Cancel Culture Coming to Swastika Mountain

220825200652-tease-only-swastika-mountai
WWW.CNN.COM

Swastika Mountain, located within Oregon's Umpqua National Forest, may get a new name later this year -- partly thanks to one Eugene resident.

Swastika Mountain, located within Oregon's Umpqua National Forest, may get a new name later this year -- partly thanks to one Eugene resident.

"I thought 'this is crazy,'" Joy McClain, 81, said when she saw the mountain's name in a local paper and felt called to action.

"I decided maybe I can't do anything, but I'm going to look into what it takes to change the name of the mountain," McClain said.

Swastika Mountain got its name from the extinct town of Swastika -- which reportedly took its name from the owner of a cattle ranch who would brand his cattle with the symbol, Kerry Tymchuk, the Boyle Family Executive Director of the Oregon Historical Society told CNN.

"This was in the early 1900's, long before the symbol became associated with the Nazis and Hitler," Tymchuk said. The rancher used the symbol because it was a Sanskrit symbol meaning "good luck" or "well-being," he added.

However, after WWII, the mountain name never changed.

"I suspect that if someone had proposed a new name, it would have been changed long ago," Tymchuk said. The mountain is not very well known, he said, and is in the middle of a National Forest and fairly inaccessible.