Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
SlipperySlope

Fitness & Nutrition

Recommended Posts

My body is in so much pain. I haven't gone to the gym in 5 days. Fucking corona. I was looking into gym equipment but it will cost me like $3-4k to get a proper setup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going down the running/bodyweight workouts at the moment. It's good but it'll never compare to actual circuit training in a nice park, where I can run and do circuits for an hour without the feeling it's a risk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My gym closed over two weeks ago.    I'm doing Shaun T workouts, and body weight stuff.  Sucks because I had pretty much stopped doing cardio and was just focusing on lifting and eating properly.

 

I had just deadlifted 485(a PR) before all this.  Probably can't do it now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did a home workout outside on my patio and it was actually very pleasant. Not the actual exercise which was pretty horrific but I’m glad the weather has improved 

 

I’ve also decided that a I’m going to be a dad I’m about five months I want to start it off in the best possible way. So my summer aims are to be able to run a half marathon relatively comfortably, drop two inches from my waist and four from my chest and try and improve my muscular endurance and overall appearance and definition 

 

I don’t want to end up having a summer being shut in and end it being a fat dad

 

UPDATE: Today went for a run, though I have no headphones at the moment so it was a bit boring. I also had the age old curse (well, for me) of not going to the bathroom before the run and it ruining the last half mile or so. 

 

I'm going to complete my 'easier' route and then finish off with some circuit training. 

 

I do have to say though, being at home all the time has meant that I bake/make more food, which is both lovely, but not exactly in-keeping with my goal so I'll switch over to making healthy snacks/meals and freezing them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Went for a run on a route that mapmyrun said was two miles but used Strava to keep pace 

 

Turns out its 3.4 miles which is nice and makes me look forward to checking what I think is a longer route that I run a lot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've decided that the pre, pre-season fitness group that I run for my rugby club is starting today. So I came up with a 36 minute session to get that horrible blend of anaerobic fitness, aerobic recovery time and some little bits of strength thrown in. 

  1. 10 minutes continuous jog 
  2. 45-15's (work for 45s, rest for 15s - Push Ups, Plank, Squats, Mountain Climbers, Alternate Lunges)
  3. 2020's (20s 3/4 pace running, 20s rest x10)
  4. 45-15's (Burpees, High Knees, Close Arm Push Ups, Straight Leg Crunches, Plank)
  5. Pyramid (10m sprint and jog back to start, 20m sprint and jog back to start, up to 50m and back again)
  6. 4 minutes slow jog as recovery

The next session on Wednesday will be a 5km run, but with each km split into different forms of aerobic exercise, but I need to plan that out properly first. 

 

I did the session, here's a review because why not. 

 

1. Easy, I like running and this was a small one of those. 

2. Easy, except for the Mountain Climbers which started to burn after about 30 seconds. 

3. After about 5 these started to become horrendous, by the final two I sounded like I was dying, but my legs felt alright. 

4. Easy, though I dropped my piece of paper with my exercises so I forgot about High Knees and substituted them with shoulder-tap press ups instead. 

5. I thought I'd use the lamp posts in the park to measure my sets, which after two very confident sprints I realised were about 30m apart (not 10m). The 150m sprint was not fun, nor were the other 120m, 90m, 60m or 30m ones that came after it, still finished and I ran better than I thought I would. 

6. This was a slow walk followed by a 4 minute very slow jog. 

 

I'm now home icing my legs and lying on the floor.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I gave up. I ordered stuff to build my own gym in my garage, it's expensive but... now I have zero excuses.

 

Rogue Monster Light Squat Rack SML-2

Eleiko XF Bumpers (4x45, 2x35, 2x25, 5x10)

Rogue Iron Plates (4x2.5 2x10)

TRX Home

Rogue Ohio Bar Cerakote

Rogue Technique Bar 15-lb

REP 4 fold mat

Rogue Kettlebell (9lb, 13lb, 18lb, 53lb)

 

Now I'm looking at a Bench, I like this one.

I've been doing this non-stop for 2 weeks now, reading these forums for availability updates. Basically ignoring my work! haha

 

For next month's budget; I'm going to get some mats for deadlifts, I want something portable like this.

 

Lastly I'll need dumbbells, for this I'm waiting for York to come back. I want these numbers: 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 35, 45, 55, 65, 75, 80, 85, 90, 95, 100 

 

I also want 2 bars for farmers walks.

 

I'm also going to pickup a mirror for form checks (and handsome checks.)

 

THIS IS WHY I HAVEN'T BEEN POSTING AS MUCH LOL.  Now everything is going to open up too haha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did this: 

 

1. 5 minute jog

2. Interval training - Slow jog for 1 minute then run for 1 minute at a pace that pushes past your regular jog, but not a sprint. Repeat 10 times

3. 5 minute jog (ended up being more of a walk for 3 minutes, jog for 2 minutes)

4. Increasing incremental runs - jog for 10s, 3/4 pace for 10s, jog for 15s, 3/4 pace for 15s, carry on up to one minute.

5. 5 minute jog (or walk...you know, it's all fine)

6. Tabata run - 20s sprint, 10s walk. Repeat 6 times. 

7. 10 minute job (5 minute walk, 5 minute jog)

 

I won't lie, this was not an easy session. Based on my phone, I covered about 6 miles, with a lot of it being at an uncomfortable pace (or suffering/recovering). I need to amend the Tabata rest time to be longer, or complete it sooner and realistically, I could bin off part 4 and put more effort into the jogs. Part 2 though was a good workout and an ideal warm up to go into some strength work as I was tired, but not ruined. 

 

Next session will be more strength based anyway so it's not like I'm missing out on anything. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/23/2020 at 9:18 AM, SlipperySlope said:

I gave up. I ordered stuff to build my own gym in my garage, it's expensive but... now I have zero excuses.

 

Rogue Monster Light Squat Rack SML-2

Eleiko XF Bumpers (4x45, 2x35, 2x25, 5x10)

Rogue Iron Plates (4x2.5 2x10)

TRX Home

Rogue Ohio Bar Cerakote

Rogue Technique Bar 15-lb

REP 4 fold mat

Rogue Kettlebell (9lb, 13lb, 18lb, 53lb)

 

Now I'm looking at a Bench, I like this one.

I've been doing this non-stop for 2 weeks now, reading these forums for availability updates. Basically ignoring my work! haha

 

For next month's budget; I'm going to get some mats for deadlifts, I want something portable like this.

 

Lastly I'll need dumbbells, for this I'm waiting for York to come back. I want these numbers: 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 35, 45, 55, 65, 75, 80, 85, 90, 95, 100 

 

I also want 2 bars for farmers walks.

 

I'm also going to pickup a mirror for form checks (and handsome checks.)

 

THIS IS WHY I HAVEN'T BEEN POSTING AS MUCH LOL.  Now everything is going to open up too haha.


 

im trying to build a home gym and can’t afford all rogue every thing but every thing I look up is either sold out or like double the price it normally is. If I can get a titan rack I think I’ll go with one of those if can find one in stock.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Dodger said:


 

im trying to build a home gym and can’t afford all rogue every thing but every thing I look up is either sold out or like double the price it normally is. If I can get a titan rack I think I’ll go with one of those if can find one in stock.

You need to sign up for email alerts, Rogue restocks different equipment daily but it sells out within 2 minutes, so you need to have an account and your payment info loaded. It took me a week to order everything and F5 is basically what I did from 6am to 5pm. You also need to know exactly what you want or it goes out of stock. Reddit homegym has a thread of ppl posting in stock notifications. 

 

Shipping is brutal too btw. I bought $620 worth of plates but shipping was $280

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone ever heard of TheGrindFitness? They popped up on my instagram and seem to have good reviews and have a rack and flat bench available. They are a little more than I want to spend, but I might be waiting awhile if I'm going to stick to wanting a good deal, and my fatass needs to lose weight now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Dodger said:

Anyone ever heard of TheGrindFitness? They popped up on my instagram and seem to have good reviews and have a rack and flat bench available. They are a little more than I want to spend, but I might be waiting awhile if I'm going to stick to wanting a good deal, and my fatass needs to lose weight now. 

I have been lifting from home for 5+ years now. I have a barebones ass setup. You can spend a ton of money on bunch of stuff but honestly if you dont lift already I would suggest a gym first and get someone to teach you. Also lifting weights isnt going to help you drop weight, you need cardio of some type like jogging,hiit,biking or swimming. Cut first then lift or lift now and cut later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SimpleG said:

I have been lifting from home for 5+ years now. I have a barebones ass setup. You can spend a ton of money on bunch of stuff but honestly if you dont lift already I would suggest a gym first and get someone to teach you. Also lifting weights isnt going to help you drop weight, you need cardio of some type like jogging,hiit,biking or swimming. Cut first then lift or lift now and cut later.

Lifting weights can transform your body tho in a way cardio won't. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, SlipperySlope said:

Lifting weights can transform your body tho in a way cardio won't. 

Right it’s going to cause you to get bigger, no one makes any reasonable gains when lifting on a deficit. Which means more weight that he will want to lose.

 

Dieting is also hard and trying to do that while lifting puts you in a spot to fail at both.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you want to add lifting to your cardio regime that’s fine but if you looking to drop weight it’s 

Diet

Cardio

Weight training 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Forgive the weird distances (it's based on a rugby pitch), but this is my session tomorrow morning. Afterwards hopefully going to the beach to walk the dog and do some sea swimming. 

 

Warm Up:
5 minute continuous jog
Pyramid (only jogging, but with an increase of pace pushing off the line)

Circuit 1 (40s work, 20s rest)
  • Tap press ups (press up position, tap right shoulder with left hand, then left shoulder etc, then press up)
  • Side-step squats (big stride one way, squat and then back the other way)
  • Diamond Press ups (make a diamond with your hand, smash out a press up)
  • Wide grip press up (arms as wide as you can hold, half down, hold for a count of 5 and then back up)
  • Jump-burpees (standing jump forward, complete a burpee, complete a reverse standing jump, complete a burpee)
 
Conditioning 1: (40s work, 20s rest)
Malcolms (start on the half way line, down to a quick press up and up (down-up), then backwards to the 10m line, down-up, sprint to the far 10m, down-up and then backwards to the half way line). Repeat 4 times total.
 
Circuit 2:
As before, but 30s work, 30s rest
 
Conditioning 2:
Boxes (the main rationale is your jog along the length and sprint along the width - start in a corner and jog along to the 22m line, turn and sprint across to the far line then return back to jogging until you reach the corner and sprint again - so you should only sprint about 100m total, per part, but the length of the jog will increase)
 
Finish with a 10 minute jog to ease down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a good run today.   I wonder if I can get under 7 minute miles by the end of the year.  Being old suck. 

Once the gyms have been open a few months and people are not infecting the shit out of each other I might go back so I can do something other than run and plank / push ups / sit ups. 

 

jrjBuHH.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Ominous said:

Had a good run today.   I wonder if I can get under 7 minute miles by the end of the year.  Being old suck. 

Once the gyms have been open a few months and people are not infecting the shit out of each other I might go back so I can do something other than run and plank / push ups / sit ups. 

 

jrjBuHH.jpg

Nice work man. I don't think I could get under 7 to save my life. :p 

 

What app are you using to track this stuff? I recently bought a Suunto 7 and have been looking at my options (Suunto's app, Strava, etc.), 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Nokra said:

Nice work man. I don't think I could get under 7 to save my life. :p 

 

What app are you using to track this stuff? I recently bought a Suunto 7 and have been looking at my options (Suunto's app, Strava, etc.), 

I have a Garmin Forerunner 945 which has it's own app which then I sync to strava. I was using a galaxy watch before, but the battery life of the Garmin is much better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After a week of working nights, I now have two days off (before I get back to 'em) which means I can actually exercise. I say that, with my part-time job, I end up walking about 20,000 steps a day (about 6 and a half miles) and I would estimate that I spend about an hour lifting crates that weigh between 10 and 30kg, so it's not as though I'm not active. 

 

That said, I'm looking forward to the following tomorrow morning: 

 

10 minute run as a warm up
Complete 10x50m shuttles 10 press ups at one end of the shuttle, 10 burpees at another. Aim for a push off at the start easing down into a normal jog.
Using some 80cm high steps, standing-jump up the 3 tiers a total of 10 times. 
Using a set of the stairs, run up and down for 3 minutes continuously (90s rest), 2 minutes (1 minute rest) and 1 minute (90s rest)
Using a ramp, sprint up the incline, slow and then walk back down the bottom (as the rest). Repeat 10 times. 

 

I'll then go through a power circuit of: 

 

Press Ups

Crunches

45 degree lunges

Triceps dips

Walk Outs

 

Each exercise, 10 reps, no rest and repeat 5 times total. 

 

Then a quick run through of: 

 

20 punches
10 thigh taps (hold a press-up position and touch your hand to the opposite thigh, under your body)
10 shoulder taps
20 overheard punches
10 close-grip press ups

 

Repeat three times. Then I'll run the 10 minutes home. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...