When did the spanish chorizo become the defacto chorizo?

unogueen

As per my upbringing, chorizo just means sausage. But the amerosphere seem to demarcate a specific spanish type to be archetype for the language. There are of course no end in varieties of sausages, as many as cultures have figured out to overseason trimming and stuff them in intestinal casings. But I feel the spanish chorizo is a poor cousin to many, like loukaniko, merguez, lap cheong, andouille, all family of the morcilla, a nice cheddar smokie, the list goes on. Name a worthy successor to defeat this egregious affront.

1 hour ago, unogueen said:

As per my upbringing, chorizo just means sausage. But the amerosphere seem to demarcate a specific spanish type to be archetype for the language. There are of course no end in varieties of sausages, as many as cultures have figured out to overseason trimming and stuff them in intestinal casings. But I feel the spanish chorizo is a poor cousin to many, like loukaniko, merguez, lap cheong, andouille, all family of the morcilla, a nice cheddar smokie, the list goes on. Name a worthy successor to defeat this egregious affront.

Because Chorizo originates from Spain and all the others are variants. Chorizo isn't just any sausage tho, this is a misunderstanding on your part, sausage alone would be salchicha, chorizo is a STYLE of sausage/salchicha. @Joe can add more flavor, pun intended!

• True 1

2 hours ago, SuperSpreader said:

Because Chorizo originates from Spain and all the others are variants. Chorizo isn't just any sausage tho, this is a misunderstanding on your part, sausage alone would be salchicha, chorizo is a STYLE of sausage/salchicha. @Joe can add more flavor, pun intended!

You are correct. Mexican chorizo is delicious but it’s a completely different food than Spanish chorizo. Also you’re correct about salchicha of course. Chorizo isn’t the only sausage eaten in Spain, Mexico, or other Hispanic countries. When Mexicans in my wife’s family have seen chorizo in its Spanish form, they’re like “mmm salchicha!”

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, Joe said:

You are correct. Mexican chorizo is delicious but it’s a completely different food than Spanish chorizo. Also you’re correct about salchicha of course. Chorizo isn’t the only sausage eaten in Spain, Mexico, or other Hispanic countries. When Mexicans in my wife’s family have seen chorizo in its Spanish form, they’re like “mmm salchicha!”

Yup. Context is gonna depend on who your friends are @unogueen - your buds think of Chorizo as Spanish Salchicha. 

Personally, I know which I'm talking about based on the context of the food. If I'm talking about tapas I'm obviously talking about the Spanish salchicha. If I'm talking about Mexican I'm thinking of having it with huevitos and frijjjolitos gueeeeeyyy with some sallllsita. 

Spanish cows look like a cross between moos and devil turkeys. The are black with pink stripes running down their sides, like a fox in pitch black spotting. Their legs are so short, their backbone lines up vertically just below their head. They look like they have bee stings on every digit. Their horns are about 2-1/2-4 inches long and piercingly pointy, but not scary like those horns. But I feel short and pointy is not an unusual default for these chowing on the equivalent of old lady carob nuts, they aren’t into hauling hay or endless grazing.

Where does the original Spanish chorizo get their strong flavor? I suspect it is from cattle fed some pork. The black we saw, or at least the milk with which we had a Q-tip-sized sample had a chubby flesh to it. The softest of all meat breeds in terms of flavor are Landrace breed cows, called Robado Fuente. These are the cattle we observed at de Cazuela, the sow was eating from a titty bucket that had half a pound of salt and beer solution in it. As in, this she was massaging every part of her in that water and a yeast treatment–consecrating the bond of flesh to meat. Also since de Cazuela likes lager beer as milk replacement for their infants, the chorizo has some competition, having no malice.

• Shocked 1

Would you refer to lap cheong as a chinese salchicha, or soondae a korean salchicha? Chorizo has been a colloquialism for cased meat tubules during my time in south america. But the regional reference to spain fails muster when it is not the origin point of the meal product. Then why invest in salchicha as the general term when there are far older examples of the technique. Or is this one of those colonial runoffs no one wants to bother with.

8 hours ago, unogueen said:

Would you refer to lap cheong as a chinese salchicha, or soondae a korean salchicha? Chorizo has been a colloquialism for cased meat tubules during my time in south america. But the regional reference to spain fails muster when it is not the origin point of the meal product. Then why invest in salchicha as the general term when there are far older examples of the technique. Or is this one of those colonial runoffs no one wants to bother with.

I don't know, ask your friends. Sausage has always been Salchicha in Spanish regardless of Spain or Latin America. What country where you in and what was the context? 

1 hour ago, unogueen said:

The argentinian chorizo has nothing in common with the spanish one, not even protein. Nor is it any nearer to any sort of encased itaiian meat. Why did the name pass on?

Then it's just a Chorizo variant, and also a Salchicha. Like how a Hamburger and a BLT are both Sandwiches but neither are a Grilled Cheese. 

• Haha 1