The nation's poorest state used welfare money to pay Brett Favre for speeches he never made

Jason

I'm always amazed by how much Republicans will brag about supposed "red" states, saying, "Wow, look how free Florida is (ignore us being the least affordable state in the union), look at all the jobs in Texas (ignore that our power grid fucking failed)," and yet... the poorest states are states like Mississippi and West Virginia, and Mississippi has NO FUCKING WATER IN JACKSON AND DOES THIS SHIT.

• True 1
  • Halal 1

36 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I'm always amazed by how much Republicans will brag about supposed "red" states, saying, "Wow, look how free Florida is (ignore us being the least affordable state in the union), look at all the jobs in Texas (ignore that our power grid fucking failed)," and yet... the poorest states are states like Mississippi and West Virginia, and Mississippi has NO FUCKING WATER IN JACKSON AND DOES THIS SHIT.

Voters in these states assume everything is worse in other states, especially blue states. They think it's all crime, homeless people, unaffordable taxes being siphoned to wealthy and corrupt bureaucrats, social services being completely consumed by undocumented immigrants, and everyone really just being unhappy.

These are the same people that thought Portland was burned to the ground. This is why dumb narratives like everyone is trying to escape California to move to Texas takes root.

• True 1
  • Halal 1

17 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Voters in these states assume everything is worse in other states, especially blue states. They think it's all crime, homeless people, unaffordable taxes being siphoned to wealthy and corrupt bureaucrats, social services being completely consumed by undocumented immigrants, and everyone really just being unhappy.

These are the same people that thought Portland was burned to the ground. This is why dumb narratives like everyone is trying to escape California to move to Texas takes root.

Not just Portland but every major city!

My cousin moved from her $1 million dollar home in a Seattle suburb (her husband is an exec at Microsoft or Amazon or something [I'm pretty sure he is deeply in the closet but whatever]) to the middle of nowhere bumfuck Oregon cause they were afraid of the anarchy and rioting in Seattle. Lol. Now she hates it and is bored out of her mind.

• Sicko 1
  • Halal 1

5 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Otoh Texas is bad

Today is homecoming for a bunch of the area schools and people do the mum thing and it does make me wonder about my home state

for reference: 

YESTOTEXAS.COM

I just found out that Homecoming Mums are a Texas-only thing, and I'm still baffled. Here's what Non-Texans need to know about it.

8 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Today is homecoming for a bunch of the area schools and people do the mum thing and it does make me wonder about my home state

for reference: 

YESTOTEXAS.COM

I just found out that Homecoming Mums are a Texas-only thing, and I'm still baffled. Here's what Non-Texans need to know about it.

This is unholy

49 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Not just Portland but every major city!

36 minutes ago, thewhyteboar said:

My cousin moved from her $1 million dollar home in a Seattle suburb (her husband is an exec at Microsoft or Amazon or something [I'm pretty sure he is deeply in the closet but whatever]) to the middle of nowhere bumfuck Oregon cause they were afraid of the anarchy and rioting in Seattle. Lol. Now she hates it and is bored out of her mind.

18 minutes ago, stepee said:

My Dad has been convinced SF is a warzone now and we live like 30 minutes away, he could just pop in and check lol.

Exactly this. I have a ton of family in Florida and they just assume it's all gangs and homeless where I'm from. I'm just, no, we've got a pretty nice town down with a decent nightlife, a few farmer's markets in the weekend, several really nice art studios where you can support local artists, and nice community food and music festivals held throughout the year. Also, we have a public health option and some pretty great schools and hospitals. Also, the state gave us all $400 per child to help keep them fed over the summer.

Nah, none of that is true. Everything was burned down by Antifa and all the small business ransacked by BLM protestors.

16 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

for reference: 

YESTOTEXAS.COM

Forget the weirdo mum thing for a moment. Isn't this a little too early? I'm used to Homecoming being a fall thing, so usually mid-late October. Right in the middle of prime football season.

7 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Forget the weirdo mum thing for a moment. Isn't this a little too early? I'm used to Homecoming being a fall thing, so usually mid-late October. Right in the middle of prime football season.

Here it is defined by the football schedule, with HoCo generally being based around the biggest rivalry game played at home that season. So some schools is doing their HoCo pretty much every weekend from September through October.

3 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

This is SO True. My buddy lives un Florida and he talks about that all the time. The perception of how blue states are is insane in Red America.

53 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Does Texas have those creepy balls where dads take their daughters and it's so obviously sexualized? I've seen those and they seem crazy.

I don’t think it is as common as in the “old south” states like the Carolinas and Georgia. Never heard of any friends going to them when I was a kid. I think generally such events have faded out in the last 20 years even where they were more common.

3 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

Exactly this. I have a ton of family in Florida and they just assume it's all gangs and homeless where I'm from. I'm just, no, we've got a pretty nice town down with a decent nightlife, a few farmer's markets in the weekend, several really nice art studios where you can support local artists, and nice community food and music festivals held throughout the year. Also, we have a public health option and some pretty great schools and hospitals. Also, the state gave us all $400 per child to help keep them fed over the summer.

Nah, none of that is true. Everything was burned down by Antifa and all the small business ransacked by BLM protestors.

I got sick of telling people that the only "destroyed" place in Portland was a small area of downtown - an area that basically fell into a sharp decline anyway at the beginning of the pandemic because without people working in offices, there's basically nothing there.

10 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

The hilarious part is rich blue states that these people think are "falling apart" heavily subsidize red states at the national/federal level. Blue states are carrying their shitty red state asses like Oklahoma and Nebraska, etc. and they think the blue states and rich cities suck. Cognitive dissonance at its best.

This isn’t true :p 

2 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

This isn’t true :p 

Are you sure? This is what I've seen, I could be wrong but I've read multiple articles throughout the years stating as much.

zfjg5q2yqtmtsu7ki5lz.jpg
WWW.MONEYGEEK.COM

To put states' financial health into context, MoneyGeek analyzed and ranked states according to their dependence on the federal government.

USCapitol0821_640.jpg
WWW.MINNPOST.COM

A recent Rockefeller Institute study makes clear how much money flows out of Democratic-leaning states into Republican-leaning ones.

3000.jpeg
APNEWS.COM

WASHINGTON (AP) — Republican leaders have spent months promoting the myth that red low-tax states are subsidizing blue high-tax states because of the deduction for state and local taxes...

On 9/2/2022 at 6:27 AM, Ghost_MH said:

wish more people would bail on Portland because they think it's a shithole; it might free up some houses so I could actually buy one. :p 

• Sicko 1

On 9/2/2022 at 9:33 AM, sblfilms said:

for reference: 

YESTOTEXAS.COM

Oh god don’t remind me man. Though I once saw a Whataburger mum, that’s the only one I would ever support. 

On 9/3/2022 at 6:02 PM, Nokra said:

wish more people would bail on Portland because they think it's a shithole; it might free up some houses so I could actually buy one. :p 

I'm staying in Portland for a little while right now and I was working a wedding tonight. This one guy was standing in front of the bar talking about how he owns 4 properties and rents 3 of them out as airbnbs (bragging that they're only occupied like a week out of any given month, but it's still better than having tenants), and then saying to the guy he was talking to that he should charge his roommates more for rent to maximize profits.

I wanted to blow my brains out.