Starbucks illegally withheld raises from union workers, National Labor Relations Board says

There's a bit of interesting history with Starbucks in my city.

Back in the 90s there was a single Starbucks, located inside a book store, and they unionized. As a result, provincial law dictated that any other Starbucks that opened in the city would also need to be a part of that union. So...Starbucks never opened any more. So over the following 20-30 years, tonnes of local places flourished, especially compared to other cities where Starbucks was everywhere. More recently, however, Starbucks has gotten around this by franchising locations (which do not need to be part of the union, only corporate locations). Starbucks to this day insists that it does not franchise...but in my city it does, with many locations. However, the other chains are already established, so Starbucks is a relatively minor player.

28 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

There's a bit of interesting history with Starbucks in my city.

Back in the 90s there was a single Starbucks, located inside a book store, and they unionized. As a result, provincial law dictated that any other Starbucks that opened in the city would also need to be a part of that union. So...Starbucks never opened any more. So over the following 20-30 years, tonnes of local places flourished, especially compared to other cities where Starbucks was everywhere. More recently, however, Starbucks has gotten around this by franchising locations (which do not need to be part of the union, only corporate locations). Starbucks to this day insists that it does not franchise...but in my city it does, with many locations. However, the other chains are already established, so Starbucks is a relatively minor player.

Starbucks definitely franchises with locations in airports, grocery stores, etc. One way to tell IIRC is that you can only redeem Starbucks points at corporate stores. 

• True 1

• 2 months later...
33 minutes ago, Jason said:
221122115213-starbucks-seattle-broadway-
EDITION.CNN.COM

Starbucks is closing the store in Seattle where employees were the first to vote to form a union in the chain's home city.

Honestly I've always thought of store-level unions as untenable. Packing up an entire factory and moving it, while not impossible, still a requires a lot of effort compared to just closing a single store down. Should be pushing for unionization on either a state-level or at least major city level. Hell, my city of 30k has SIX Starbucks. Two full locations, two locations in grocery stores, and two in the mall.

• Halal 2

24 minutes ago, ThreePi said:

Honestly I've always thought of store-level unions as untenable. Packing up an entire factory and moving it, while not impossible, still a requires a lot of effort compared to just closing a single store down. Should be pushing for unionization on either a state-level or at least major city level. Hell, my city of 30k has SIX Starbucks. Two full locations, two locations in grocery stores, and two in the mall.

Every Starbucks here in Richmond are unionized. It’s the only way it would work really