Fitness & Nutrition

SuperSpreader

• 1 month later...

Spoke to my sister about running and now we’ve decided to have a go at a half marathon in May. Just did my first training run (a very relaxed 5 mile run) which felt easy. Tomorrow is supposed to be a three mile run, so I may add in some speed work to see if I can increase my pace at all (I’m terrible for running further but never faster). Only downside is. I wife bought me some new running shoes for Christmas and it’s rubbed the top of my heel, so I may have to use them for strength sessions and get some other new ones for running.

I bought some adjustable dumbbells but returned them because I found it very awkward trying to use them without a bench and a bench is more equipment than I want taking up space in my apartment. Got an adjustable kettlebell instead and just did this workout, which I really liked, but it feels like it's incomplete on calves and chest? The leg stuff felt focused on quads and hamstrings and I felt the overhead press activating my chest a bit but not enough that it feels like I got a chest workout in. Any ideas on what to supplement this workout with to round it out?

On 12/28/2021 at 7:42 AM, Jason said:

I felt the overhead press activating my chest a bit but not enough that it feels like I got a chest workout in. Any ideas on what to supplement this workout with to round it out?

Yea the OHP will do nothing for chest building on its own. Also dont push press if you can help it, try and keep it strict. Without a bench your kind of stuck doing floor presses.

For calves you can do donkey raises or weighted calf raises.

• 3 weeks later...

More half marathon training so what should have been a 5 mile run (by the sat nav) ended up being 6.5 miles with a bag that had my laptop in it. That said, it was very hilly but felt great the whole time. My half route is flat mostly so I’m hoping it’ll be an easy finish and a springboard to thinking about a full marathon.

Taught swimming this afternoon, do 30 minutes of being in the water then a two mile recovery run (and a shirt dog walk afterwards). Feeling stupidly good at the moment.

Update: rest day on Wednesday but did walk a good 5 miles and a 3.5 mile run today. Another test day tomorrow, circuits on Saturday and then a long run on Sunday.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

3 mile hill run session on Thursday that was horrible. I’m planning on a 6.5 mile run tomorrow, then off for a beach walk - but if I feel

good I can keep going up to about 9 miles. 

Update: Change of plan. 7 mile run whilst my wife meets up with a friend.

Update 2: the plan changed as the route I saw was on a busy road. Took a detour and ending up running about 10 and 1/4 miles.

• 2 weeks later...

After the long run last week, I’ve only run once last week (walking every day and some swimming). I’m aiming to go for a 3 mile run then some strength work after work tomorrow, then yoga. Have a late day on Tuesday so I might do a short run home and then need to get another 5 miler, 8 miler and circuit session in…somewhere. 

• 1 month later...

Went in my second run post-COVID-19 today. 3.2 miles, but ran at 7.30 pace, which for me is rapid. It also felt great.

Bit of a race against time now to be half marathon ready (22nd of May), but I’ll do an easier run of the same distance tomorrow, then a long one this week to test my legs out.

• 2 weeks later...

Planned on an 8 miler today, but felt like shit about 1/3 of the way through do changes by route for 6 miles. Think it was a mix of not eating enough carbs the day before, late breakfast and a poor warm up/mindset. Will try for a long run next week and see if that works out more successfully.

• Halal 1

Planning on 11 (ish) miles tomorrow, then a walk on the beach and maybe a little swim with my wife and daughter. Probably the second to last long run before the half, so here’s hoping I don’t die halfway again. I’ve eaten a load of carbs tonight, will force a few more in, then I probably won’t eat before running tomorrow (but I’ll have a coffee and a few pints of water in lieu).

Update: did it, ended up literally 50m shy of 12 miles. Ran it very slow, but it wasn’t horrendous. Then enjoyed a nice hour at the beach 😊 

I'm back on everything again, and at my age, it's dangerous to be overweight/obese. Already dropped about 15 pounds in the past month or so. 

For food:

• Oats Overnight

• Huel Black @Commissar SFLUFAN

• MUD/WTR (coffee replacement)

• For milk I use Fair Life, which tastes amazing, and has a ridiculous amount of protein for milk

• Frog Fuel for protein boosts

Then I make something low carb for dinner

I've also signed up for Lumen. It's actually been really great, because while I do limit what I eat, it's not a diet. It tells me what my macros should be every day, and I have to figure out how to get there. 

I'm tempted to get an Oura, but I don't know how much better it will be than the metrics on my Galaxy Watch. 

For working out, I'm full on Peloton. I've had the bike for a few years and love it. I just recently got their camera, Peloton Guide, that allows you to see yourself while working out. It's not a game changer or anything, but since I paid for it, that's motivation enough to use it. 

For the weights I use Poweblocks. Very highly recommend. 

I'm around 220 now, and the goal is to get as close to 170 as possible by October. 

• Halal 1

• 2 weeks later...

Completed the half marathon. All was well until mile 9 when my calves and hips just gave out, along with it being stupidly hot. Cue walking up hills but running the downward slopes and flat. 

I’ll do another one, but in the autumn or winter and see if that’s any better! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

First run since the above, 5.5km and it felt glorious, along with 20 minutes of yoga. Setting a few new personal goals but one aim is to run a 10k under 48 minutes, along with a few, generic strength goals (50 push ups, 10 pull ups, 3 minute plank) to get to before I start proper S&C training in July.

I forgot just how much fun riding a bike is. I’ve finally been able to get one from a friend and the past couple days I’ve got out and rode around town. I’d visit the river but I’d be dreading the trip back due to the massive hills surrounding it downtown. 

now just need to seal the deal with the wife to sell our second car. I may have to buy her a bike first though…

• 2 weeks later...

Couple of miles running in the ‘little bit too hot, but not to the point of dying’ sun. Also did a few hill sprints after the first mile to really make it horrible. Hoping tomorrow to do a short jog for a warm up, then 25 minutes of body weight work, then collect daughter and home. Hopefully!

Had a bit of an epiphany about my training this summer. I think I’ve accepted the fact that beasting myself to a stupid degree is something I’m past. I’m going to target preservation of the key areas that I'm injury prone (calves and hips by building up my flexor and flutes), then add in core and some chest/shoulders/back work for balance. Continue with yoga as well, as and when I can.

Then, as I love running, carry that on, but ensure at least one session is vaguely aerobic.

Also, nearly sorted a road bike so I’m going to use that instead of running (some days) soon and add more swimming. It’s only 4 weeks till the holidays when I can build this into a routine.

#blog

Edit: the irony that my sore calf is definitely a tear and will take a few weeks to recover. I’ve even had to take the bus to the bus rather than my lovely 1 3/4 mile walk in the mornings. Need to work out what I can do to keep up on…something.

53 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

Looking to pick up an incline bench for home. Any recommendations? Is just grabbing one from Dick’s fine? Or is there a definite difference in quality among them?

You need to look at the total weight spec and how many different degrees of angle you need. If you are just doing run of the mill dumbbell/body exercises and assuming your weight is 200 or less , you want something rated for 500 to 600 pounds. 

I would start off with something like this

https://www.amazon.com/Multi-Purpose-Adjustable-Utility-Bench/dp/B07KK5RFM8/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1YIZ4PZFJ92JB&keywords=cap%2Bweight%2Bbench&qid=1656862212&s=sporting-goods&sprefix=cap%2B%2Csporting%2C77&sr=1-5&th=1

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, SimpleG said:

You need to look at the total weight spec and how many different degrees of angle you need. If you are just doing run of the mill dumbbell/body exercises and assuming your weight is 200 or less , you want something rated for 500 to 600 pounds. 

I would start off with something like this

https://www.amazon.com/Multi-Purpose-Adjustable-Utility-Bench/dp/B07KK5RFM8/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1YIZ4PZFJ92JB&keywords=cap%2Bweight%2Bbench&qid=1656862212&s=sporting-goods&sprefix=cap%2B%2Csporting%2C77&sr=1-5&th=1

Sweet thanks man! Yeah just looking to incorporate so basic dumbbell stuff into my routine to mix it up. 195 trying to get back to 185. The eternal back and forth haha

I’ve massively downsized since I was formerly active here, I’m not a fan of how I look but I feel incredibly better down 30 pounds. Lockdown forced me to re-examine my priorities out of necessity, no gym kind of forced my hand.

I’ve come to terms with it.

4 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

What’s this groups thoughts on Pre-Workouts and Creatine?

Pre-workout worries me in relation   to cardiovascular health. With that said it absolutely will amp you up.

Creatine I’m not a huge believer in when considered in relation to mass or strength gains. It will promote water retention and potentially enhance atp utilization but otherwise I’ve not seen much. But then again, the likelihood of harm I’d say is pretty minimal.

• Thanks 1

I've been putting myself back together after a few disastrous years of physical self neglect. I had hit a staggering 289lbs. I am now down to 259 and running & lifting 5 days a week so I hope to have myself back to my historically fit target weight of 210 by Christmas. Hard going, but I can already feel the benefits! I will say that it was embarrassing to see full cobwebs on my free weight bench when I returned to it 6 weeks ago! But such is life, so I muttered a "hello old friend..." and set to it! :lol:

• Like 1
  • Halal 2