Jump to content

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, rossi_84 said:

Getting the game, but thinking of skipping the demo.

I erased/deleted it off my SWITCH. I know it’s good and I’m going to download it. I don’t want the demo to carry over to my game. Gonna start fresh. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I played it for about two hours.. and man I'm torn. I really like the old-school RPG side of it. I do still think the graphics are a little too blurry, though. For someone whose eyesight isn't what it used to be I kept rubbing my eyes thinking it was me, but it wasn't. It was like someone smeared vaseline over the screen.

 

That said, I just don't know if I can get into a game like this nowadays. I had a really hard time sitting through the hefty amount of dialogue at the beginning. I just don't know if I have the patience anymore.

 

As far as the game itself goes it seems pretty solid, I didn't have any trouble figuring out what I was supposed to do or the fight mechanic, although it does bug me in rpg's when you have a character with the ability to "learn" monster techniques, yet every time you try, it never seems to learn anything. Throughout the entire demo I jumped that tiger creature thing onto every enemy I came across and never learned a single ability.

 

I think what it really came down to was the screen sharpness. To be fair, I was playing on the Switch in the car on a trip, then on a shitty motel tv, so I wasn't on the most optimal setup. Maybe I'll try it again now that I'm home.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I loved the first demo but I'm going to wait on reviews, especially about the end game. These guys made bravely default, no way I'm buying it without a full review. It looks like one of those games that starts really strong but goes off the fucking rails halfway through. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The second demo is just a time-limited version of the main game. You get to play for 3 hours and get as far as you want. Then your progress carries over. (Since it's just the full game) So it's more like an early start to the game than a demo, if I understand it correctly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So, not every character's intro is equal. The thief's is pure shit, and it isn't until you beat the boss that it kinda starts to get good. The apothecary's intro on the other hand is a good start. Feels like a proper intro. The thief's intro has hardly any voice acting until the end whereas the apothecary's intro has voice acting about half of the time. Voice acting isn't that great all around so even ignoring that the thief's intro just feels very lacking. I'm not going to say you should start with the apothecary but I really don't think you should start as the thief.

 

Like Evil Ash said, I to find the game a bit blurry, and the darkening affect around the edges is not something I like.  I also think that the game doesn't look spectacular. It's a nice twist on pixel art but it just isn't that pleasing to my eyes. It actually looks better on YouTube, imo. It is really more like some of the environments don't look that great. I find the green areas of the apothecary's to be somewhat ugly. It kind of looks like avocado smear. Some parts look good due to the water but yeah.

 

I find the game to be fun enough at least. There are some new gimmicks but they are good so far unlike Bravely Default's. Even still, I am really going to have to wait on some reviews for this. I just don't want things to get out of hand but, I can easily see that happening like it did with Bravely Default.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The whole game is over localized as well. Like, they use BS old English, and change common idioms to fit the world and I don't like that. Like "Hold you seahorses" instead of just hold your horses. I can't say I like that. Especially as the example doesn't even work.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Bacon said:

The whole game is over localized as well. Like, they use BS old English, and change common idioms to fit the world and I don't like that. Like "Hold you seahorses" instead of just hold your horses. I can't say I like that. Especially as the example doesn't even work.

I hate shit like that. Not so much the old English, but the made-up idioms. Just use the normal idiom or make up a completely original one. Don't alter an existing one, that's so jarring and stupid. My preference is for them to just use a normal ass idiom. I'm totally fine, with, say, Final Fantasy characters saying "hold your horses" as opposed to "hold your chocobos." You just wrap your arms around my neck and pull me right out of the game when you do that. I'd rather vaguely think "Do they even have horses in this world?" over "Is it too late to get a refund?"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Bacon said:

The whole game is over localized as well. Like, they use BS old English, and change common idioms to fit the world and I don't like that. Like "Hold you seahorses" instead of just hold your horses. I can't say I like that. Especially as the example doesn't even work.

 

1 hour ago, Xbob42 said:

I hate shit like that. Not so much the old English, but the made-up idioms. Just use the normal idiom or make up a completely original one. Don't alter an existing one, that's so jarring and stupid. My preference is for them to just use a normal ass idiom. I'm totally fine, with, say, Final Fantasy characters saying "hold your horses" as opposed to "hold your chocobos." You just wrap your arms around my neck and pull me right out of the game when you do that. I'd rather vaguely think "Do they even have horses in this world?" over "Is it too late to get a refund?"

I find that sort of stuff cute and charming. Lol. You guys should relax and just enjoy the game being nerdy. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Biggie said:

I find that sort of stuff cute and charming. Lol. You guys should relax and just enjoy the game being nerdy. 

I am more fine with it if it makes sense. Like the Chocobo one is OK I suppose. But it is especially the ones that are just straight up shit, like seahorses, that grind my balls into the dirt. But I don't like ones that are like "Hold on to your race specific body part, boyz!1!!!!1!!!!" The only time it is really fine is if it is done for comedy. Like if the TMNT said "Hold on to your pizza" then that is OK but saying "hold on to your shell" would be dumb.

 

Over all tho, I rather it not happen at all. The game just feels over localized at that point and I don't like it. Just say shit in normal English.

 

BTW, @Xbob42 This is the old English I don't like. This is the biggest example of it. Like, FFS. Start at like 20 seconds if you don't want to wait.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So far, that is the only character who talks like that. The rest are pretty standard for this type of game. And I like the NA Scholar over the JP one. What I mean is that some of there characters have altered personalities in the NA version. The localization really changed shit up, and not really in a good way. It is to the point where I don't think I can even use the JP audio as it just isn't watching what I am reading. I actually have been using the NA voices and only testing out the JP ones. The voice direction also causes a big difference. That Scholar and Apothecary are prime examples of this. Feels like a whole different character depending on what voice over you use. It might be better to just turn off voices all together. At this point I wish there simply wasn't a VO at all. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Bacon said:

So far, that is the only character who talks like that. The rest are pretty standard for this type of game. And I like the NA Scholar over the JP one. What I mean is that some of there characters have altered personalities in the NA version. The localization really changed shit up, and not really in a good way. It is to the point where I don't think I can even use the JP audio as it just isn't watching what I am reading. I actually have been using the NA voices and only testing out the JP ones. The voice direction also causes a big difference. That Scholar and Apothecary are prime examples of this. Feels like a whole different character depending on what voice over you use. It might be better to just turn off voices all together. At this point I wish there simply wasn't a VO at all. 

 

It was both characters talking that was cringy for me. It felt so artificial and like it was trying way too hard.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Anzo said:

I started as the Hunter and the dialogue was REALLY off putting. I’m no stranger to ye old English and even thought this was too much. If the other characters aren’t like that then that is promising. 

 

I have done every Chapter 1 story line except for the cleric. The hunter's intro is the only where the people talk like that. It is fucking dumb. For me the best starting area is the Apothecary or the Scholar. 

 

If I get the game, I am going to go in this order:

Apothecary > Thief > Hunter > Cleric > Scholar > Merchant > Warrior > Dancer

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

I’ve heard the demo is quite boring. 

The demo is underwhelming as every single story starts out cliche AF and every character plays the same, at least this early on. At this point in the game the combat is noting more than abuse the weakness, and I also doubt that changes. The shielding system makes you play that way.

 

And about the story being cliche AF:

A country boy sets out on an adventure to do good.

A sneak thief gets caught and has to help out the people who caught him.

A scholar sets out to solve a 15 year old mystery.

A small town girl wants to see the world.

A failed knight sets out to get his revenge on a traitor. 

A fallen noble turned prostitute finally finds one of the people who killed her father.  

 

There are two more characters I need to see the intro for but... yeah:tired:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...