The Automotive Thread

SuperSpreader

Went to go buy a RAM 1500 Limited today but it was a terrible experience and I left with no truck. I tell the guy if he can make the numbers work he can sell a truck, and that I even want to get a car for my gf soon. Dude tells me it will be $1200 a month or I need to look at a different truck. 

So so I left and he calls me 20 minutes later to tell me he can get the payments “close to $600”

so yeah fuck that guy

2 hours ago, Dodger said:

Went to go buy a RAM 1500 Limited today but it was a terrible experience and I left with no truck. I tell the guy if he can make the numbers work he can sell a truck, and that I even want to get a car for my gf soon. Dude tells me it will be $1200 a month or I need to look at a different truck. 

So so I left and he calls me 20 minutes later to tell me he can get the payments “close to $600”

so yeah fuck that guy

Yeah what an ass - wait for the f150 electric

Everyone is like sports car sports car truck and I'm all like... "That Chevy Bolt looks affordable."  I can't imagine owning a car that requires me to go to the gas station 3+ times a month again. I got gas last in October to avoid getting gas in December. 

8 minutes ago, Ominous said:

Everyone is like sports car sports car truck and I'm all like... "That Chevy Bolt looks affordable."  I can't imagine owning a car that requires me to go to the gas station 3+ times a month again. I got gas last in October to avoid getting gas in December. 

We installed a ev charger at home, our electric bill is 88.00/ mo, it's nothing compared to gas.

12 hours ago, Dodger said:

so yeah fuck that guy

Negotiating the monthly payments is dumbest move when purchasing a new car. 

Assuming the cost of the truck was 60k minus say 10k for trade in or down payment at 4% interest for 48 months would be around $1200

8 hours ago, SimpleG said:

Assuming the cost of the truck was 60k minus say 10k for trade in or down payment at 4% interest for 48 months would be around $1200

Who the fuck pays 4% interest for 48 months?

12 hours ago, SimpleG said:

This is literally what happened. He asks if he can make the numbers work if he can get a sale today. I say yes. He asks what I’m paying currently and I tell him. He tells me the payments on a $60000 truck will be 1200 a month. Then when I tell him that’s not going to work I should look into a lower model. So nothing about price or my trade just come up with 1200 a month or no truck. So I got up and left and he calls me 20 minutes later he can get the payments down.

ive only ever bought one car myself so I probably wasn’t the most prepared. I notice the fucker went straight into dining out what I’m currently paying. I assume these fuckers always try to make the sale based around the payment number you tell them. So I’ll definitely work on being more prepared next time.

10 hours ago, Dodger said:

This is literally what happened. He asks if he can make the numbers work if he can get a sale today. I say yes. He asks what I’m paying currently and I tell him. He tells me the payments on a $60000 truck will be 1200 a month. Then when I tell him that’s not going to work I should look into a lower model. So nothing about price or my trade just come up with 1200 a month or no truck. So I got up and left and he calls me 20 minutes later he can get the payments down.

ive only ever bought one car myself so I probably wasn’t the most prepared. I notice the fucker went straight into dining out what I’m currently paying. I assume these fuckers always try to make the sale based around the payment number you tell them. So I’ll definitely work on being more prepared next time.

They try to sell based on 10-20% of what your previous car payment was as a gauge. But, if you currently owe on what you're trading in, there's a high chance you're going to wind-up in a hole.

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

They try to sell based on 10-20% of what your previous car payment was as a gauge. But, if you currently owe on what you're trading in, there's a high chance you're going to wind-up in a hole.

We didn''t even get that far. Last time I bought a car, they did the same thing. Well if you finance the entire purchase price it will be like $800 a month. But then they got into my trade and next thing you know we're negotiating things and low and behold the final numbers were way different. This guy presented it like this is basically it take it or leave it. Oh well, there is nothing wrong with the Honda, I just wanted something new. I'll chalk it up to a bad experience and maybe I'll try again Labor Day if there any sales going on at another dealer. I was prepared to walk out it if I didn't get the deal I was looking for but damn I didn't think it would be that quick. 

33 minutes ago, Dodger said:

We didn''t even get that far. Last time I bought a car, they did the same thing. Well if you finance the entire purchase price it will be like $800 a month. But then they got into my trade and next thing you know we're negotiating things and low and behold the final numbers were way different. This guy presented it like this is basically it take it or leave it. Oh well, there is nothing wrong with the Honda, I just wanted something new. I'll chalk it up to a bad experience and maybe I'll try again Labor Day if there any sales going on at another dealer. I was prepared to walk out it if I didn't get the deal I was looking for but damn I didn't think it would be that quick. 

If the dickhole dealership has the best deal you can always have them email you the info and then take it to another dealership and see if they'll match it.

Well all the dealers around here all have advertised discounts which average around $10,000, plus other additional discounts. But we didn't even get into discussing price. Sticker was something like $62,000, but with all the incentives they had online it would have been under $50,000. Now do dealers actually back that up or is it just BS to get me on the lot I don't know we didn't even get that far. 

3 hours ago, Dodger said:

Well all the dealers around here all have advertised discounts which average around $10,000, plus other additional discounts. But we didn't even get into discussing price. Sticker was something like $62,000, but with all the incentives they had online it would have been under $50,000. Now do dealers actually back that up or is it just BS to get me on the lot I don't know we didn't even get that far. 

It highly depends on credit score and who you finance thru. Dealers have been known to up the interest rate after the discount. Bringing your own financing may cause the discount to be in validated.

1 hour ago, BlueAngel said:

No I have a 72 month loan, obviously I'm going to refinance my loan through my credit union so that will go down to probably 48 months at 2.5%. I've only had the car since January, had no choice at the time but to buy right away regardless of the financing. My credit is building up, currently at a 702, was around 650 when I purchased my car.

Yea, a 72 month loan is going to be a higher percentage than a 48 month loan.

• 2 weeks later...

So at the beginning of the month, I had a wreck in my beloved 2013 Nissan Frontier with only 33k miles. I rear-ended someone, no one was hurt and the damage didn't seem that crazy. I was close to home and was even able to get it back to the house. I got an initial estimate on the damages, but after it was in the shop for a couple weeks, my insurance company called me back and said it was being totaled. Basically, the further they tore it down, the more damages they were finding, so they wrote it off as a loss. I was really bummed, because it had been paid off since 2016, had the low miles, and I was content to drive it for the foreseeable future, especially since we're on track to have our mortgage paid off in 5 years. Alas, life happens, though. At least the insurance paid out $21k. 

I'd always thought when I got a new truck, I'd get something different and I was eyeing the Colorado. My mom drives a Canyon and I really like it. Went out searching today and ended up buying this: 

kZrdQvk.jpg

It's a 2017 model Z71 with 28k miles and it's pre-owned certified, so it comes with a warranty. And putting $19k down(saving the other $2k of my insurance check for the sales tax), my payments will be around $240 a month over 4 years, so I can easily live with that. It had a clean history with only one prior owner and it's in really nice condition overall. 

I miss my Frontier, but I think I'll be very happy with this. 

40 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

So at the beginning of the month, I had a wreck in my beloved 2013 Nissan Frontier with only 33k miles. I rear-ended someone, no one was hurt and the damage didn't seem that crazy. I was close to home and was even able to get it back to the house. I got an initial estimate on the damages, but after it was in the shop for a couple weeks, my insurance company called me back and said it was being totaled. Basically, the further they tore it down, the more damages they were finding, so they wrote it off as a loss. I was really bummed, because it had been paid off since 2016, had the low miles, and I was content to drive it for the foreseeable future, especially since we're on track to have our mortgage paid off in 5 years. Alas, life happens, though. At least the insurance paid out $21k. 

I'd always thought when I got a new truck, I'd get something different and I was eyeing the Colorado. My mom drives a Canyon and I really like it. Went out searching today and ended up buying this: 

kZrdQvk.jpg

It's a 2017 model Z71 with 28k miles and it's pre-owned certified, so it comes with a warranty. And putting $19k down(saving the other $2k of my insurance check for the sales tax), my payments will be around $240 a month over 4 years, so I can easily live with that. It had a clean history with only one prior owner and it's in really nice condition overall. 

Hey! 21k for a 2013 is great, and your upgrade seems nice so while you have a payment, it seems way reasonable!

14 minutes ago, 2user1cup said:

Hey! 21k for a 2013 is great, and your upgrade seems nice so while you have a payment, it seems way reasonable!

Thanks. I'm not a big automotive person, this is only my 4th vehicle in the 16 years I've been driving. I like trucks since I hunt and sometime have to haul stuff, plus there's a little redneck in me. :p This will be the first non-Japanese brand I've owned, so I hope it goes well for me. It's just so darn pretty and definitely has more bells and whistles than my old truck. Barring any accidents or major issues, I plan to drive this for years to come.

The accident I had was my only one in 16 years. Dammit.

3 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

kZrdQvk.jpg

Nice. I just bought a new GMC Elevation last spring. By far my favourite truck I ever owned. 

So this is an insurance question not a car question but I figured this is a good place to post this: am I missing something here or are these actually equivalent coverages? I'm nervous I'm missing something because the Geico quote is $200 less than the Progressive quote, and every other time I've gone comparison shopping Geico has come out slightly more expensive than Progressive. And I don't want to screw around with not having the proper level of coverage because my current coverages are all the minimums the dealership wanted to see before handing over the keys for my lease. I did get a piece of mail saying Geico recently lowered rates in my area but I didn't think that really meant anything and figured it was just typical junk mail marketing bullshit.

And yes I know I don't have roadside assistance selected on the Geico quote but that only adds less than $10.

Progressive:

TH4JrSc.png

Geico (total of $469.78):

HzsJk7w.png

j0vFo5L.png

2 hours ago, Dodger said:

Looks the same other than the roadside. Consider getting rental, people tend to get real mad when they don’t have a rental after an accident. Or it’ll be about $25 a day with the insurance company discount. 

My new rig 2019 Ram 1500 limited 

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/ToUE72e

not sure how to inbed from mobile

Link doesn't work

23 hours ago, Dodger said:

Looks the same other than the roadside. Consider getting rental, people tend to get real mad when they don’t have a rental after an accident. Or it’ll be about $25 a day with the insurance company discount.

Okay cool, thanks. Like I said I couldn't tell if it was a too good to be true situation.

And the reason I leave car rental off is I only live 1.5 miles from work, I have plenty of options for getting to work. I guess I can see what it adds though.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Okay cool, thanks. Like I said I couldn't tell if it was a too good to be true situation.

And the reason I leave car rental off is I only live 1.5 miles from work, I have plenty of options for getting to work. I guess I can see what it adds though.

Then you likely don't need it. It's usually not expensive but shit you could walk to work if you had to for a week or two while your car gets fixed.