The Automotive Thread

SuperSpreader

• 3 weeks later...

I’m going to check out a Genesis G70 tomorrow. I contacted this dealer like 4 months back asking when the G70 was coming out and they blew up my phone yesterday as they just got their first shipment. I already have my Mustang, yes... but they don’t know that! :p 

Plus, my fiancé is actually semi-interested in maybe switching from her Infiniti to a G70 in the next 6-9 months anyway.

Well I'm looking for another car. This time it's for my GF. We plan to move up to the mountain area sometime next year so the roads will be steeper and there is snow about 1 -2 months out of the year. I want get to get an all wheel drive car so we have been discussing Subaru. Either the Impreza or WRX. Leaning towards the Impreza because it comes in a hatchback and about 10k cheaper. Depending where I'm at financially after buying the house next year and hopefully a new job I might even try to get me a Focus RS for myself :p

2 hours ago, The def star said:

Well I'm looking for another car. This time it's for my GF. We plan to move up to the mountain area sometime next year so the roads will be steeper and there is snow about 1 -2 months out of the year. I want get to get an all wheel drive car so we have been discussing Subaru. Either the Impreza or WRX. Leaning towards the Impreza because it comes in a hatchback and about 10k cheaper. Depending where I'm at financially after buying the house next year and hopefully a new job I might even try to get me a Focus RS for myself :p

What are you looking to spend?

8 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I have seen base model Impezas start at 18k but even then Im ok with buying a previous year's model. I don't need to buy a high end car especially since I will have just bought a new house. 

3 minutes ago, The def star said:

I have seen base model Impezas start at 18k but even then Im ok with buying a previous year's model. I don't need to buy a high end car especially since I will have just bought a new house. 

Yes, base model. I posted a fully-loaded one, used, one MY old, barely any miles, right around your budget (and these are not high-end). :p 

With a $25k budget, you're best off getting a used one with low miles so you can get a better car with better features and a better (potentially more reliable) engine, as I posted above. Depreciation is your best friend. I just don't think "new" is the best idea in your circumstance. :sun: 

3 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Yes, base model. I posted a fully-loaded one, used, one MY old, barely any miles, right around your budget (and these are not high-end). :p 

With a $25k budget, you're best off getting a used one with low miles so you can get a better car with better features and a better (potentially more reliable) engine, as I posted above. Depreciation is your best friend. I just don't think "new" is the best idea in your circumstance. :sun: 

:shrug:

54 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

:shrug:

Trying to help you get a better car by posting one of the models you're looking at and in your price range that retailed for $11k over the asking price on the link when it was new. But, hey, whatever.

I appreciate your efforts but I'm not all that serious about this purchase yet. Im more focus on the house before I need a car that is for the house ? The house purchase will hopefully be around January so prices on cars will depreciate even more. Right now I'm just figuring out what car model I would need/want.

17 minutes ago, The def star said:

I appreciate your efforts but I'm not all that serious about this purchase yet. Im more focus on the house before I need a car that is for the house ? The house purchase will hopefully be around January so prices on cars will depreciate even more. Right now I'm just figuring out what car model I would need/want.

I get that :p 

I'm just saying that a low-mileage used Legacy or Infiniti Q50 is probably the best bet for AWD, reliability, mpg, and value for your budget. Going new at your price-range is just immediate heartache from the instant depreciation and lack of features/blank buttons that you could have gotten from a "practically" new car, IMO (and I'm not chastising the amount of money you're willing to spend - don't take it that way! It's just that cars at the $25k mark, at least with the AWD that you want, are basically gigantic cock teases and penny pinched to hell). And you're right, it will depreciate more by the time you're ready to buy, which is why it's good to get an idea of what you want now within a grand or two of your budget. :sun: 

Like, I'm not saying you want heated seats and a heated steering wheel... I'M SAYING YOU ABSOLUTELY NEED THESE THINGS!!!!!!! :p :santasun:

5 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I get that :p 

I'm just saying that a low-mileage used Legacy or Infiniti Q50 is probably the best bet for AWD, reliability, mpg, and value for your budget. Going new at your price-range is just immediate heartache from the instant depreciation and lack of features/blank buttons that you could have gotten from a "practically" new car, IMO (and I'm not chastising the amount of money you're willing to spend - don't take it that way! It's just that cars at the $25k mark, at least with the AWD that you want, are basically gigantic cock teases and penny pinched to hell). And you're right, it will depreciate more by the time you're ready to buy, which is why it's good to get an idea of what you want now within a grand or two of your budget. :sun: 

Like, I'm not saying you want heated seats and a heated steering wheel... I'M SAYING YOU ABSOLUTELY NEED THESE THINGS!!!!!!! :p :santasun:

Yeah moving to an area where it will snow is a new experience for me. So those are things I will need especially for the GF. I don't expect to buy new but probably keep it no older than 4 years for a new car though. So I suppose the oldest I would go is a 2014. 

10 minutes ago, The def star said:

Yeah moving to an area where it will snow is a new experience for me. So those are things I will need especially for the GF. I don't expect to buy new but probably keep it no older than 4 years for a new car though. So I suppose the oldest I would go is a 2014. 

Heated seats in the winter will change your life. ;) 

On 10/5/2018 at 12:36 AM, 2user1cup said:

Just buy a Maserati

Maserati’s are just Fiat/Chrysler now and have become the joke of the automotive industry. They use incredibly cheap parts everywhere and are overpriced, even considering how much they’ve been devalued (I could have leased one for >$500/month). At least with Alfa Romeo they use unique parts and aren’t filled with interior parts from a $20k Dodge Dart. :/ 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/4/2018 at 7:33 PM, The def star said:

I have a 2014 Impreza and it handles fantastically in the snow; I've handedly gotten up hills that I've seen 2WD cars struggle with.

On 10/4/2018 at 8:27 AM, Spork3245 said:

I’m going to check out a Genesis G70 tomorrow. I contacted this dealer like 4 months back asking when the G70 was coming out and they blew up my phone yesterday as they just got their first shipment. I already have my Mustang, yes... but they don’t know that! :p 

Plus, my fiancé is actually semi-interested in maybe switching from her Infiniti to a G70 in the next 6-9 months anyway.

Did you ever end up checking it out?

39 minutes ago, Dodger said:

Did you ever end up checking it out?

I sure did! :sun:

It’s nice and it comes with 5 years of maintenance (oil changes, etc) standard - they even come to you and drop off a loaner and pick your car up. Interior quality is top notch, ride quality, handling and acceleration seemed great too, plus, it’s got almost everything you could want: HUD, navigation, Apple car play, android auto, heated steering wheel, heated/cooled seats, 360 back-up camera, adaptive cruise control, lane keep assist, remote start, blind spot monitoring and back-up sensors, heated rear seats, etc. The only omissions (imo), which I thought were odd, are a powered trunk (auto open and auto close via the key fob and/or a button) and massaging seats.

Overall, I do like my Mustang better, but this may have been in my #2 spot, definitely #3 at the lowest (competing with the Audi S4/S5).

7 minutes ago, 2user1cup said:

I did not. I was there to see the Escape and Edge, not buying yet, mostly curious about small SUVs.

I love the Ecosport exterior except how cramped the interior is. I was like... #FakeSUV

You should drive one for shits and giggles :p 

The Ecosport is a strange car... it was developed for South America and Europe years ago but is just now coming to the US. It’s interior was updated for this model year and is a template of how all of Ford’s vehicle interiors will look in the next 2-3 years. There are better options for compact SUVs out there.

The Edge or Escape are both great options, though.

Wife and I decided to not go crazy, or at least too crazy on a car. So we traded in her aging Scion and got this puppy. Compromised by going with 4dr version instead of the 2dr. I am so enamored with the Mini Cooper, so ended up with a 2016 Mini Cooper S w/ JCW tuning kit. Plenty of power and plenty of exhaust for me. LOVE this thing so much. <3 

43915140_1876934662414540_78220117610783

@Dodger, I completely forgot that you were looking at sedans in the low-$50k range - I would def check out the Genesis G70, it's neck-and-neck with the Audi S4 that I previously recommended. I'm also pretty certain it's a hair faster to 60mph as well: the Kia Stinger GT, which has the same engine, advertises a 4.7 sec 0-60, but pretty much every reviewer and test show a 4.4 sec (or better) 0-60, the Audi S4 advertises a 4.4 0-60 with people getting the same 4.4. The G70 is around 200lbs lighter than the Stinger GT so it should easily be in the 4.3 range. Also, with the Stinger GT, tunes and a cold air intake seem to push people into the mid-high 3-second range. The only things that the Audi S4 has over the G70 are massaging seats + that Audi brand recognition, but overall the G70 has more features for a waaaaay lower price, like $10k+ less than the S4 with the same features (plus the G70 has that 5 years of included maintenance with pick-up and drop off of a loaner included) - the S5 fastback (4-door hatchback version) also has the power tailgate/trunk, but it's also heavier and slower than either the S4 or G70... and an extra $2-.3k over the S4.

Thanks for that. I'll give the G70 a good look. But I'm probably not going to be the market for awhile. It's just fun to dream about what I'd want. One of my neighbors has a newer A6, but that's probably outside of my budget. But I do like the new ones. Too bad I can't just get a 2019 S6 willy nilly, 

1 hour ago, Dodger said:

Thanks for that. I'll give the G70 a good look. But I'm probably not going to be the market for awhile. It's just fun to dream about what I'd want. One of my neighbors has a newer A6, but that's probably outside of my budget. But I do like the new ones. Too bad I can't just get a 2019 S6 willy nilly, 

G80 would be a good alternative for an A6 ;)