Breaking: 10 killed, 15 injured in multiple stabbing attacks in Saskatchewan, two suspects still at large

18 hours ago, CayceG said:

This is awful. Judging by the location, it could have been ethnically motivated. 

One of the local Chiefs has suggested it is Drug related.

7 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Is there a new phenomenon going on? My neighbors are doing it. Instead of carrying a key they keep the key in a lockbox on the door so when they want to get in they use the lockbox every time to unlock the door.

We use a Smart Lock, which is way more convenient.

I have friends that have locks with keypads. 

The only time I have seen the lockboxes is for AirBnBs and for real estate agents showing houses.

18 minutes ago, silentbob said:

We too keep the front door unlocked, screen down for airflow all day until we go to bed. We have maybe 1-2 murders in my town a year (if that) The only murder last year was a hit job on the boarder with Hamilton. Besides that, I feel comfortable with the door left unlocked for the day. Growing up though (30-35 years back) we had briefly a Pakistani family living a few doors down. Their young son would constantly go into our backyard and take our Sesame Street paddle car once everything went dark. Only stayed in the neighbourhood a few months but it pissed off my dad. 

21 minutes ago, Joe said:

I don’t think many American realize how much lower the crime rates are in basically every other first world country.

Yeah in my city of 250,000 we have a handful of murders per year, and it's almost entirely gang-related. Random violence is basically unheard of. Smaller stuff like vehicle break-ins (or back alley garage break-ins) happen, but almost never violence.

Just now, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

They're still at large which shouldn't be surprising considering the size of the area involved.

Yeah it's Texas with the pop of the Dakotas. Decent density in the two main cities (250k and 300k), but outside of those the largest pop centre is 35k I think. And Saskatchewan has more grid roads than any other jurisdiction in North America due to the huge amount of farmland. Easy to remain hidden, rurally. 

16 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

They're still at large which shouldn't be surprising considering the size of the area involved.

One of them has been "at large" since May.  It could take months to find them -- the two teens who shot people in '19 were eventually found dead 2000 km away from the crime, almost a month later.

These guys, who have already been on the run for months...

47 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Yeah in my city of 250,000 we have a handful of murders per year, and it's almost entirely gang-related. Random violence is basically unheard of. Smaller stuff like vehicle break-ins (or back alley garage break-ins) happen, but almost never violence.

There was a string of break in here last year or so where the city had a series of psas reminding people to not leave their firearms in their unlocked cars. 

20 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

True fact:  Saskatchewan has the highest murder rate in Canada (in 2020) -- almost triple that of Ontario, and five times higher than Quebec.

Regina had the highest murder rate of any metropolitan area in Canada in 2021.

For sure. For comparison (per 100,000):

St. Louis - 69.4 (Highest city in US)

Washington DC - 17.0

Louisiana - 15.8 (Highest state in US)

Dallas - 14.9

USA - 6.9

Saskatchewan - 5.9 (Highest province in Canada)

Regina - 5.7 (Highest city in Canada)

Vancouver - 2.2

Canada - 2.1

Toronto - 1.8

Regina achieved that 5.7/100k homicide rate in 2021 with 15 murders, most gang-related. If you reduced that to 14 you get 5.3/100k, and if you increase to 16 murders you get 6.1/100k. We have a small population, so one shootout between gangs can increase our homicide rate by 20-50%. It's definitely a case where the small population causes the number to swing wildly year to year. I'm not downplaying that Regina has a high homicide rate for Canada...but it's not a dangerous place to live, especially since something like 80-90% of the homicides take place in a concentrated 10x10 block area.

It is the shithole of Canada, though (the province).

7 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Hopefully this doesn't create a bunch of copycat killers.  

From the limited info the RCMP have released, the killings started as targeted, so possibly gang activity or some dispute, and then spread to the surrounding community.

One brother is dead, and I just got an emergency alert from the government on my phone that the other may be injured and seeking medical attention.

1242990646.jpg
WWW.CBC.CA

Saskatchewan RCMP have issued an emergency alert about a person with a knife travelling in a vehicle, last seen in Wakaw. They say this may be related to the stabbing rampage that happened in the province on Sunday.

2 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

So...is he dead or alive? Police said he was taken into custody. Did police kill him? Or did he kill himself? Before or after being taken in? Not that I am sorry if he's dead, but police can't be allowed to kill people without question, especially if they've already said he's been taken in.

37 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Ah, the RCMP, notorious for their killing people in custody, especially Indigenous men (and also for being the least-transparent police force in the western world) have this to say on the suspect's death:

Unacceptable.

Alright, time to roll this thread into the cop bravery thread now. :p

• True 2

They're saying he went into 'medical distress' and died after being arrested.

Myles Sanderson, the subject of a four-day manhunt that left an entire region northeast of Saskatoon on edge, was spotted near the town of Rosthern and ended up driving into a ditch while being pursued by police cruisers.

"Shortly after being arrested, he went into medical distress," said RCMP Assistant Commissioner Rhonda Blackmore.

She said officers performed life-saving measures and he was transported by ambulance to a Saskatoon hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

It's entirely possible that he died of injuries sustained before, or tried to overdose as he was being arrested. It's also possible that the RCMP killed him, knowing police history here (in Saskatchewan as recently as the 1990s, police would give "Starlight Tours" to arrested Indigenous men in winter, dropping them off at night into fields outside the city of Saskatoon without proper winter clothing).

Again...he deserved to no longer be alive. But the families also deserved to see him tried and sentenced, and to hopefully find out more about why this entire thing happened.