Fitness & Nutrition

SuperSpreader

Went to the gym on Monday and had a nice session, nothing too strenuous but after a year of not picking up weights, experiencing the fun of DOMS.  Did a hill sprint session today, probably about 150m per sprint, 30% incline and repeated 5 times.  By the 4th this was my body vs my head: 

OrganicElasticEagle-size_restricted.gif

Still fun though. 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Planning on running around 3/4 of the main 'walking circuit' around the city I live in.  It should be about 6 miles or so.  Also, with returning back to the gym and re-introducing weight training, I'm looking at adjusting my eating.  Being a vegetarian however does paint a very, very boring picture of what I'll be eating on a daily basis.  At least I'll look glorious by the time I'm 30.

I ended up snoozing my alarm this morning, so I'm posting now roughly when I expected to be getting home.  No matter, I'll be heading out in 25 minutes after some foam rolling and I've forced a coffee for all the 'benefits' that will bring pre-run. 

Update: posting from a public toilet.  Just spent the last 10 minutes trying to not shit myself and so had to walk.  Which means extras at the end to make up for it. Only downside of a long run.

Update 2: I checked, 8 1/2 miles in total with about 1 1/2 miles on incline.  I just need to find out what's wrong with my left hip which causes it to tighten up and then I could see a half marathon on the cards next year. 

• 1 month later...

Lettuce spend a minute and talk about gains. Now Ive spent a good portion of this winter trying to get back the fire inside that expired at 30. I feel like im making some decent progress. Didn't see a body building thread so I figure we can start one here. What kind of routines is everyone on? Diet? Im taking zero supplements right now - just hitting the iron and eating chicken and eggs like a fucking predator. 

IMG-4637.jpg 

3 hours ago, SmugPrick said:

Lettuce spend a minute and talk about gains. Now Ive spent a good portion of this winter trying to get back the fire inside that expired at 30. I feel like im making some decent progress. Didn't see a body building thread so I figure we can start one here. What kind of routines is everyone on? Diet? Im taking zero supplements right now - just hitting the iron and eating chicken and eggs like a fucking predator. 

I go on/off supplements depending on... The phases of the moon? Sometime I'll be strict about it for months, then I won't give a fuck for months.

For me it's a routine of squatting, dumbbells, pulls.

On 12/10/2018 at 6:12 PM, SmugPrick said:

IMG-4637.jpg 

look at those biceps, look at those triceps! Those Delts!!!!  THE INCREDIBLE BULK BABY!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Had a few weeks of being solely in the gym due to the weather and it's been fun.  Tomorrow the plan is a 2 or so mile run, then some sprints on the treadmill before work (cycling in).  With my stag party in May, I'm aiming to be in decent (muscular) shape for it, so I've been taking the gym a bit more seriously, which has also been fun.  

I need to start taking some measurements soon just to get a handle on where I am. 

I also really need to start taking a longer cycle route to work and add into my workout, so I'll work that out soon. 

• 3 weeks later...

The gym's been continuing on and it's been fun.  Today though, rather than a longer interval run (usually 20 minutes where the incline will vary) I went with a very short, sharp finisher.  Namely, spin bike, 20 seconds maximal work, 40s rest (5 sets).  I sweated a ridiculous amount and had that horrific lactic acid/I feel sick feeling.  

I do however feel that that, mixed in with a full body weight session will set me up well to do fuck all for the rest of my day. I say that, I may be going back later on today with my partner for some cardio work so I was thinking 250m row sets x 5 and then just some hill walking to finish me off.

• 3 months later...

Any of you guys have a home gym of some sort? I got a spare bedroom that I would like to convert into a spare gym. I was looking to start small, and just get an adjustable bench and some dumbbells, and I figure if I actually use that I can get crazy and get a squat rack and other stuff. Anyway just looking for ideas to get started. I'm trying to find some adjustable weight dumbbells to save space and I see Powerblock Dumbbells which look perfect, but they are kind of expensive. 

Saw a picture of myself in the pool last summer and was...displeased haha. I’ve always been a thin guy and i was still relatively thin in the grand scheme of things. Just my gut had started to grow, back looked really soft and my face puffed out a bunch. Only 36 is just felt generally tired all the time. No stamina to speak off. Just felt gross all over. 6’2” and was up to around 205. Like I said, I know that’s not crazy big or anything. 

I work nights and am home all day with my 5 year old so we don’t have to use daycare so the gym hasn’t been much of a consistent option over the years. Decided to give the Beach Body stuff a try. 

Started out with T25 and made it all the way through with 2 rounds of Gamma before I got bored. Lemme tell you when I started, my first work out, I got 5 minutes in and had to stop lol. Altered my diet a little. Cut out all snacks after 10pm(working nights made this really tough). Cut down on the crap I was eating for lunches and tried to eat more fruits and stuff instead of chips. Lost about 20lbs in 4 months. 

Next I switched over to Lift4 because I wasn’t seeing much in the way of strength gains from T25. Plus I was bored of it. LOVED Lift4. Went through 2 cycles of that and gained a few pounds of muscle back and finally started to see some definition. 

Now I’m currently doing some hybrid calendars through the summer to try and work some more heavy cardio and body weight training back in. 

Ill never be able to adjust my diet enough to get an “after photo” body but I’m in so much better shape and I’m actually not embarrassed to hit the beach this summer. 

The Beach Body stuff has been amazing for me to fit into my time constraints and really helped me change my lifestyle. But I’m not sure I’ll ever see the gains I’d eventually like from their programs. My son starts full day school in the fall so might join a kettlebell place. They seem more fun and interesting than regular gym work. 

Currently not taking any supliments. I’ve steered away from the Beach Body line because it seems a bit shady. Any advice on that front? Would taking protein and creatine help at all or just I just stay the course?

sorry for the long post, it’s just been a kind of solo journey so far and it was nice to type that all out to share. 

Supplements I've found are good if you're coming out of workouts either absolutely shattered, mainly they're great to save having to eat the same kind of foods fairly endlessly. Do some research, buy some if they seem like they're help, try it for a month and see. 

I've been terrible in regards to weight training for the past month, it seems that having time off and then coming back just ruined the routine (the same excuse for everyone that doesn't take things seriously enough, I know) - but I've been running still and I'm always walking everywhere which does help. Either way, the challenge of the week is: 

Run 15 miles

Walk 25 miles

Weight train/circuit train twice

This goes on top of the current system of 15 good meals = one cheat meal, which I know is a poor reward system, but it makes the world a happier place. 

• 1 month later...

Fucked my foot a few weeks ago which has been a pain (figuratively and literally) so rather than jogging/sprints, I've been using the bikes at the gym. Works perfectly well, just incredibly boring. Also now we're into the summer holidays, return back to weight training which has been good after a few months off. 

I've come to accept that due to my wrist, I'll never be able to lift anything exceptionally high (though pressing is fine) so deadlifts, rows etc are limited, but that's OK - I suppose. 

11 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

So whose got tips for shedding/slimming belly fat?

Nobody, unfortunately.  Targeted fat loss or "spot reduction" is a myth.  Work toward reducing your overall body fat and your genetics will decide when it wants to use the cells from your belly.  That's it.  May be first, may be last.  But there isn't really anything you can do to intentionally reduce the fat in a specific part of your body.

2 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

So whose got tips for shedding/slimming belly fat? Everything else is building and shaping nicely but unsurprisingly I just can’t get my stomach over that last hurdle. Not even aiming for a 6 pack, just want it to be flat again lol

Interval training, keep eating well, be stupidly patient...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've started my teacher training and with the commute and workload, I wasn't able to fit in the gym (I tried in the morning but the earliest I can wake up is 5am it seems and I had enough time to get up, get my clothes ready, cook food for the day, shower and get to the bus station) and after, depending on how late I stay I still have a high workload). 

So I've paid for a workout programme at home, so there's bodyweight workouts that you exercise along with, a really robust food plan and it works in 25 minute HIIT bursts. 

I'll see how it goes, but I just like the idea of someone else guiding my eating and workouts (though naturally, will always have extra with rugby, walking, dog walking, running) but the fact I'm 30 in 2 months has made me want to enter that part of my life (and career) as a role model for people that I'm with. 

I'll see how it goes.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Not that I'm being a complete cliche, but after being terrible at exercising (outside of walking, the occasional jog etc) I'm back on the home workout band wagon. Today was 30 seconds work, 30 seconds rest of: squats with a punch combo, climb down press ups, high knees on the spot, shoulder taps and reverse lunges - completing 5 cycles. 

Felt good and somewhat easy which is a good sign, but I want to actually complete the challenge that it sets (namely 30 days of 5-7 workouts a week) so I can progress onto the second cycle. The plan is to wake up early (4:30) to have the exercises completed by 5:15 ish, then I can get showered, cook and walk to work for about 6:30. I'm also hoping this will help me get into a routine of being asleep by 9pm.