~~ 3DS Community Thread ~~

chakoo

12 hours ago, ShreddieMercuryRising said:

This thread is mostly dead, but I wanted to get some opinions.  I saw the 2DS with New Super Mario Bros. 2 going for $69, which seems like a steal for a system with such an expansive and celebrated library.  Should I pull the trigger?  I have a Switch but it's too big for me to carry around or play games while traveling, so I use it docked for the most part.

This is the "wedge" version? Hmmm. I mean, yeah, at that price it's hard to say no to that! 

However, if you can find a good deal on the *NEW* 2DS XL instead....? I'd go that route. Of course, whatever you end up choosing, you can't make a wrong choice! 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

This is the "wedge" version? Hmmm. I mean, yeah, at that price it's hard to say no to that! 

However, if you can find a good deal on the *NEW* 2DS XL instead....? I'd go that route. Of course, whatever you end up choosing, you can't make a wrong choice! 

The price is what’s compelling to me - and I don’t really care for 3D for the most part. Do you not care for the cheese block 2DS as much as the others? 

On 10/18/2019 at 11:21 AM, ShreddieMercuryRising said:

The price is what’s compelling to me - and I don’t really care for 3D for the most part. Do you not care for the cheese block 2DS as much as the others? 

I think it was more a case of recommending a system from the New line like new 2DS XL as you get clam shell design and the faster CPU that does offer some improvements in a few games. As well it can run some of the handful of titles that only run on a n2DS or n3DS like Xenoblade & Minecraft. 

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, chakoo said:

I think it was more a case of recommending a system from the New line like new 2DS XL as you get clam shell design and the faster CPU that does offer some improvements in a few games. As well it can run some of the handful of titles that only run on a n2DS or n3DS like Xenoblade & Minecraft. 

Thanks for clarifying.  I've read up a bit on the "New" line of DS systems, and while that all sounds great, I think for my uses (catching up on 3DS and DS games and playing on the go), the 2DS should be fine.  I'm interested in Link Between Worlds, Mario 3D Land, MK 7 (although I have 8 on Switch so maybe it's too redundant), Luigi's Mansion 2, NSMB 2, the Zelda remakes, etc.  Any other less well known or 3rd party games I should prioritize?  Kirby Canvas Curse looks awesome too.

19 hours ago, ShreddieMercuryRising said:

Thanks for clarifying.  I've read up a bit on the "New" line of DS systems, and while that all sounds great, I think for my uses (catching up on 3DS and DS games and playing on the go), the 2DS should be fine.  I'm interested in Link Between Worlds, Mario 3D Land, MK 7 (although I have 8 on Switch so maybe it's too redundant), Luigi's Mansion 2, NSMB 2, the Zelda remakes, etc.  Any other less well known or 3rd party games I should prioritize?  Kirby Canvas Curse looks awesome too.

In that case a 2DS should be fine. I'd add Kirby Planet Robobot and Animal Crossing as well to that collection, skip Canvas Curse.

@ShreddieMercuryRising

Do not skip Canvas Curse.

Depending on your tastes, I also recommend the Persona Q games. And there is a third person shooter called Ironfall that I found pretty good. It didn’t do well in reviews, but I liked it. It’s cheap too (even free to start) so you can check it out fairly risk-free. 

Also, if you like strategy games, check out Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars. It was a launch title for the system, and plays like X-COM. I recommend it. 

• Thanks 1

Just here to say, the Nintendo 3DS is by far the best handheld every released. That amazing library of games and retro content too. (Ambassador edition here FTW)

Sad it’s coming or already came to an end. But I’ll keep on playing and collecting for many years to come. 

I called it’s greatness back in 2011 on this very forum and it appears I’m proven correct 😉

• 4 weeks later...

Massive digital sale on the eShop atm, Games up to 50% off. Some atlus titles are as low as $10. GO BUY STUFF!!!!!!!

USA: https://happyholidays.nintendo.com/cyber-deals/ / https://www.nintendo.com/games/game-guide/#filter/:q=&dFR[filterShops][0]=At retail&dFR[generalFilters][0]=Deals&dFR[platform][0]=Nintendo 3DS

Canada: https://www.nintendo.com/en_CA/games/game-guide/#filter/:q=&dFR[filterShops][0]=At retail&dFR[generalFilters][0]=Deals&dFR[platform][0]=Nintendo 3DS

Titles like Kirby's Epic Yarn, Persona Q2, Etrian Odyssey Nexus, Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology, ***k tons more!

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

So....Driver: Renegade.

Has anyone played this game? I recently picked it up for a stupid-low price and gave it a shot. I wasn't expected much since the reviews pretty much unanimously call it out as terrible. And honestly? They aren't wrong. The game ain't great. It's pretty bad. Yet...it may fall under the "so bad it's good" category. At least for me, lol. 

The graphics aren't anything to write home about. Looks about average for a 3DS game that came out in 2011. There is a weird amount of "pop in" of buildings and other geometry when driving through the city, which was distracting at first. The car models do an okay job of looking like real-world vehicles, and the 3D is decent, too. 

The writing is what really sells it for me. It's SO BAD. Like, literally terrible. I think I could write better dialogue and scenarios when I was in sixth grade. It's trying so hard to be "badass" and "hardcore" or whatever. F-bombs are getting dropped in the very first cutscenes, talk of drugs and sex and violence are just oozing out of every scene in the game. The one-liners from the main character are so deliciously cheesy it would make Duke Nukem blush. My favorite line is one that gets repeated maybe too often whenever you kill a bad guy: "Fragged! Goodbye forever, shit head!" So corny, but so satisfying. 

To the game's credit, it does a better-than-expected realization of New York City, with real-life streets and structures, and the load times are nearly non-existant. There is plenty to do, with about 20 missions in the Story Mode, and (allegedly) about 70 races to complete in the Campaign Mode, which is basically just like a standard racing game. There is Local Multiplayer and StreetPass functions, but no online mode. Which is fine, since it's 2020 and I doubt anyone would be playing online anyway, haha.

The 3DS never got a Grand Theft Auto or Saint's Row game (even though one was originally announced?!) but Driver: Renegade shows the 3DS could (very technically) pull off a somewhat realistic, open-world 3D action game. Check it out if you can find it for cheap.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...
3 hours ago, GameDadGrant said:

What kind of idiot buys a new 3DS game in 2021? Me. I'm that idiot.

EwjVn4SWgAExF-y?format=jpg&name=900x900

Congratulations on owning what is probably the last produced 3DS game. Only time will tell if it's value goes up by 400% in 5 years (my money is on Persona Q2 Showtime Ed or Yo-kai Watch 3).

Also I have bought some 3DS games recently but they were digital copies from the Level 5 Jpn eShop sale. I was playing through Yo-kai busters 2 recently :)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, chakoo said:

Congratulations on owning what is probably the last produced 3DS game. Only time will tell if it's value goes up by 400% in 5 years (my money is on Persona Q2 Showtime Ed or Yo-kai Watch 3).

Also I have bought some 3DS games recently but they were digital copies from the Level 5 Jpn eShop sale. I was playing through Yo-kai busters 2 recently :)

I never even opened my Persona Q2 limited edition, lol. And damn at Yo Kai Watch 3. I have it, but I did open it and play it some. 

1 hour ago, gamer.tv said:

Dear me I could go for having a 3DS again just to play the Zelda games and Samus Returns. But that would be silly...

Why would it be silly? Those are great games!

5 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I never even opened my Persona Q2 limited edition, lol. And damn at Yo Kai Watch 3. I have it, but I did open it and play it some. 

I actually really wanted to play Persona Q2, so I ended up going out and buying a normal copy at launch to keep my LE/SE sealed (still is), lol that one got very valuable quickly. Yo Kai I don't regret opening because I think it's sadly overlooked but I do regret not grabbing a 2nd copy at launch because I knew it was going to be stupidly rare because of how Level 5 handled Yo kai busters which went out of stock in a month locally and yet I think they ended up even worse with YW3 because if a store got copies it was only a handful and most were sold in less than a week. =/

7 hours ago, gamer.tv said:

Dear me I could go for having a 3DS again just to play the Zelda games and Samus Returns. But that would be silly...

Nope, What would be silly is not buying one and playing those games.

I'm kind of glad we've gotten so far away from the switch launch that I noticed the animosity towards the 3DS has cooled down a lot and people are recognizing it has some great games that make owning one worth it.

4 hours ago, GameDadGrant said:

Animosity? Who? I want names!

It's less of a case here but on other forums go back to 3DS threads on Luigi's Mansion (the port of 1, not 2) and other 3DS games that came out after the switch launched. You'll see tons of people complaining about effort being wasted on 3DS that should be on switch or complaining why game X isn't being ported to switch instead. :)

@chakoo

Ah, gotcha. Yeah actually now that you mention it, I do remember one of my IRL buddies constantly complaining that Samus Returns came out only on 3DS and (so far!) never got a port to Switch. 

Though I’d wager that a lot of that animosity is gone now only because new 3DS games aren’t being made anymore. Like, I’d assume there would have been a huge uproar if the Link’s Awakening remake came out on 3DS and not Switch, for example. 

It doesn’t go the other way, though. No one seemed to mind that games like Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 and Blaster Master Zero 2 got released on Switch but not 3DS. :p 

• 2 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

@chakoo

Oh hell yeah let's gooooooo....! :rocking:

EDIT: Hmm, can't seem to checkout. The website seems to want to reload/update the page or something. :confused:

It’s sadly being hammered so you have to let it sit a bit to load but you’ll be able to checkout. The coupon was the worse for it to load. :/

here is a direct link to the us version.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Raggit said:

I barely know anything about this game... Why am I trying so hard to buy this, lol?

Edit: Still haven't been able to checkout...

That sucks. At what point in the checkout does it choke? According to their twitter account the site has been hammered.

Here is a video preview of the game. I must admit I looked this up after buying, :p. It looks to be a sequel to a Visco Neo Geo Shooter that they're releasing on a few different systems. The company has a license agreement with Visco as they've re-released some of their games on other systems. I've actually played the first game before on NG and generally like Visco's old work.