On 7/12/2018 at 3:27 PM, Xbob42 said:

I haven't delved into the combat much myself, but I'm expecting a situation here where it's like Bravely default except I don't like the visuals... so worse than Bravely Default for me personally. So tired of Square Enix RPGs with shallow, pointless stories. And since I'm extremely put off by the weird art style rather than amazed by it, it doesn't even have that going for me. Is it really so hard for them to hire a few writers to come up with some really killer stories? It seems like every single RPG they've put out in the last decade and a half has had middling nonsense stories no one cares about, and as RPGs that's a huge bummer.

How well did you like Bravely Default? 

Spoiler

I enjoyed the first few chapters and loved the combat, but when the chapters started repeating because the characters are a bunch of fucking idiots, it started pissing me off. I put the game down for several months before picking it back up. Who the hell thought it was a good idea to have us fight the same bosses several times because the characters are stupid?? First I got the incomplete ending where you fight that fairy thing prematurely, only to find out that I basically have to do the same chapter a few more times with minor variations to get the proper ending. :angry:

Well, now that I got that off my chest, this game looks good but I remain skeptical. I'll wait to see a more reviews.... and to see if I end up buying a switch. :p 

10 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Do it! do it! DO IT!

Image result for dog nudges animated gif

Well, any funds I had for this game went to getting Triage and our daughter Brooks Ghost 10/11s. We go on 4 mile walks daily, and their shoes were shit. I definitely want my bride to be able to walk down the isle. 

Oh, well... I'll get it somepoint down the line when it hits a sale. 

1 hour ago, Emblazon said:

Well, any funds I had for this game went to getting Triage and our daughter Brooks Ghost 10/11s. We go on 4 mile walks daily, and their shoes were shit. I definitely want my bride to be able to walk down the isle. 

In before @SFLUFAN or @stepee  gets it for you.

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

So how do you switch to the other characters mid game? The game prompted me to but there was no obvious way to do it.

(What I mean is I start as one character, then I want to do one of the other character's prologues after I finish the previous one)

The character you start as is always in your main party. As you go around the map you can unlock other characters to add to the party. I think I went into a tavern/bar and they asked did I wanna switch characters. 

11 hours ago, Emblazon said:

eshop or physical?

2 hours ago, Biggie said:

The character you start as is always in your main party. As you go around the map you can unlock other characters to add to the party. I think I went into a tavern/bar and they asked did I wanna switch characters. 

I guess I should have given it more time. Went to another town, met Therion and did his introduction.

Also, thankfully, he speaks like a regular person :p 

I have to say the trend of JRPGs where on the lines where there isn’t VA so they just have the character say 1-2 words that sort of convey the tone of what they are actually saying is one of the most annoying things in video games for me at this time. 

It just grates on me so much. 

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

I have to say the trend of JRPGs where on the lines where there isn’t VA so they just have the character say 1-2 words that sort of convey the tone of what they are actually saying is one of the most annoying things in video games for me at this time. 

It just grates on me so much. 

Guess I’m in the minority because I love that. Lol. 

2 minutes ago, Biggie said:

You probably aren’t in the monority. It’s probably more unique to me. Something about it makes any conversation feel so disingenuous to me. 

I just turned the voices off, so I’m good now. 

10 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

You probably aren’t in the monority. It’s probably more unique to me. Something about it makes any conversation feel so disingenuous to me. 

I just turned the voices off, so I’m good now. 

I guess it depends on the game, but not a totally annoying issue for me. But it certainly beats listening to a crappy voice actor recite needless dialogue.

Im playing with Japanese voices and the short bursts are not an issue.

55 minutes ago, Biggie said:

You... love that? I can see not being bothered by it (I'm not), but how does one love it? It's just kind of a reminder that they didn't pay for full voice acting, because Square Enix is an indie company.

3 hours ago, stepee said:

eshop or physical?

1 hour ago, Biggie said:

@Emblazon       :daydream:    :sun:

Sorry, just got back from taking Triage, our daughter, and her friend to see Skyscraper (total cost=$7.50!). 

So who's doing what, now? @stepee, man, you've done so much already. <3

But if you do feel like doing a bit more, eShop, please. 

And what did you want orange (from Discord)?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

You... love that? I can see not being bothered by it (I'm not), but how does one love it? It's just kind of a reminder that they didn't pay for full voice acting, because Square Enix is an indie company.

I find it charming. Different stokes for different folks. 

16 minutes ago, Emblazon said:

Sorry, just got back from taking Triage, our daughter, and her friend to see Skyscraper (total cost=$7.50!). 

So who's doing what, now? @stepee, man, you've done so much already. <3

But if you do feel like doing a bit more, eShop, please. 

And what did you want orange (from Discord)?

lol Wade told me late that he already got you octopath, hence my giveaway thread :P

As far as orange, my name used to be orange here, so I was asking how to get that back!

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

lol Wade told me late that he already got you octopath, hence my giveaway thread :P

As far as orange, my name used to be orange here, so I was asking how to get that back!

I will get on that sometime this weekend. Busy weekend here. I need my deep purple back, too. :)

• Like 1

Put in 12 hours so far this weekend. Got 5 of the 8 characters and absolutely love the game. Everything is spot on. From the music, sound effects, graphics, characters stories, and gameplay. Square hit it out of the park on this one. 

2 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

I went into this game knowing nothing and I'm happy I wound up going with Therion. It's nice not having to go back to other towns to pick pocket random NPCs.

Just added Therion to my party. Very cool character and love his thief/steal ability. You get a plethora of items from every NPC. But yeah, I’ll be going back to rob every NPC that I missed earlier in the game. :lol:

4 minutes ago, Emblazon said:

So, once you finish a chapter, you just up and pick another character on the map?

Olberic is hilarious with his "challenge everyone" ability. Until you challenge an old bar maid and she wipes the floor with you. :lol:

Lol. Game is so great. 

26 minutes ago, Emblazon said:

Olberic is hilarious with his "challenge everyone" ability. Until you challenge an old bar maid and she wipes the floor with you. :lol:

I've gotta find whatever the Octopath Traveler version of the classic "Ribbon" accessory is.  Because there's this one dude as soon as I challenge him it's like a Marlboro; instantly poisoned, confused, blind, etc. 

2 hours ago, Emblazon said:

So, once you finish a chapter, you just up and pick another character on the map?

Just head toward the next town where you can recruit/play through the first chapter of the next character.

• Thanks 1

On 7/14/2018 at 8:35 AM, Bacon said:

Uh, this is a Nintendo game. You either get it on the Switch for $60 or on the next Console for $40-$60. 

I waited through the entire DS lifespan for Mario Kart to hit $20 and never bought it.