Girl defeats rival team, secret investigation begins to see if she's transgender after loser parents accuse champion

55 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

The parents and student weren't informed about the investigation. How would the student be permanently traumatized?

You would have figured they found out about it eventually now that there's a news article about it.

23 minutes ago, ThreePi said:

You would have figured they found out about it eventually now that there's a news article about it.

The article has zero identifying information about the student

The parents should know because they would either have to consent to the release of their child’s PII or be notified of the release of the records due to a lawful order

per the DOE:

Do parents and eligible students have to provide consent before a school discloses personally identifiable information from education records?
Generally, yes. A parent or eligible student must provide written consent before a school or school district discloses personally identifiable information from the student’s education records, unless one of the exceptions to FERPA’s general consent rule applies. (See Q&A 8.) FERPA requires that a consent form be signed and dated by the parent or eligible student and (1) specify the records that may be disclosed; (2) state the purpose of the disclosure; and (3) identify the party or class of parties to whom the disclosure may be made. 34 CFR § 99.30(b).

What are the exceptions to FERPA’s consent requirement that would permit a school to disclose personally identifiable information from a student’s education records to an outside party in connection with a disaster?

Judicial Order or Lawfully Issued Subpoena
Another provision in FERPA that permits disclosure without consent is a disclosure that is necessary to comply with a lawfully issued subpoena or judicial order. A school generally must make a reasonable effort to notify the parent or eligible student of the subpoena or judicial order before complying with it in order to allow the parent or eligible student to seek protective action, unless certain exceptions apply. 34 CFR § 99.31(a)(9). This exception could be used when an emergency no longer exists or the party seeking personally identifiable information from students’ education records would not typically be considered an “appropriate party” under the health or safety emergency exception to general consent.

Failure to notify parents may be a violation of the child’s civil rights and would risk a federal lawsuit! FERPA is very serious business

and in combination with identifiable information needed to check the records for a specific individual makes gender PII

• Halal 2

21 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

The parents should know because they would either have to consent to the release of their child’s PII or be notified of the release of the records due to a lawful order

per the DOE:

Failure to notify parents may be a violation of the child’s civil rights and would risk a federal lawsuit! FERPA is very serious business

and in combination with identifiable information needed to check the records for a specific individual makes gender PII

FERPA gets violated more than Donald Trump’s toilet :p 

3 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

It's weird how children's sports have become the primary battleground for trans rights/discrimination. I bet the same people pushing this stuff would also demand separate leagues for white kids and black kids, claiming that black kids have an unfair advantage.

It is very simple: it is easy for people to conceptualize how a biological male can have an advantage over biological females in athletics, even if the scenario is terrifically uncommon. It is the sort of thing that pro-trans rights people don’t have a compelling answer to those who don’t have a strong pro/anti feeling.

It is the same reason people bring up sex predators using the bathroom “loophole” as a reason to bar trans-women from female restrooms. It doesn’t really matter whether or not it is an issue, people can conceptualize it as a problem and then react because of it.

40 minutes ago, Amazatron said:

Of course they blow this issue out of proportion, but do we agree or disagree that males (sex, not gender) have a physical advantage in sports? 

Usually, but so do some women.

FOUYXiXXwA4AtIA?format=jpg&name=large

Some women are going to have huge advantages over other women and smoke them; if you're a short woman, you're going to have a hard time becoming a competitive swimmer and beating Ledecky. Same with some men versus other men. Being taller in basketball or as a wide receiver in football is going to put you at a bigger advantage even though you did nothing to get to that height.

Michael Phelps is a great example:

"Michael Phelps won 28 Olympic medals, the most of any Olympic athlete in any sport ever. How? Willpower, training and a distinct genetic advantage. Phelps’s wingspan is three inches longer than his height, giving him propulsion way beyond the norm. Combined with an abnormally long upper body, short lower body, and size 14 feet, he was built for speed in the pool.

And there’s more: for no particular reason, Phelps’ body produces half the lactic acid of an average swimmer, vastly improving his resistance to fatigue and hastening recovery time between swims."

Maybe the whole concept of gender-based sports is becoming outdated whereas a size-class might make more sense, at least for something like swimming.

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

It is very simple: it is easy for people to conceptualize how a biological male can have an advantage over biological females in athletics, even if the scenario is terrifically uncommon. It is the sort of thing that pro-trans rights people don’t have a compelling answer to those who don’t have a strong pro/anti feeling.

It is the same reason people bring up sex predators using the bathroom “loophole” as a reason to bar trans-women from female restrooms. It doesn’t really matter whether or not it is an issue, people can conceptualize it as a problem and then react because of it.

The answer is: it’s a game for children, get over it

• Halal 1

Katie Ledecky would get smoked by every male in a Olympic race.

Ledecky is the GOAT at women's 800m, her world record is 8 min, 8 seconds. The last place finisher in the men's final was 7 min, 53 seconds.

Every single event for basic physical sports measured by something tangible (time, distance, etc.) like track and field, swimming for simplistic sake, the differences are substantial between sexes and there isn't a single case where females outperform. This is collective, and happens at every competitive level high school through Olympics.

5 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Maybe the whole concept of gender-based sports is becoming outdated whereas a size-class might make more sense, at least for something like swimming.

I don't think size nearly accounts for the difference between the genders. Ledecky set the world record in 2016 for the 400m freestyle. Wikipedia puts her at 6ft and 160lbs. Quickly clicking through competitors and it seems the top men are are listed by wikipedia as being a big bigger, but there are a bunch of guys that placed from 8th to 41st that wikipedia lists as being within a couple pounds and a couple inches that would have broken Ledecky's record. Even at the same size-class, in most competitive sports, men dramatically outperform women. That's far from a scientific study, but I would guess that the overall point would stand even given much more data.

3 minutes ago, Amazatron said:

Katie Ledecky would get smoked by every male in a Olympic race.

Every single event for basic physical sports measured by something tangible (time, distance, etc.) like track and field, swimming for simplistic sake, the differences are substantial between sexes and there isn't a single case where females outperform. This is collective, and happens at every competitive level high school through Olympics.

The bell curves for these things, in general, across the sexes are much closer than people assume. Looking at the Olympics / professional sports to determine if there is meaningful sexual dimorphism is a fundamentally flawed approach.

Just now, Kal-El814 said:

The bell curves for these things, in general, across the sexes are much closer than people assume. Looking at the Olympics / professional sports to determine if there is meaningful sexual dimorphism is a fundamentally flawed approach.

OK, do high school level, it will be the same result.

11 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I don't think size nearly accounts for the difference between the genders. Ledecky set the world record in 2016 for the 400m freestyle. Wikipedia puts her at 6ft and 160lbs. Quickly clicking through competitors and it seems the top men are are listed by wikipedia as being a big bigger, but there are a bunch of guys that placed from 8th to 41st that wikipedia lists as being within a couple pounds and a couple inches that would have broken Ledecky's record. Even at the same size-class, in most competitive sports, men dramatically outperform women. That's far from a scientific study, but I would guess that the overall point would stand even given much more data.

This really misses the point so spectacularly.

Not many men have Michael Phelps' genes or size 14 feet. Not many men have his lactic acid advantage! Not many women have Ledecky's proportions, and most women are not 6' or close to it. Most women won't come close to Ledecky, but we're comfortable allowing smaller women try to overtake her even though they have little shot.

If you grow up to be 5'9", you are going to have a hard time competing against professional swimmers, basketball players, football players, volleyball, etc. Take a guess between the 7' Big Show and 5'8" Daniel Bryan as to who had to work far much longer and harder to get any kind of main event push by the WWE writing team.

At the end of the day, those stats you've brought up are meaningless. If we accept that people like Phelps and Ledecky can compete even though they have natural gifts that others don't, and accept that that's an "even playing field" based on gender alone, then we should probably accept that some people are going to have an easier time winning at sports through sheer luck of genetics despite being the same gender and that it's not actually an even playing field.

6 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

What is your point?

That biological males have naturally bigger lungs, hearts, higher red blood cell count, and wider, thicker hips and more dense musculature if they have gone through puberty. That trans women should be welcome in rec sports, but competitive womens sport should be the sole purview of biological females.

Every year, hundreds of High Scool boys runners beat the womens 100m world record.

Just now, Amazatron said:

You say there's a flaw in the argument, yet offer no evidence to the contrary.

I don’t know anyone that would deny that sexual dimorphism in humans exists; I certainly do not. That said the differences are not as pronounced as people assume and that leads to the stupidity like the content listed in the OP in this thread.

Just now, BloodyHell said:

That biological males have naturally bigger lungs, hearts, higher red blood cell count, and wider, thicker hips and more dense musculature if they have gone through puberty. That trans women should be welcome in rec sports, but competitive womens sport should be the sole purview of biological females. 

Shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuup.

• Halal 1

2 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I don’t know anyone that would deny that sexual dimorphism in humans exists; I certainly do not. That said the differences are not as pronounced as people assume and that leads to the stupidity like the content listed in the OP in this thread.

What is pronounced for you?

https://runninglevel.com/running-times/1-mile-times

I'd say 10-20% is significant.

5 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuup.

I mean, facts are facts man. Serena Williams was beaten 6-luv by a guy ranked 203rd who smoked cigarettes while he played. Nobody is arguing against the dignity of trans people (obviously there are definitely monsters doing that,  but they would do it about anything), just for people to recognize facts about human anatomy when it comes to competitive sports.

🎵 fondling children 🎵

8 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I honestly admit that I have absolutely no idea what the solution to this situation (if one actually exists) is other than to completely eliminate competitive sports.

The solution is that your timidity is built in as much as their violence is practiced. Pick a side or stay off the field.

22 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

I mean, facts are facts man. Serena Williams was beaten 6-luv by a guy ranked 203rd who smoked cigarettes while he played. Nobody is arguing against the dignity of trans people (here, obviouslythere are definitely monsters doing that), just for people to recognize facts about human anatomy when it comes to competitive sports.

Comparing someone who is in the top percent of a percent of a percent of male tennis players who have ever walked the earth to Serena Williams proves absolutely nothing. Again, sexual dimorphism exists, and Serena Williams would rinse 99%+ of men, and today’s men would cream peak male players from the not too distant past. Looking at outliers is pointless.

22 minutes ago, Amazatron said:

What is pronounced for you?

https://runninglevel.com/running-times/1-mile-times

I'd say 10-20% is significant.

Again, feel free to get to a point at any time.

We’re just now getting to the point where some people accept that gender is a social construct. People need to acknowledge that sex is ALSO a social construct. And before anyone’s anus prolapses, I don not mean that biology is not relevant. I merely mean that “sex” is a term made up by people to categorize natural phenomena that has turned out to be significantly more nuanced than male and female. There are a non trivial amount of intersex people, our understanding of how what we presently understand to be sex hormones truly impact development, athletic performance, etc., is just beginning to come together.

So with that in mind it’s not that sex is a useless determinant, it IS a relevant one. But the playing field is never going to be level. My first serious girlfriend was barely 5’ tall, she was good at gymnastics and couldn’t have been a high jumper. My wife is 6’ tall, she was one of the best high jumpers in Mass growing up, but if you asked her to do a cartwheel her spine would tear out of her body and she’d fuckin die.

So what are we going to do? Genetic screening for any meaningful athletic competition? Hormone levels? Height cutoffs? Arm length? All of these approaches have flaws and you get into truly gross territory adjacent to eugenics REALLY quick when someone starts advocating for “born females only competing against born females.”

14 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I honestly admit that I have absolutely no idea what the solution to this situation is other than to completely eliminate competitive sports.

If it ends these stupid arguments, please, I’m begging you.