Biden moves to formalize DACA and shield it from legal challenges

gettyimages-1241327044.jpg
WWW.CBSNEWS.COM

More than 600,000 unauthorized immigrants who arrived in the U.S. as children are able work and live in the U.S. without fear of deportation under the Obama-era DACA policy.

The Biden administration on Wednesday finalized a rule to transform the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) immigration policy for more than 600,000 so-called "Dreamers" into a federal regulation, a move aimed at protecting the program from legal challenges that imperil its existence.

The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) rule is set to take effect on Oct. 31 and will codify the Obama-era program, which has been governed by a 2012 memo for a decade, into the federal government's code of regulations.

While technical in nature, the change announced Wednesday is designed to address some of the Republican-led legal challenges against the DACA, which a federal judge in Texas last year closed to new applicants.

You know, I find it both frustrating but also now I'm hopeful that it seems Biden, to some degree, has realized - "oh shit, if I get shit done, my popularity goes up, and the country improves". It's like - finally. Stop being scared of Republicans, we have a majority right now (minus Manchin and Sinema) so let's fucking go. Filibuster still remains an enormous obstacle, but do what you can.

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47n9t4704lsm4mpzpux2

Just now, Greatoneshere said:

You know, I find it both frustrating but also now I'm hopeful that it seems Biden, to some degree, has realized - "oh shit, if I get shit done, my popularity goes up, and the country improves". It's like - finally. Stop being scared of Republicans, we have a majority right now (minus Manchin and Sinema) so let's fucking go. Filibuster still remains an enormous obstacle, but do what you can.

Especially because, at the moment, the only alternative republicans are offering is rage induced rectal prolapse. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Especially because, at the moment, the only alternative republicans are offering is rage induced rectal prolapse. 

So very true. I think a lot of independents who typically lean right are finally seeing that too. You can only live in Trumpland for so long I feel like until it's basically an ouroboros and we're at a point that there's simply too many lies to deny or back up. Too many investigations, impeachments, etc. The Mar-A-Lago raid just reads like a farce no matter which you look at it (except for those who are already all in). So it's like, Biden, let's go.

I also think for a portion of the country who was pro-life and wanted Roe v. Wade overturned didn't realize it would actually happen. It's nice to play like you have the moral high ground but when your rights as a woman are truly stripped from you, and LGBTQIA+ and contraceptives are next on the docket, "owning the libs" isn't so fun or funny anymore.

21 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

If feels like he slow rolled it, hoping for bipartisan support but knowing if it doesn’t happen, he will push the popular stuff through near midterms. He has been more calculating than people are giving him credit for. 

• True 1
  • Halal 1

14 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I think he's been moving stuff quietly behind the scenes, sometimes it takes a while for lots of small actions to create momentum. 

• True 1

15 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I think the Roe decision led to reality setting in. They aren’t going full throttle, but I think they finally understand they have to be on the offensive if they want any hope of staving off the GOP. 

• True 1