The Automotive Thread

SuperSpreader

My wife drives a 2003 Mercedes C230 that seems to be on its last legs so we've been shopping around and the thing she seems to like the most is the new Kia Niro EV. I'm not the biggest fan, but she seems to have her sights on it. We went and drove one over the weekend and it's fine. It's overpriced for a Kia, and I'm generally not a fan of any EV conversions (so much empty space under the hood), but overall it seems like a fine little car. The crazy thing about seeing it this weekend was the dealer's local market upcharge of $7,500. The MSRP is $45k, so that's a 16% additional charge, the entire value of the Federal tax credit. We're not planning on buying anything immediately, but does anyone have any experience with these kinds of fees? The EV version just recently became available, so I imagine it'll last until demand dies down, but I haven't the foggiest how long that lasts. One Month? Six?

4 hours ago, TwinIon said:

My wife drives a 2003 Mercedes C230 that seems to be on its last legs so we've been shopping around and the thing she seems to like the most is the new Kia Niro EV. I'm not the biggest fan, but she seems to have her sights on it. We went and drove one over the weekend and it's fine. It's overpriced for a Kia, and I'm generally not a fan of any EV conversions (so much empty space under the hood), but overall it seems like a fine little car. The crazy thing about seeing it this weekend was the dealer's local market upcharge of $7,500. The MSRP is $45k, so that's a 16% additional charge, the entire value of the Federal tax credit. We're not planning on buying anything immediately, but does anyone have any experience with these kinds of fees? The EV version just recently became available, so I imagine it'll last until demand dies down, but I haven't the foggiest how long that lasts. One Month? Six?

Why not look at the Chevy Bolt? At that price you should also consider a Tesla Model 3.

7 minutes ago, 2user1cup said:

Why not look at the Chevy Bolt? At that price you should also consider a Tesla Model 3.

We did look at the Bolt, and it just feels so much like a toy rather than a real car. In particular there is a lot of cheap feeling shiny plastic.

I completely agree about the Model 3. We looked at them as well, and for the price it's what I'd buy. I have some issues with it, in particular the lack of physical controls, but it's a purpose built EV that feels like a $45k car.

Though, you can't get the full federal tax credit with either the Bolt or the Tesla, which is a shame. In the end though, this is my wife's car, so if she wants a Niro, that's what we'll get.

On 8/28/2019 at 12:26 PM, TwinIon said:

Wow i've never heard of this vehicle.  How does the fit and finish feel of it?  I was considering getting a Stinger at one point but after reading long term reviews, the reviewers said the car started having rattling noises. When I had my Subaru STi, the thing started rattling in various places it annoyed the crap out of me (mostly the dash), but it wasn't a super expensive car like the Stinger at 50k.

On 8/29/2019 at 2:48 PM, eggydoo said:

Wow i've never heard of this vehicle.  How does the fit and finish feel of it?  I was considering getting a Stinger at one point but after reading long term reviews, the reviewers said the car started having rattling noises. When I had my Subaru STi, the thing started rattling in various places it annoyed the crap out of me (mostly the dash), but it wasn't a super expensive car like the Stinger at 50k.

Since we bought one last night, I'll soon be able to let you know how it gets on. First impressions are pretty good. With the premium package on the EV, the MSRP might be $45k, but in the end this is a Kia that starts at $25K. It meets those expectations pretty exactly. I don't expect any rattles, but I guess we'll find out after we put some miles on the thing. The Niro seems like it has a higher fit and finish than my old Civics, and at first glance seems about on par with a Prius or my friends new CRV.

Turns out that the $7500 market charge went away really fast when you just email every dealer in a decent radius and ask for a price. No one tried to quote us anything over MSRP, although a number of dealers wouldn't give out numbers over email. The exact color/package car that my wife wanted wasn't hard to find, with most dealers having one in stock, so she was able to negotiate over email for a few days before we went in to see the most receptive dealer last night.

Even though I don't suspect that it'll be very necessary, we'll probably get a Level 2 charger installed in our garage when we get back from an upcoming vacation. With the standard charger, it should get a full charge in ~28 hours. So even if she drove it to empty, an overnight charge should still get her more than 100 miles.

@TwinIon - My wife is into the third year of her lease of a 2017 Hybrid Niro.  She's loved it so far, and we'll probably either get another Hybrid (if we lease) or an EV (if we buy).  I'm not the biggest fan, but for what she's looking for (compact crossover that isn't too long), the Niro was the best value that we found after looking around.

I'm starting to look around for a new car myself - new promotion at work that entitles me to an upgrade over what I have now ('18 Acura MDX Sport Hybrid): thinking along the lines of an X5, Q7, or XC90.  Lots to love about all three, but I think I'm leaning toward the Q7 at the moment.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I was hoping to re-lease my 500e for another 2-3 years but Chrysler Capital is saying they absolutely will not do that. And I'd buy the car but my residual is $19k, while you can find ones with comparable mileage and same model year on Carfax for $9k and they won't budge on the buyout price either. :( I don't want a bigger car so I guess my options are deal with the hassle of giving back the one I have and buying a different one used, or hope that the new electric Mini isn't delayed from March 2019.

On 11/8/2019 at 12:52 PM, Jason said:

So given the going rate for these cars is $9k it occurred to me that there's just no way this thing is landing on the lot for $19k. I guess I'll ride it to the end of the lease and try to negotiate as I'm handing the keys over. 

There’s no chance that they’ll negotiate on the lease residual as unless you get a dealership to buy you out of the lease on a trade-in, the dealership doesn’t even take it, it’s given to Fiat-Chrysler and they’ll put it at a dealership auction (where dealerships can bid on it to sell). 

Give it back at the end of the lease and buy an appropriately priced one on the lot.

That new Mustang looks an awful like an SUV and not a muscle sports car. Hell, my lease was up on my 2016 Ford Escape and just took a lease on the new 2020 Escape. The new Escape has a sportier look than that Mustang design. I’ll post a pic of my new car when I get it in January, as it’s being built. Went with Sedona Orange for the colour

20 hours ago, silentbob said:

That new Mustang looks an awful like an SUV and not a muscle sports car.

That’s because it is an suv... it’s not a replacement for the sports car. Ford is using the name so it can compete. If they called it the “ionic” or “pather” or some other new name with no recognition it would be DOA like every other EV that’s not named Tesla. 
Also the GT version looks a lot sportier and does 0-60mph in 3.5 seconds.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

That’s because it is an suv... it’s not a replacement for the sports car. Ford is using the name so it can compete. If they called it the “ionic” or “pather” or some other new name with no recognition it would be DOA like every other EV that’s not named Tesla. 
Also the GT version looks a lot sportier and does 0-60mph in 3.5 seconds.

I think it should have been the Ford eEscape, and release a real E-Mustang that's a car like the BMW i8 or Porche Taycan, low volume, high price. 

6 hours ago, 2user1cup said:

I think it should have been the Ford eEscape, and release a real E-Mustang that's a car like the BMW i8 or Porche Taycan, low volume, high price. 

There’s a real electric Mustang coming, it was announced 2-3 years back and is slated to come with the next Mustang update in 2022-2023. The current gen only has a few years left, but they showed off a concept of the EV Mustang with the current gen a couple weeks ago for proof-of-concept with the engine/battery: all electric, 1000lbft torque and a manual.

• Shocked 1

3 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

There’s a real electric Mustang coming, it was announced 2-3 years back and is slated to come with the next Mustang update in 2022-2023. The current gen only has a few years left, but they showed off a concept of the EV Mustang with the current gen a couple weeks ago for proof-of-concept with the engine/battery: all electric, 1000lbft torque and a manual.

So it should just have been the eEscaoe 

4 minutes ago, 2user1cup said:

So it should just have been the eEscaoe 

An EV Escape wouldn’t have gotten any attention, just like how there’s been a fully electric Fusion for like 5 years and 99% of people didn’t even know :p 

They more-or-less had to call it Mustang and use the old Mach 1 badging for this to get attention and sell in a way that actually competes with Tesla.

This is the EV sports-car Mustang (proof-of) concept on the current S550 platform:

3-BA8-F802-60-AE-4619-A3-DD-2-A5-FF7-A58 
F784-C04-B-1629-4-E5-E-A672-044-B279-C8-

There’s also a hybrid one coming that will launch on the next platform (the full-EV will likely come later) which is what I’m interested in. It’s supposed to exceed the current GT’s performance and have a combination of a traditional V6 or V8 motor paired with an electric engine while getting a minimum of 35-40mpg avg. 

14 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

An EV Escape wouldn’t have gotten any attention, just like how there’s been a fully electric Fusion for like 5 years and 99% of people didn’t even know :p 

They more-or-less had to call it Mustang and use the old Mach 1 badging for this to get attention and sell in a way that actually competes with Tesla.

This is the EV sports-car Mustang (proof-of) concept on the current S550 platform:

3-BA8-F802-60-AE-4619-A3-DD-2-A5-FF7-A58 
F784-C04-B-1629-4-E5-E-A672-044-B279-C8-

There’s also a hybrid one coming that will launch on the next platform (the full-EV will likely come later) which is what I’m interested in. It’s supposed to exceed the current GT’s performance and have a combination of a traditional V6 or V8 motor paired with an electric engine while getting a minimum of 35-40mpg avg. 

The electric fusion is a plug in hybrid with only 20miles on a charge.

I'm with you, I want my next car to be full ev, hopefully there's no Nationwide blackout! Hah

I'm surprised there isn't more talk of the Cybertruck, even if just for the hilarious window smashing demo.

There are the obvious Tesla caveats, like "can they actually build it," "when will it actually arrive," "what will and won't make the final design," but even if we set aside the looks and take Elon's low poly truck at face value, it seems like there are some other questions.

Like, where are the freaking side mirrors? You can't legally use cameras in the US yet, and even if you could, there aren't any displays for them. There aren't any windshield wipers. This is a truck you can order now (and 200k people have), but it seems rather unfinished.

Is a roll down screen over the bed and a video rearview mirror really a good idea? I imagine it's good for aerodynamics, and therefore range (and I suspect the entire reason the truck looks the way it does), but it also presents some significant usability problems. It kinda turns the truck into ans SUV of sorts, with the payload only accessible directly from the rear. The way the bed is designed, it doesn't even look like you could reach over the sides of the bed at the rear.

I imagine it's not very controversial to say that this is a truck that isn't built for most people that buy pickup trucks. However, most people that buy pickup trucks don't need them, so maybe that doesn't matter. Whatever ends up happening with this thing, it'll be entertaining to watch.