Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
DPCyric

Books Audible suggestions?

Recommended Posts

So I have a stack of credits to burn before I cancel my subscription... I have the Wheel of Time series to listen to so probably can avoid the Fantasy genre unless there is something I NEED to listen to. I would like a Science Fiction series to listen to but beyond that I'm open to all sorts of suggestions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When it comes to audio books the narrator is as important as the writer, so I will recommend books not by author but by narrator (as I wouldn't recommend a book by a crappy writer)

 

I'd suggest Name of the Wind and A Wise Man's Fear, both narrated by Nick Podehl, but those are fantasy. Nick also narrates a fun series about con artist and his crew that run cons in Vegas. Take Down, Bad Action, Super Con (Billy Cunningham series by James Swain)

 

Luke Daniels is another of my favorite narrators and I can recommend several series he words on. Frontline series by Marko Kloos is a sci-fi series. And can also recommend the Atticus Fish novels by Shaun Morey there are 3 books in the series. Not sure what category I would put them in. I think Amazon lists them as mystery, but I wouldn't call them that, more like humorous adventures, reminded me a bit of Dave Barry or Carl Hiaasen....should also note that at the moment the series is on sale for 99 cents each and then you can add on the audio for only 1.99 so no sense in using a credit when you can get them that cheap.

 

Kate Mulgrew does a great job narrating Nos4A2.

 

Jeff Hays and his team at Soundbooth Theater are freaking fantastic. Jeff gives each and every person their own voice and own distinct speech patterns, he doesn't narrate, he performs. He does a ton of LitRPG novels and I can easily recommend Harmon Cooper's Fantasy Online series, great action and absolutely hilarious. Also recommend Life Reset by Shemer Kuznits, a cool twist on the LitRPG series in that the main character is forced to be a villain. 

 

that's just off the top of my head

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stephen Fry reading the complete stories of Sherlock Holmes is probably my favorite Audible purchase. I've been listening to it on and off for over a year and I still have quite a bit left. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

Stephen Fry reading the complete stories of Sherlock Holmes is probably my favorite Audible purchase. I've been listening to it on and off for over a year and I still have quite a bit left. 

 

 

 

 

Hmm that's one I may consider. I have a bunch of credits I need to burn before I cancel my subscription as well. @DPCyric did you sign up for audible last year when it was on sale? for only 99? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Stephen Fry Harry Potter series is the worst thing I've ever listened to. If you want to listen to what equates to an old man sitting by the fire reading in a dreadfully monotone voice with zero characters, that's your bag of tea. Fucking horrible. #TeamJimDale

 

 

Sci Fi series:

Old Man's War 

Omega Force (Omega Rising is book 1)

Saturn Run

Columbus Day series 

Fear Saga

The Fold 

The Breach series 

Artemis

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Emblazon said:

The Stephen Fry Harry Potter series is the worst thing I've ever listened to. If you want to listen to what equates to an old man sitting by the fire reading in a dreadfully monotone voice with zero characters, that's your bag of tea. Fucking horrible. #TeamJimDale

 

 

 

 

Though I like him as an actor, I've never listened to any of Fry's work. As for Jim Dale, he's okay but there are plenty of narrators that blow him out of the water. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I grew up listening to the Jim Dale HP books (I love having them on hand thanks to Audible), so Fry reading them just sounds wrong. He's a good fit for Holmes though. Those are stories that should be told by a tired old man in front of a cozy fire :p

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

 

Though I like him as an actor, I've never listened to any of Fry's work. As for Jim Dale, he's okay but there are plenty of narrators that blow him out of the water. 

Marc Thompson is far and away the best narrator I've ever heard. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Emblazon said:

Also, RC Bray's reading of The Martian is spot on. So much better than the movie. 

 

 

Bray is damn good. I don't think I've ever heard Thompson.

 

as I mentioned early my favorites include Luke Daniels, Jeff Hays (seriously with his vocal range he is the mel blanc of audiobooks), and Nick Podehl (though I think part of the reason I like Nick so much is simply some of the books he's narrated.  I love the Kingkiller Chronicles so much and have listened to them repeatedly) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

oh another series that just occurred to me. The Tome of Bill. It's an 8 book series, but I think you can get the entire thing for 2 credits, books 1-4 and 5-8 are bundled. It's a funny horror series about a this geek who gets turned into a vampire. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, EternallDarkness said:

oh another series that just occurred to me. The Tome of Bill. It's an 8 book series, but I think you can get the entire thing for 2 credits, books 1-4 and 5-8 are bundled. It's a funny horror series about a this geek who gets turned into a vampire. 

 

If you're going that route, there's the Off to be a Wizard series. 

 

 

And Marc Thompson:

 

 

When it's conversations between Lando and Han, it's like it's Billy D and Harrison Ford. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Emblazon said:

 

If you're going that route, there's the Off to be a Wizard series. 

 

 

 

 

Yes and no, very different types of books, though I do love the Wizard 2.0 series...as long as you stop after the 3rd one. But with the Tome of Bill (or Bill the Vampire series) he can get 8 books for two credits. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@DPCyric

 

World War Z

 

Its a good book with one hell of cast

 

Max Brooks as The Interviewer
Steve Park as Kwang Jingshu
Frank Kamai as Nury Televadi
Nathan Fillion as Stanley MacDonald*
Paul Sorvino as Fernando Oliveira*
Ade M'Cormack as Jacob Nyathi*
Carl Reiner as Jurgen Warmbrunn
Waleed Zuaiter as Saladin Kader
Jay O. Sanders as Bob Archer
Dennis Boutsikaris as General Travis D'Ambrosia
Martin Scorsese as Breckinridge “Breck” Scott*
Simon Pegg as Grover Carlson*
Denise Crosby as Mary Jo Miller*
Bruce Boxleitner as Gavin Blaire*
Ajay Naidu as Ajay Shah
Nicki Clyne as Sharon*
Jeri Ryan as Maria Zhuganova*
Henry Rollins as T. Sean Collins
Maz Jobrani as Ahmed Farahnakian
Mark Hamill as Todd Wainio
Eamonn Walker as Xolelwa Azania / Paul Redeker / David Allen Forbes
Jürgen Prochnow as Philip Adler
David Ogden Stiers as Bohdan Taras Kondratiuk*
Michelle Kholos as Jesika Hendricks
Kal Penn as Sardar Khan*
Alan Alda as Arthur Sinclair Junior
Rob Reiner as "The Whacko"
Dean Edwards as Joe Muhammad
Frank Darabont as Roy Elliot*
Becky Ann Baker as Christina Eliopolis
Parminder Nagra as Barati Palshigar*
Brian Tee as Hyungchol Choi / Michael Choi*
Masi Oka as Kondo Tatsumi*
Frank Kamai as Tomonaga Ijiro
John Turturro as Seryosha Garcia Alvarez
Ric Young as Admiral Xu Zhicai*
Alfred Molina as Terry Knox*
John McElroy as Ernesto Olguin
Common as Darnell Hackworth*
F. Murray Abraham as Father Sergei Ryzhkov*
René Auberjonois as Andre Renard*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, DPCyric said:

So I have a stack of credits to burn before I cancel my subscription... I have the Wheel of Time series to listen to so probably can avoid the Fantasy genre unless there is something I NEED to listen to. I would like a Science Fiction series to listen to but beyond that I'm open to all sorts of suggestions.

 

 

Funny you say that, after two decades of listening to me recommended the series Carl finally started listening to it on audiobook.

 

I think the audiobook format finally got him over the hump of Jordan's dense prose.

 

Keep in mind, New Spring is probably best listened to right before or right after book 7. Being a prequel you can read it just about anytime(though reading it before book 1 will spoil things) it's best read around book 7 simply because that's around the time Jordan wrote it. So that's when it feels like the pieces connect the most immediately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Chairslinger said:

 

 

Funny you say that, after two decades of listening to me recommended the series Carl finally started listening to it on audiobook.

 

I think the audiobook format finally got him over the hump of Jordan's dense prose.

 

Keep in mind, New Spring is probably best listened to right before or right after book 7. Being a prequel you can read it just about anytime(though reading it before book 1 will spoil things) it's best read around book 7 simply because that's around the time Jordan wrote it. So that's when it feels like the pieces connect the most immediately.

 

Yeah I used my first credit on The Eye of The World way back when and the narration is really good. Thanks for the heads up on when to read the prequel I will check it out in that time frame :D I ended up getting the Mistborn trilogy as well wanted to try some more of Sanderson's work! Now have all my credits used thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Horus Heresy. Probably gonna be grim darker then what you are used to. Book 1 is Horus Rising. Start there. Some books are skippable so if you like horus rising I will make a list of recommendations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...