The Banshees of Inisherin - Colin Farrell & Brendan Gleeson in a Martin McDonagh Film

Set on a remote island off the west coast of Ireland, THE BANSHEES OF INISHERIN follows lifelong friends Pádraic (Colin Farrell) and Colm (Brendan Gleeson), who find themselves at an impasse when Colm unexpectedly puts an end to their friendship. A stunned Pádraic, aided by his sister Siobhán (Kerry Condon) and troubled young islander Dominic (Barry Keoghan), endeavours to repair the relationship, refusing to take no for an answer. But Pádraic's repeated efforts only strengthen his former friend’s resolve and when Colm delivers a desperate ultimatum, events swiftly escalate, with shocking consequences.

29 minutes ago, Moa said:

Looks good. I adore in Bruges and Farrell and Gleeson have some of the best chemistry I've ever seen. Curious how in the 15 years since In Bruges Colin Farrell has aged 15 years and Gleeson hasn't aged a day.

Hell, I'd say he hasn't even really aged since '28 Days Later'

I have (unfortunately) never seen 'In Bruges', yet its one of those films I hear about constantly. Need to rectify that I think.

As for 'Seven Psychopaths', that is one HELL of a freaking film for sure, wasn't aware that 'Three Billboards...' was also a McDonagh film, intriguing.

• 2 months later...

I was putting a lot of faith in this regrouping because while I love In Bruges, I strongly dislike McDonagh's two more recent films. Thankfully, this is a homer, and possibly his best to date (certainly his most mature.) I had the pleasure of being in a theater with a bunch of older folks who didn't find the movie very amusing and were subjected to me laughing pretty continuously throughout this, and bellowing at one more classically-structured joke in particular that caught me completely off-guard. Roundabout way of saying it's very funny, while also being brutally emotional at times, especially as it rounds the bend to the end. Delves deep into Pádraic's (Farrell) self-doubts surrounding himself and his friend and Colm's (Gleeson) reason for the sudden cold shoulder and attendant fears, and some not-so-natural escalations that follow.

Farrell's the standout I'd say, but I want to shout out Kerry Condon who does brilliant work as the only sane person on the island. She exudes so much heart and warmth here as Pádraic's sister, trying to ease her brother's insecurities and bat away Colm's pointed comparisons between the two of them.

And I forgot Keoghan was in this. Love that guy. He's another weirdo here. But a different kind of weirdo than he's done before. He has so many weirdos in him.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, SoberChef said:

Side note: Between this & "The Gentleman", why exactly does Colin say "film" like "phil-em"!?

It's a regional dialect thing, lot of Scots and Irish do it, especially outside of the big cities. Looked into it a while ago, but anecdotally, I met two Irish and two Scots back in June and it naturally came up, and with them all being from more comparatively rural/coastal towns, they all pronounced it with two syllables. I was the odd one with my single-syllable American pronunciation.

• Hugs 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/28/2022 at 10:34 PM, Zeluge said:

I was putting a lot of faith in this regrouping because while I love In Bruges, I strongly dislike McDonagh's two more recent films. Thankfully, this is a homer, and possibly his best to date (certainly his most mature.) I had the pleasure of being in a theater with a bunch of older folks who didn't find the movie very amusing and were subjected to me laughing pretty continuously throughout this, and bellowing at one more classically-structured joke in particular that caught me completely off-guard. Roundabout way of saying it's very funny, while also being brutally emotional at times, especially as it rounds the bend to the end. Delves deep into Pádraic's (Farrell) self-doubts surrounding himself and his friend and Colm's (Gleeson) reason for the sudden cold shoulder and attendant fears, and some not-so-natural escalations that follow.

Farrell's the standout I'd say, but I want to shout out Kerry Condon who does brilliant work as the only sane person on the island. She exudes so much heart and warmth here as Pádraic's sister, trying to ease her brother's insecurities and bat away Colm's pointed comparisons between the two of them.

And I forgot Keoghan was in this. Love that guy. He's another weirdo here. But a different kind of weirdo than he's done before. He has so many weirdos in him.

Doesn’t surprise me that Farrell is the standout given how funny he is during In Bruges; even to this day I’ll occasionally think of his line deliveries (especially with the tourist) and chuckle. 

• True 1
  • Halal 1

14 hours ago, Chris- said:

Doesn’t surprise me that Farrell is the standout given how funny he is during In Bruges; even to this day I’ll occasionally think of his line deliveries (especially with the tourist) and chuckle. 

Some of the lines he has in that film are absolutely astonishing. As a viewer I was genuinely saying aloud "Who the fuck says that!?" all while having tears in my eyes & gasping for breath from laughing hysterically!

I think I wrote about it in the "Movies You've Seen" thread but yeah, I loved this one as well. It's one of those movies that kind of just took me with its ride and vastly more bizarre shit could've happened and I would've been on board with it just because I found the world and atmosphere it created so believable and immersive. 

His sister cursing people out was a real treat every single time! 

PS: Also big fan of In Bruges. Saw it at the local indie theater when it came out and preordered it on DVD as soon as I had the chance. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...