Are you guys doing secondary jobs?  I have Cyrus with Ophelia's job as his second job.  Tressa with the hunter job as her second, Olberic with the Thief job as his second, and then I switch the first person out as needed.  I like Therion, but right now he is around L.25 and he doesn't really hit that hard. i use him mostly because he can unlock chests and has a dagger.   I really wish that characters could use their second job Y commands too.

Anyone know if there is a way to raise the percentage of Scrutinize (or whatever it's called) or Stealing?  Does the percentage get higher than more you level?  I just don't like having to pay 10,000 leaves once I fail at something and my town rep goes down...   I do apologize for not remembering character names, skill names, etc...

On 7/26/2018 at 8:09 PM, Pent said:

Are you guys doing secondary jobs?  I have Cyrus with Ophelia's job as his second job.  Tressa with the hunter job as her second, Olberic with the Thief job as his second, and then I switch the first person out as needed.  I like Therion, but right now he is around L.25 and he doesn't really hit that hard. i use him mostly because he can unlock chests and has a dagger.   I really wish that characters could use their second job Y commands too.

Anyone know if there is a way to raise the percentage of Scrutinize (or whatever it's called) or Stealing?  Does the percentage get higher than more you level?  I just don't like having to pay 10,000 leaves once I fail at something and my town rep goes down...   I do apologize for not remembering character names, skill names, etc...

Yes secondary jobs are great to have a lot of weapons/attacks options. Finally defeated Tressa’s chapter 2 boss. 

On 7/26/2018 at 8:09 PM, Pent said:

Secondary jobs are a must. You're just giving up free stat boosts without them. Also, the passive skills you learn remain even without the second job being active. Everyone on my squad is part merchant just for the half SP perk.

As for those skills, they level up with your character, but there are also random NPCs you can scrutinize that will give these skills a boost.

I picked this up to play while traveling recently. I'm about 15 hours or so in. I just figured out secondary jobs after stumbling across a shrine. Man has that made a world of difference. I'm now rarely, if ever, stuck in a situation where a baddie is vulnerable to only one character.

I picked up every character and then did some grinding to get my core party up to the point I could think about starting Chapter 2. I think I underestimated how much stats are tied to gear vs levels. I've leveled up quite a bit, but I don't have much more HP and I'm not doing much more damage. I need to go out and really gear up. I got to the boss of Tressa's chapter 2 and it was taking forever. I was scraping by, but it wasn't worth the time.

Anyone have any good tips for the best way to go about gearing up?

4 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I picked this up to play while traveling recently. I'm about 15 hours or so in. I just figured out secondary jobs after stumbling across a shrine. Man has that made a world of difference. I'm now rarely, if ever, stuck in a situation where a baddie is vulnerable to only one character.

I picked up every character and then did some grinding to get my core party up to the point I could think about starting Chapter 2. I think I underestimated how much stats are tied to gear vs levels. I've leveled up quite a bit, but I don't have much more HP and I'm not doing much more damage. I need to go out and really gear up. I got to the boss of Tressa's chapter 2 and it was taking forever. I was scraping by, but it wasn't worth the time.

Anyone have any good tips for the best way to go about gearing up?

Learn Evil Ward, the third passive skill for clerics, and Evasive Maneuvers, the first passive skill for scholars. From there, run through the scary areas that are a good deal higher level than your own. Fight using every magic item you have or just straight up run away as often as you can. Look at the world map for towns you've never been to. It doesn't have to look pretty. Just make your way to those towns. Once there, steal everything. What you're really trying to steal are weapons and armor and accessories of a higher level than anything you can buy if you follow the storyline. All the best weapons and armor are going to be items you either steal, buy off a random NPC, or find in an optional dungeon.

6 hours ago, Biggie said:

That’s who,I started with. And I gave him the sub-class Hunter. He wrecks shit. Lol. 

I started with Olberic who is an absolute beatstick at this point.  I'd been running him, the merchant, the mage, and Ophelia.  Ophelia just got kicked to the backup roster for Alfyn.  He's too good.

Played the 3 hour demo and really enjoyed it. I'm on the fence if I should pay $60 for this game, though. I'm also a complete noob in jrpgs and I'm worried I will get too confused later on. Like sub jobs and figuring out who to use in my lineups etc. 

I'm confused in how this game is setup in general with all the characters. 

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

Played the 3 hour demo and really enjoyed it. I'm on the fence if I should pay $60 for this game, though. I'm also a complete noob in jrpgs and I'm worried I will get too confused later on. Like sub jobs and figuring out who to use in my lineups etc. 

Buy it. It won’t be confusing and if you are you can always ask us ?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, best3444 said:

This game also isn't that confusing. Every time you start a new chapter with any of the characters, there's a brief recap of the previous chapters. Gameplay is also pretty straight forward and easy to keep a hold of. Octopath Traveler has a great battle system with a good amount of depth, but it's also pretty straight forward. This isn't Mother 3 having you attack enemies to the beat of the music or Chrono Cross that has you keeping track field colors and matching those up with musical notes.

Jobs are pretty easy to keep straight and you aren't committing yourself to any roles you put on characters. You can change them at any point you want. Everyone is also going to have a completely different set of characters they like traveling with. You'll see people talking about ideal lineups based on stats and whatnot, but that's completely unnecessary. Just grab the characters you like best.

I like traveling with Therion, Tressa, Ophelia, and Cyrus. There are eight characters to choose from. Everyone has their own personal preference. Hell, my party came about because I recruited the characters in one order and then decided I didn't really care for the Pokemon-like beast capturing aspect of H'aanit. Some people love it. Just not for me. Some people are spending quite a bit of time with Alfyn's ability to concoct elixirs and attacks, but I'm already up to level 55 and never found a need for any of it.

This game is only as complicated as you really want to make it out to be.

• Thanks 1

I finished collecting all 8 characters. I am surprised how low level I am for the second chapters. My main is only 17 and everyone else is 13 or lower. I really don’t want to grind levels so do I need to be at the target level to beat the second chapters?

So...I started the game with Cyrus. "Technically" after I beat his story I have completed the game in a sense, correct? 

How long does it take to beat the story for one character? I'm just confused how the eight characters are being utilized. It seems there are 8 games in 1 here. 

25 minutes ago, best3444 said:

So...I started the game with Cyrus. "Technically" after I beat his story I have completed the game in a sense, correct? 

How long does it take to beat the story for one character? I'm just confused how the eight characters are being utilized. It seems there are 8 games in 1 here. 

You're going to meet the rest of the characters, it should make some more sense in a couple of more hours. :p

2 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

I finished collecting all 8 characters. I am surprised how low level I am for the second chapters. My main is only 17 and everyone else is 13 or lower. I really don’t want to grind levels so do I need to be at the target level to beat the second chapters?

You don't need to be, it's just a lot harder if you aren't. Enemies and bosses do not scale with you, so if a chapter recommends you be at level 20, the boss isn't going to go easy on you because you aren't there yet.

That said, you don't have to keep everyone leveled up. I just dragged level 30 Primrose through her level 40 chapter without any issue because the rest of the party was at level 55. That was a bit exaggerated, but the same applies for everyone else MINUS H'aanit and Olberic. Since those two can challenge people to fights, you'll likely find yourself challenging people in their respective stories. As a result, those two really should be at the recommended level for their story. You could probably skate by with H'aanit if you managed to nab a beast a lot stronger than her. Olberic, though, will have a really hard time on some of his 1 on 1 fights.

16 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Nobody here is really saving the world. For the most part, these are all pretty personal stories. Yeah, it's sort of an 8 in 1 kind of game, by JRPG standards. The only difficult part about trying to beeline through a single character's story is making sure everyone is strong enough. If you can manage that, then there's really no issue there. The game is sort of designed in such a way that if you do all of chapter one and then all of chapter two and so on, you won't really find yourself having to grind for a few levels. That's especially true if you give every character a chance and swap party members out pretty regularly.

I don't really care about doing any of that, so I have three juggernauts that drag the rest of the team around when they need it. When someone is pretty low level, I just run into one of those option level 50 dungeons and quickly grind up. When the rest of the team is around level 50 and Primrose is level 15, it's quick and easy to level her up when I'm fighting level 50 enemies.

So I looked up some tricks online and after more than a few save reloads I geared out my characters a good bit. I didn't go the full lengths recommended here, but I've been using dancing a lot and it's helped me speed leveling a bit. I got one lucky Exp X 100 roll and it leveled me up something like 10 levels in one battle. One recommendation if you want to do it as well is to not bother on bosses. Bosses don't really give much more Exp than regular enemies and if you're like me and end up rolling the outcome where it completely heals the boss after you've done 30k damage, it unnecessarily prolongs fights with no guaranteed outcome for more xp.

I also followed this advice and stole a bunch of stuff from Grandport. After getting the boost I cleaned the town up with a bunch of 100% and 80% steals. There's a ton more I could go after if I wanted to reload saves a bunch of times, but I think I'm geared well enough for now. The gear I got from doing that was so much more valuable than jumping up 10 levels. This game is kinda odd in how heavily it weights stats from gear vs levels without having any requirements for the gear.

Speaking to the visuals of the game, i've gotten used to the very shallow depth of field, but I feel like they don't make very good use of it. It's a shame that (so far at least), it's pretty much a static effect. They set one tilt-shift style focus and never change it. They're using UE4 to do all this lighting, effect, and focus stuff, but they don't do much with it. I feel like they could play with it more, pull focus to characters in cut scenes, move the camera, anything. I don't know if they were just too constrained by trying to emulate the past, or if they just didn't bother. Either way it feels like a missed opportunity.

@best3444  there are 8 characters. Each character has four chapters of story. So 32 chapters to complete everything. What I did was go and see and complete all 8 characters first chapter stories. Now I’m going around the map and completing all second chapters for all eight characters. And so on and so on and so on. Each characters chapter tells you what level they recommend you be at before trying to complete it. I just start with the easiest of the 8 and work my way up. 

• Thanks 1

Finally got my first advanced class when I took down the archmage. I probably could have done that a lot earlier, but I think I prefer being a bit stronger than the bosses rather than killing myself with them. I thought I could make then go on to take down the warbringer, but that wasn't happening. Toward the end of the fight, she'll have five attacks per turn and it just wrecks me. I could probably survive long enough to break her if I equipped everyone with Saving Grace, so I'll try that later. First, I'll tackle the other bosses first; after which I'll move on to everyone's chapter fours.

I was thinking about it a bit more, and I think part of my frustration with the game is how little it communicates what is important to character power levels and how much out of your way you need to go to raise it. It's very old school, and probably not in a good way. I think the expectation that most have is that if you follow the story that you'll naturally progress at a certain rate and you'll naturally find or be able to afford suitable gear. I have not found either to be the case at all. You have to do a lot of grinding and you really have to search for better gear. Just grabbing every chest and looking through every store is not going to be enough.  I think it's fine for a game to let you discover things, but I think some of that could have been more obvious. I certainly went in with some preconceived notions that didn't bear out, but this is a game that I think is catering to those like me that have played a decent amount of these games, if not for a while.

@TwinIon most turn based jrpg’s require some grinding. Octopath is no different. Especially if you want to have all 8 characters leveled up properly. So far I have found the weapons available in each town to be sufficient to defeat bosses. Make sure you talk to every npc as some will make new weapons available in each town. Also Therion has stolen me a few good weapons too. 

On 8/1/2018 at 11:08 AM, TwinIon said:

I also followed this advice and stole a bunch of stuff from Grandport. After getting the boost I cleaned the town up with a bunch of 100% and 80% steals. There's a ton more I could go after if I wanted to reload saves a bunch of times, but I think I'm geared well enough for now. The gear I got from doing that was so much more valuable than jumping up 10 levels. This game is kinda odd in how heavily it weights stats from gear vs levels without having any requirements for the gear.

I read the GameFAQ thread that you linked to, but I might be confused a little...  I get how you can boost the Steal %, and I think I know what save scumming or whatever is...  so is that what you mean when you said "if I wanted to reload saves a bunch of times" meaning there were townspeople that you could steal from and if you failed you would just reload a save and try to steal from them again?  Can the items that you can steal from people change if you reload a save, or does the actual item stay the same no matter what?

22 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Started the Thief’s second chapter with a 19, 17, 14, and 13. So far so good. Only trouble has been the boss fight. I have died a couple of times already. Party attacks are just brutal.

i beat him by bringing about 25 full healing grapes and concentrated all my attacks on the boss. Once he’s defeated you an take out his two buddies pretty easy. 

On 8/4/2018 at 11:39 AM, Pent said:

I read the GameFAQ thread that you linked to, but I might be confused a little...  I get how you can boost the Steal %, and I think I know what save scumming or whatever is...  so is that what you mean when you said "if I wanted to reload saves a bunch of times" meaning there were townspeople that you could steal from and if you failed you would just reload a save and try to steal from them again?  Can the items that you can steal from people change if you reload a save, or does the actual item stay the same no matter what?

The stuff that you can steal doesn't change, but if something has a low % chance to steal you can be better of save scumming rather than paying the money to restore your reputation (it's $100k in Grandport). Also, the guy you have to scrutinize in order to boost your chance to steal is a pretty low chance (I think it was ~15% for me).

• 9 months later...