Eidos Wants to "Do what Cyberpunk 2077 Couldn't" With Next Deus Ex

Mr.Vic20

13 hours ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

I dunno what it is. I liked Invisible War but for the life of me I can't get into Human Revolution or Mankind Divided.

I hard noped out of Human Revolution towards the end of the game (I think?).  Some room they dump you after a cutscene, where the enemies already see you and you can’t stealth.

3 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

I hard noped out of Human Revolution towards the end of the game (I think?).  Some room they dump you after a cutscene, where the enemies already see you and you can’t stealth.

Spoiler

Where you have to get past all the guards at the party? IF so, that is the pretty much the end! It was a pain in the ass.

The original Deus Ex is one of my all-time favorite games ever made.

I wasn't a big fan of invisible war and didn't like where the story went. But Human Revolution and Mankind Divided pulled me back in. They didn't reach the heights of the original, but they were still really good games and I'd easily buy another entry on day one.

So, right off the bat, I'm all for this. That said, I'd be really interested to be a fly on the wall and hear what they have in mind. All the Deus Ex games have been semi-open world: you're funneled through areas, but they're large and have lots of optional things. Cyberpunk, in contrast, was fully open world and also featured a lot more player customization.

So are they thinking of similarly going full open world this time? Part of me wants to say, "do it you fucking cowards," but on the other hand, these fully open world games are one of the most demanding and complex kind of games and I don't want them to bite off more than they can chew.

I think I'm leaning toward "do it you fucking cowards" though :p 

• Like 1
  • True 1
  • Halal 2

2 hours ago, AshsToAshs said:

Honestly, with how good their Guardians of the Galaxy game was, I'd rather they just make more GotG games.

As someone who liked the GotG game well enough but doesn't give a shit about GotG or other superhero media; I'll take the Deus Ex, thanks!

• Halal 3

11 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

As someone who liked the GotG game well enough but doesn't give a shit about GotG or other superhero media; I'll take the Deus Ex, thanks!

This. I had a lot of fun with GotG, but burn that shit to the ground if it is what would prevent us from getting more Deus Ex.

18 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

Not to mention didn’t the main GOTG writer to go to the new Mass Effect team? I’d rather a Mass Effect with that quality writing than GOTG alone, and yeah I’d also rather a new Deus Ex so it’s kinda win win.

I think GOTG is fine as a one off, though of course I wouldn’t say no to a sequel either, but definitely not ahead of Deus Ex.

On 8/7/2022 at 7:25 AM, legend said:

I wasn't a big fan of invisible war and didn't like where the story went. But Human Revolution and Mankind Divided pulled me back in. They didn't reach the heights of the original, but they were still really good games and I'd easily buy another entry on day one.

So, right off the bat, I'm all for this. That said, I'd be really interested to be a fly on the wall and hear what they have in mind. All the Deus Ex games have been semi-open world: you're funneled through areas, but they're large and have lots of optional things. Cyberpunk, in contrast, was fully open world and also featured a lot more player customization.

So are they thinking of similarly going full open world this time? Part of me wants to say, "do it you fucking cowards," but on the other hand, these fully open world games are one of the most demanding and complex kind of games and I don't want them to bite off more than they can chew.

I’m thinking they don’t need to go full Cyberpunk open world, but just an expansion upon the Prague hub in MD. Make something lower in scale (than CP) but dense and just don’t have you driving cars which takes away a lot of the need for such a huge space. And then have certain levels branch out from the hub still. I think they could make what people were kinda hoping CP would be by just evolving their previous work.

• Halal 2

5 minutes ago, stepee said:

I’m thinking they don’t need to go full Cyberpunk open world, but just an expansion upon the Prague hub in MD. Make something lower in scale (than CP) but dense and just don’t have you driving cars which takes away a lot of the need for such a huge space. And then have certain levels branch out from the hub still. I think they could make what people were kinda hoping CP would be by just evolving their previous work.

This right here, just expand the existing blue print, its so close and already nails the vibe better than 2077. The answer isn't open world, its deep and fun game play loops that you can repeat a lot with high variability. 

• Halal 1

13 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

This right here, just expand the existing blue print, its so close and already nails the vibe better than 2077. The answer isn't open world, its deep and fun game play loops that you can repeat a lot with high variability. 

Open world also limits you to one location. If it serves the story better I’d take multiple hubs.

• Halal 1

12 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Release the game on time!

No wait...

Have an ad campaign that isn't racially problematic!

Hold up a minute...

Establish realistic sales targets!

I'll get there...

Have AI that isn't shit!

Don’t try to release it on systems that can’t properly run the game.

Don’t do this shit

Screenshot_2019_06_11_23.02.16.png

On 8/7/2022 at 10:25 AM, legend said:

All of this. I've been waiting for the third game in this series with Jensen since the minute I finished up Mankind Divided. These games are so incredibly fun to play, I love stealthing entire levels/areas. I'll never forget taking the massive elevator so I could finally see how the upper plate finally lived in Human Revolution in hub world Hengsha. Both games are full of cool little moments like this.

They won't actually make the game, but do it you fucking cowards. 

• Like 1

On 8/8/2022 at 12:05 PM, stepee said:

They totally don't. If they just evolve on what's there, I'll probably still love it.

But I really want to say fuck it and see what they'd do in a full open world anyway :p 

• Halal 1

Well the problem with open worlds is rarely that it's just big, it's that it's shallow. The more varied and complex your interactions with the world, the better it feels. If BotW had the same world interaction as your average GTA, it would've sucked.

But it's more than that, of course. What's the point of a big city if you can enter less than 1% of the buildings? At that point they're just big walls, and walls are not interesting. 

What's the point of a city or world if most inhabitants are mindless and pointless, no different from the bushes that litter the ground except you can attack them and they say a couple random barks?

Small scale zones solve a lot of these problems because of course they're handcrafted, almost every NPC manually placed with many lines of dialogue and interactions, more buildings you can enter in a smaller area, even if combat and world interaction are technically as limited, stage design and encounter design can make it feel much more dynamic and keep you focused on the action. 

Now, all of this is super obvious, but I think because open worlds often fail at these, people assume they can't succeed at them, which I just don't think is necessarily true. I just think it would take extra resources and technology that fans just aren't demanding because they're often most impressed with the size itself, which is why that continues to be such a big focus, I think. Would be so much more work, time, money, R&D, etc, for something I think a suit would say no one has been asking for... but I think would lead to some truly incredible games.

For me personally, the #1 open world desire is a high level of both scripted and unscripted world interaction. Systems always going on in the background like BotW's weather and physics, so you can build a janky flying machine, throw your weapon at the right time, having it get hit by lightning and serving as a way to one-shot a group of enemies, stuff like that. Even just the climbing, which hilariously Daggerfall had ages ago, while modern Bethesda titles barely allow you to break away from Talk/Attack/Pick Up. So limited, and many weather things might just be... poison swamps poison you, radiated water radiates you, both just being damage. 

I want to cause avalanches, dig holes, blow up structures Red Faction style, set up traps with the hole I dug, use my fire magic to burn down a forest, or my water magic to put out a fire, or my ice magic to freeze a doorknob so an NPC gets their hand stuck, or paint the walls or sweep the floor (nasty ass Fallout environments), race against NPCs, put a false sun in the sky to confuse and bewilder people, and so much more. 

Funnily enough, BotW does a fair amount of these, but for me, more is always better, and the ability for the systems to naturally interact massively increases my enjoyment of exploring the world. Suddenly, an arrangement of rocks, logs, weapon caches, etc, can become emergent gameplay and are exciting for more than just being interesting set dressing. Things might get janky or break or look stupid, but it can lead to really amazing gameplay. 

I crave so badly to experience worlds in this way, BotW really made me want more. 

• Like 1
  • True 1
  • Halal 1