the relative economic development of the overall society.

For example, it's pretty well-known that as income levels rise in "developing world" societies that the number of children each family unit produces tends to decline.  At the same time, I don't think that it's entirely out of the realm of possibility that there is a inflection point where the the marginal cost of having children in a society that has achieved a more "advanced" level of economic development outstrips the ability of a family unit to support that child even if they are relatively well-off comparatively speaking and therefore acts as a suppressant on childbirth. 

Since everything is such a commodity to be bought and sold that I agree with this. Before you needed alot of kids because only so many would survive but now you can effectively control when you want to have kids. Since everythjng is so expensive in our ever worsing neoliberal hellscape eventually having a child becomes a luxury of wealth. Also I imagine most people have some sort of traumatic childhood so like after 5 years of therapy about to turn 37 in March I feel as "ready" as a person can be to have a child.

Also I'd eat my hate if this is another American century. Our country has too many contradictions in the system that nobody really cares enough to solve or you can't solve it fast enough for things to not fall apart. The solution was to never let things get this bad in the first place. I have 17ish years to retire at Vz with a full pension and I don't think this country has 17 years in it. Hopefully I'm wrong and it's got 20 so I can just move in with @CitizenVectron after I earned a pension. 

If we are around as a country in 20 years time and not a fascist dictatorship then we are the luckiest civ to ever exist but everyone's luck runs out eventually.