YouTube algorithm pushed election fraud claims to Trump supporters, report says

Jason

And I’m sure not just to Trump supporters. My Dad didn’t start out being into conspiracy theories about politics, it was food and heath stuff he watched on youtube, and then it went into weird 5g/wifi conspiracy stuff, and then eventually to the MAGA stuff.

Funny thing is, and your never guess this, but the grifters who try to sell their whatever weird vitamins and radiation detectors are often shilling at Trump conventions. What a coincidence! He’s even noticed this and thought it was a little strange but still can’t use that as a grip back to reality.

Definitely was the youtube algorithm specifically in his case that broke his sense of reality for some things, and the sad thing being is it will likely negatively impact his health as he gets older and needs actual medical care that these people try to steer him from.

But they did get him to subscribe to youtube premium so good job team.

• Halal 1

From the (admittedly little) that I studied of recommender systems during my master's in CS, it's a pretty common problem that I suspect we've all noticed:

As soon as they realize you like something, recommender systems tend to flood you with that thing, eschewing novelty for familiarity and easy "wins" (re: desirable content). 

Which is all to say, I don't think this was necessarily malicious or even intentional, but it's a general problem. 

21 minutes ago, Nokra said:

From the (admittedly little) that I studied of recommender systems during my master's in CS, it's a pretty common problem that I suspect we've all noticed:

As soon as they realize you like something, recommender systems tend to flood you with that thing, eschewing novelty for familiarity and easy "wins" (re: desirable content). 

Which is all to say, I don't think this was necessarily malicious or even intentional, but it's a general problem. 

I think it’s intentional in that they know what is going to happen and they let it happen. 

• Halal 1

4 hours ago, Nokra said:

Correct. The algorithm is autonomous, and is a one-size-fits all system of circular feedback.

The algorithm isn't the story here, the continued allowed existence of election misinformation is.

3 hours ago, Reputator said:

Correct. The algorithm is autonomous, and is a one-size-fits all system of circular feedback.

The algorithm isn't the story here, the continued allowed existence of election misinformation is.

If "the algorithm" is producing technically correct but actually fucked up results then I don't see how that's a distinction with a difference.