Wednesday | Netflix Series From Tim Burton - Out now!

I still like Tim Burton, but his quality has been all over the place since Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street in 2007. A breakdown:

-Alice in Wonderland (mediocre movie)

-Dark Shadows (even more mediocre)

-Frankenweenie (nice to see Corpse Bride stop motion again, this is good)

-Big Eyes (a straight drama from Burton? thank God, because this is legit good)

-Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (was not a fan)

-Dumbo (mediocre at best)

So, he's still got it, but he's more all over the place than he used to be.

I was a bit worried about this series from the stills that were released. I think Wednesday could be a bit drier in her delivery (Ricci will always be my Wednesday, and she’s in the series too) That trailer literally screamed Addams Family for me and I’ll be watching 

3 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I didn't say it will be bad, just that Burton has been harder to assume a project of his will be good off the bat lately. You used to be able to do that, minus the odd bad movie.

From your list I had only seen Frankenweenie. And of course a live action Dumbo would be mediocre but you can't really blame him for it. :p

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

From your list I had only seen Frankenweenie. And of course a live action Dumbo would be mediocre but you can't really blame him for it. :p

Well I definitely recommend Big Eyes, that's good. Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children is more divisive, some genuinely like it while others don't, so if it seems up your alley you may want to try that one too. The other three you can skip. What did you think of Frankenweenie?

3 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I enjoyed it. It was kind of a nice history lesson too because wasn't the movie actually a remake of one of his early films? And of course stop motion anything is always impressive to watch.

That's right - Frankenweenie was Tim Burton's last short film (at a half hour long), made in 1984, before he went on to direct his first feature film, Pee-wee's Big Adventure (then Beetlejuice, then Batman and so on). Burton was pretty passionate about returning to Frankenweenie and making it a proper feature length film, which he finally got to do when it released in 2012. That's probably why it's good, Burton was pretty into making it.

• Keyser_Soze changed the title to Wednesday | Netflix Series From Tim Burton - Out now!

Just watched the first episode with my mom. We are huge Addams Family movie fans and Ortega does a great Ricci take on Wednesday. Burton seems to be in his element and the one liners shard so far have been great from her. Lots of mysteries happening including one that was sort of briefly mentioned in Addams Family Values. So it should be interesting to see where everything leads but a strong start to hopefully a good series. Oh and that Gomez scene 

Spoiler

• Hugs 1

This was a lot of fun! I’d put this as a whole as up with the best of anything Burton has done and Ortega is killing it as johnny mentioned. Sharp writing and it stuck it’s ending. Really good stuff all around, I liked the side characters, the people playing the rest of the family, everything was good. I assume this is going to do well so hopefully we get more. It’s almost like Harry Potter but good.

I'm probably going to start watching it tonight or tomorrow. Last week I watched Inside Man instead and, uh.... Not great. It's an acting tour de force, but Jesus does the plot get stupid as hell. Definitely worth it if you're a fan of the actors, as 99% of the show is comprised of scenes of two brilliant actors playing off each other, but it ends up feeling like a waste of time by the end 

• 4 weeks later...