Serena Williams Retires

Keyser_Soze

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

We deserve a Serena farewell slam win, particularly to do so at the U.S. Open.

Reminds me of this.  No, he didn't win, but as a kid growing up in the 70s and 80s and being a tennis fan and seeing the glory days of tennis first hand and being a fan of all the likes of Connors, Borg, Arthur Ashe (I had his signature racquet), Ile Nastase, Vitas Gerulaitis (briefly), and my favorite at the time, Guillermo Vilas, until he was replaced when McEnroe came around was as big a part of my youth as much as any of the major sports I followed as a kid.

But time passes and things change and the "stars" you enjoyed as a kid grow old and move on to other things, as do you.

However, as a young adult watching Connors make this run at Flushing Meadows in '91 I couldn't help but feel like that little boy again watching in awe as someone whose time had seemingly past him shook off the rust and went for one more ride for me and others to enjoy. 

I remember it like it was yesterday, during a time when I was in awe again, and when I was remembering my earlier yesterdays due to the performance of an athlete at sunset.

Serena...you go girl.  Win it.  

2 hours ago, Biggie said:

Tennis isn’t a sport it’s a hobby 

I think I put only boxing and/or wrestling ahead of tennis when it comes to grueling, individual and direct competition.  

In some instances it is more intense...running left to right, forward and backwards, sometimes as hard as you can, over the course of as much as three hours.  Like doing gassers from football for an entire afternoon and then swinging a stick.

It's a hobby for some who are strong and physically fit enough to handle it.

...which isn't everybody.

21 minutes ago, BuckFly said:

I think I put only boxing and/or wrestling ahead of tennis when it comes to grueling, individual and direct competition.  

In some instances it is more intense...running left to right, forward and backwards, sometimes as hard as you can, over the course of as much as three hours.  Like doing gassers from football for an entire afternoon and then swinging a stick.

It's a hobby for some who are strong and physically fit enough to handle it.

...which isn't everybody.

Glorified table tennis

• Haha 1