OK so I don't know what happened but I randomly got like 3 levels for each of my dudes in one fight. o_0  I was wandering through the Sunshade area, just killing stuff and working my way up to Sunshade to start Primrose's story.  I had a random encounter with a bunch of lizardfolk.  No big deal.  I've mulched dozens of these guys.  They were not particularly special in any way that I could see.  When the fight ended I found they gave me over 1,000 EXP for the battle!  I have no idea why or what was special about that fight, but 1k+ exp for an easy regular lizard dude fight.  I roamed the area looking for more to fight, and I found them, but never again did any of them give me that crazy EXP bonus.   So weird and random.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Comet said:

So I'm only 3 characters in, but I'm loving the hell out of this game. Feels more comprehensive and deep than I imagined it would be. 

Just added Primrose which is my 6th character. I adore this game. It’s almost a perfect blend of everything. 

50 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Received my copy yesterday. I wish I could remove some of the filters.  It seems really blurry on the Switch. 

Looks great on my TV. It’s 50inch and I play sitting pretty close to it. Are you playing docked or handheld?

52 minutes ago, Slug said:

OK so I don't know what happened but I randomly got like 3 levels for each of my dudes in one fight. o_0  I was wandering through the Sunshade area, just killing stuff and working my way up to Sunshade to start Primrose's story.  I had a random encounter with a bunch of lizardfolk.  No big deal.  I've mulched dozens of these guys.  They were not particularly special in any way that I could see.  When the fight ended I found they gave me over 1,000 EXP for the battle!  I have no idea why or what was special about that fight, but 1k+ exp for an easy regular lizard dude fight.  I roamed the area looking for more to fight, and I found them, but never again did any of them give me that crazy EXP bonus.   So weird and random.

Yeah those battles are random and far & few between. I’ve only encountered 1 and I’m about 16 hours in. They are sort of like metal slime battles in Dragon Quest games only difference is you don’t know it until it happens and the monsters don’t run away or escape. I’m digging the shit out of this game!

@Biggie handheld only Switch Guy here. I am used to blurry since most games aren’t native 720p in handheld but I was just surprised to see it with this game. I assume it must be a filter that makes it look blurry and washed out.  The sprite work looks good so I really want a crisp picture to appreciate it. 

8 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

@Biggie handheld only Switch Guy here. I am used to blurry since most games aren’t native 720p in handheld but I was just surprised to see it with this game. I assume it must be a filter that makes it look blurry and washed out.  The sprite work looks good so I really want a crisp picture to appreciate it. 

Yeah that was my complaint too. I guess it's blurry I dunno, I just said I wish the screen was bigger because you can't see any detail. I think some of the "blur" is because it has depth of field.

42 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Yeah that was my complaint too. I guess it's blurry I dunno, I just said I wish the screen was bigger because you can't see any detail. I think some of the "blur" is because it has depth of field.

41 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

At times, it feels like I’m playing the game through a dirty periscope. 

Try playing on a TV. The sprites give pretty good detail and it looks great IMO. 

18 minutes ago, HardAct said:

think it can be fixed in an update if enough complain? 

I don't think it's something to be fixed.  I'm pretty sure it was an aesthetic/artistic choice, not a result of some problem or limitation.

• Like 1

Pretty sure Square Enix pulled their typical bullshit and had their games at $40 or higher, but most DS games were around $30-35. Also, Mario Kart DS was fun and all but I wouldn't say anybody "missed out," it was just another Mario Kart.

Anyway, this game looks like ass on my screen. I guess, like with most Switch games, if you sit far enough away you can't notice how blurry (as in low resolution and ugly, not as in "there's a blur effect") everything is -- including text. Sitting far enough away does indeed hide flaws, but also details.

It's not unbearable or anything, but it's also at 30 FPS for whatever reason, which makes for a bad combination. Why would a turn-based RPG need to run at higher frame rates? It wouldn't, but it sure would look nice if it did! Almost all SNES JRPGs ran at 60, so if they were trying to recapture that, this also should've been 60. It's clearly not taxing the hardware. I speculated in the Discord that it might be because they want to save battery power, but it also might be because no one gives a shit because we're still in the "Oooh, shiny!" phase of the Switch.

I do wonder if it'd look way better if we had a Switch micro or something. When I see the game in tiny Youtube thumbnails, the art style looks SO much better.

fjdULxU.png

It's the same issue where you lose detail, but the entire game looks different when the image is that small. I think the art style looks really fucking cool like that. At full size it's just kind of weird and awkward.

Now I want a Switch micro.

1 hour ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Yeah, $40 was the max for a DS game and that was pretty much just Square. I recall The World Ends With You being $40, which was a shocker for me at that time. 

But it was really only Square and a few games at that and $40 was the max.

Oh man TWEWY was my favorite DS game.  Such good memories.

1 hour ago, Xbob42 said:

Pretty sure Square Enix pulled their typical bullshit and had their games at $40 or higher, but most DS games were around $30-35. Also, Mario Kart DS was fun and all but I wouldn't say anybody "missed out," it was just another Mario Kart.

Anyway, this game looks like ass on my screen. I guess, like with most Switch games, if you sit far enough away you can't notice how blurry (as in low resolution and ugly, not as in "there's a blur effect") everything is -- including text. Sitting far enough away does indeed hide flaws, but also details.

It's not unbearable or anything, but it's also at 30 FPS for whatever reason, which makes for a bad combination. Why would a turn-based RPG need to run at higher frame rates? It wouldn't, but it sure would look nice if it did! Almost all SNES JRPGs ran at 60, so if they were trying to recapture that, this also should've been 60. It's clearly not taxing the hardware. I speculated in the Discord that it might be because they want to save battery power, but it also might be because no one gives a shit because we're still in the "Oooh, shiny!" phase of the Switch.

I do wonder if it'd look way better if we had a Switch micro or something. When I see the game in tiny Youtube thumbnails, the art style looks SO much better.

fjdULxU.png

It's the same issue where you lose detail, but the entire game looks different when the image is that small. I think the art style looks really fucking cool like that. At full size it's just kind of weird and awkward.

Now I want a Switch micro.

It’s your TV. Git gud scrub. 

13 minutes ago, Biggie said:

It’s your TV. Git gud scrub. 

I play on a very nice monitor, so, no, it's not that. It's very much the Switch. But please, tell me how the image quality of this under-powered tablet is secretly really good if you have the right TV.

1 minute ago, Xbob42 said:

I play on a very nice monitor, so, no, it's not that. It's very much the Switch. But please, tell me how the image quality of this under-powered tablet is secretly really good if you have the right TV.

Calm down I was just bustin your balls. Everyone knows you have extremely high standards when it comes to video games and there is nothing wrong with that. But do me a favor. Try and just enjoy the game for what it is. It’s really fun. Just keep telling yourself it’s not a PC game.  :lol:

1 minute ago, Biggie said:

Calm down I was just bustin your balls. Everyone knows you have extremely high standards when it comes to video games and there is nothing wrong with that. But do me a favor. Try and just enjoy the game for what it is. It’s really fun. Just keep telling yourself it’s not a PC game.  :lol:

No.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I didn't play it much, it's still on my shelf. I contemplated getting the Switch version when it comes out, but it's $60. :/ 

Can’t wait for the Switch version. Go back and try it on a DS system. You’ll be glad you did.