The Automotive Thread

SuperSpreader

Last week I was helping my fiance's parents find a new car. I found a 2018 Ford Explorer Platinum (highest trim, and fully loaded minus the DVD headrest option) used with just 700 miles (693) for only $44k. New they go for $55-60k, so basically, the depreciation was already paid for. It was at an Audi dealership in Warrington, Pa, so we went out there on Friday to get it for her mom. Her parents were running a little late so I checked out an Audi S5 Cabriolet (convertible) while we were waiting. I really loved the S4 I test dove last year, but this S5 seemed to have a "not as nice" interior despite it's $80k price-tag (the S4 was around $53-55k IIRC), I'm guessing this is to "weatherproof it" since it's a convertible. Anyway, the car certainly didn't seem as fast as the S4 despite having the same engine/specs but was still fun to drive. However, the coolest damn feature was that the seats had a vent where the backrest meets the headrest... It was cool that morning and only in the high 60s with low humidity, however, having the heated-seat enabled makes so hot air blows out of that vent and onto your neck so you can drive with the top down in cooler climates. If you have the cool-seat enabled it does the opposite, having cold air blow on your neck to keep you cool on a hotter day with the top down. Pretty awesome feature. The other bit that I liked, even though I know a lot of convertible cars do this (just not Mustangs :/ ), was that you can have the top go up or down while driving - speeds of up to 30mph allow you to raise or lower the top so you don't need to pull over (the top auto latches or auto unlatches too).

I have no idea what I want for my next car. My inner white boy has always wanted a truck, but every time I drive my dads and try to park the damn thing I get over it real quick. I would like a sports sedan with good performance, but don't want to spend 70 grand on anything either. Oh well, my I've only had my Honda a year and a half so I have plenty of time to think about it.

2 hours ago, Dodger said:

I have no idea what I want for my next car. My inner white boy has always wanted a truck, but every time I drive my dads and try to park the damn thing I get over it real quick. I would like a sports sedan with good performance, but don't want to spend 70 grand on anything either. Oh well, my I've only had my Honda a year and a half so I have plenty of time to think about it.

What’s your budget? RWD, AWD? Auto, DC, Manual? New, used? Brand preference? Speed preference?

21 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

What’s your budget? RWD, AWD? Auto, DC, Manual? New, used? Brand preference? Speed preference?

I have no idea at this time, as my next goal is to actually buy a house in the next year or two so I probably won't even bother looking at a new cars for awhile. But I definitely want something with 4 doors that's reasonably fast, and I hate buying anything used. But I do love cars so I'm always looking and drooling and dreaming. An E63 would definitely work, minus the whole I cant afford it part. 

1 hour ago, Dodger said:

I have no idea at this time, as my next goal is to actually buy a house in the next year or two so I probably won't even bother looking at a new cars for awhile. But I definitely want something with 4 doors that's reasonably fast, and I hate buying anything used. But I do love cars so I'm always looking and drooling and dreaming. An E63 would definitely work, minus the whole I cant afford it part. 

Audi S4.

Affordable as it's like $50k less than a E63 (the S4 goes for $53-62k pending on options). It's fast (Audi advertises a 4.4sec 0-60 but most people get 4.0-4.2). It's AWD so it's fine in bad weather. It has 4 doors.

4 minutes ago, Dodger said:

I might have to get something like that used when the time comes to save money. It does make me wonder what made someone get rid of it so fast though

People with money are insane. They probably regretted not getting the blue one or something. I'm being serious.

Just now, Dodger said:

I want to be an insane person with money

@Mr.Vic20

:daydream:

No, really, there are a lot of people who buy these types of cars, get bored and switch to something else and do not care about the loss through depreciation in even the slightest. It's mind-boggling. If I didn't want a very specific set of options for my 2019 Mustang GT, I'd just look for a low-mileage used one and grab one that already depreciated :p 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

@Mr.Vic20

:daydream:

No, really, there are a lot of people who buy these types of cars, get bored and switch to something else and do not care about the loss through depreciation in even the slightest. It's mind-boggling. If I didn't want a very specific set of options for my 2019 Mustang GT, I'd just look for a low-mileage used one and grab one that already depreciated :p 

I'm also thinking of getting a Camaro next as my trade off between impractical sports car and something I could actually afford. Will help that I will soon be living in Arizona where it will be cheaper to have. I just wonder if I'd be giving up too much comfort and everyday drivability if I did that, as I've actually ever only 3 cars my entire life, and all 3 have boring, practical, reliable Honda's. At some point, I want to get a little crazy. 

24 minutes ago, Dodger said:

I'm also thinking of getting a Camaro next as my trade off between impractical sports car and something I could actually afford. Will help that I will soon be living in Arizona where it will be cheaper to have. I just wonder if I'd be giving up too much comfort and everyday drivability if I did that, as I've actually ever only 3 cars my entire life, and all 3 have boring, practical, reliable Honda's. At some point, I want to get a little crazy. 

Visibility in the Camaro is absolutely awful. I would suggest looking at the new 2018+ Mustang for practicality. The updated 2018 Mustang outperforms the non-ZL1 Camaro anyway.

But honestly, test drive, test drive, test drive!!!

EDIT: If it's not your daily driver, then the Camaro would probably be okay, but if it's your everyday car then I highly suggest getting a good amount of time behind the wheel of one first. The visibility is VERY poor and not something I would personally want to deal with in a DD car. A used GT350 is another option in the low-$50k range.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Dodger said:

I had camaro and agree with @Spork3245, visibility is turrible.  The newer ones are actually smaller in the rear seat compared to the ones that first came out in 2010.  I had a 2010.

Staggered wheel setup on those 20s will also cost you a pretty penny when new tires are needed.  It is a pretty car though and has some fancy features you don't expect.  The car is actually really comfy for a sports car so you wont lose any of that.

Either way, mustang or camaro, you'll lose at the drag strip to a Kia Stinger GT :lol:

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, eggydoo said:

I had camaro and agree with @Spork3245, visibility is turrible.  The newer ones are actually smaller in the rear seat compared to the ones that first came out in 2010.  I had a 2010.

Staggered wheel setup on those 20s will also cost you a pretty penny when new tires are needed.  It is a pretty car though and has some fancy features you don't expect.  The car is actually really comfy for a sports car so you wont lose any of that.

Either way, mustang or camaro, you'll lose at the drag strip to a Kia Stinger GT :lol:

The new Mustang GT runs a 3.9 0-60 and an 11.8 1/4 stock. I forget what the newest non-ZL1 V8 Camaro does but the the Stinger GT runs a 4.4 (.3 better than Kia’s estimates) 0-60 and a 12.5 1/4. :p 

If you’re running against the Stinger GT2 with a 2015-2017 or earlier Mustang GT or a pre-2016 Camaro, you’re def gonna lose though :lol: 

• 3 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, 2user1cup said:

Looks awesome

Thanks! Everyone at the dealership was drooling over it due to the color combination lol

I’m still trying to get used to the digital dash. It’s surprisingly distracting, but I’m also running on very poor sleep at the moment, so that could be why. :p 

The car is an absolute monster, it just feels ridiculously faster than my previous one.

1 hour ago, Remarkableriots said:

@Spork3245 What do you think of Dodge Vipers? Ive always liked the design but never would be able to afford one.

2019 Viper Supercharged

2019 Viper GTS Coupe

2019 Viper GTS

I like Vipers, but, they’re not a good daily driver considering the ride quality harshness. Also, except for the newest model year, I don’t believe any Viper had traction or stability control, so, you need to be a damn good driver to handle one without killing yourself, and if the road even has a drop of water on it, you shouldn’t drive it.

That Mustang looks sexy AF! :drool:

We're looking at getting a used AMG GLA 45 or a new Mini Cooper Countryman JCW in a few years. My wife is leaning towards the AMG, I'm leaning toward the Mini Coop although I'm hot for both of them. I've also considered the S4 but we'll see, we're still a few years away!

• Thanks 1