RIP in Peace(maker), HBO Max...in 2023

7 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

They cancelled it for Tax write offs... again, NOTHING to do with the percieved quality or lack thereof. Texting with my buddy who had a show in development with them that just got killed and he said there's more to come. HBOMAX will cease to exist by the end of the week.  

After which, Zaslav will turn his "Eye of Sauron" gaze to the gaming division.

3 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Now I'm wondering if we'll ever even get Los Espookys, season 2. All you bastards better go and watch season 1 before it's gone. It's one of the best comedies out there and mostly gets ignored because it's in Spanish. Fred Armisen and Julio Torres are just too good together.

Season 2 has a release date (September 16) and it's an HBO production (not HBO Max).

• Thanks 1

It is important to understand that while this content potentially could be monetized to a larger long term plus, the new regime has been tasked with cleaning up the books NOW. Whatever they have already spent is spent. So foregoing any further post expense or marketing/distribution expense and taking the paper loss straightens things out much more quickly than the long run value of these finished projects.

When you combine that with a pretty obvious change in content direction, there really is no place to put this stuff besides on the shelf.

20 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

That's because it already has been for at least 15 years, especially more recently since physically made copies of a lot of releases, particularly streaming TV shows, simply don't exist. Ripping it off of the streaming service and putting it up for torrent download essentially saves the show long term so people can watch it unless it gets licensed rescued, which not all content can. I've downloaded most things unless it's on Netflix or Amazon Prime and it's the only place to get things like a fan-made 4K restoration based on a theatrical 35mm film print of Michael Mann's The Keep, with fan-made subtitles to go along with it since the audio mix for the official release was intentionally ruined by the studio. It's the same with game preservation. Gotta sail the high seas. I try to support smaller films and shows where I can, but honestly I'm convinced "views" don't matter in terms of "helping" the actual content itself on a streaming platform.

7 minutes ago, number305 said:

Can someone explain this to me like i'm 5...

If HBOMAX goes away is that different than HBO?  Like what happens to the new GOT show, or shows like Barry?  Where would older shows like the wire etc end up?

Nothing happens to the new GoT, Barry, Succession, etc. for the time being. Those shows were always under the banner of the premium cable HBO that has existed since time immemorial.

What is being canceled are productions that were developed specifically for streaming under the HBO Max banner.

• Thanks 1
  • Halal 1

22 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

That's because it already has been for at least 15 years, especially more recently since physically made copies of a lot of releases, particularly streaming TV shows, simply don't exist. Ripping it off of the streaming service and putting it up for torrent download essentially saves the show long term so people can watch it unless it gets licensed rescued, which not all content can. I've downloaded most things unless it's on Netflix or Amazon Prime and it's the only place to get things like a fan-made 4K restoration based on a theatrical 35mm film print of Michael Mann's The Keep, with fan-made subtitles to go along with it since the audio mix for the official release was intentionally ruined by the studio. It's the same with game preservation. Gotta sail the high seas. I try to support smaller films and shows where I can, but honestly I'm convinced "views" don't matter in terms of "helping" the actual content itself on a streaming platform.

Yup. All of this. I've sailed the high seas for similar reasons. I also sail the high seas when a distributor/production wants me to double dip (i.e. not providing a digital copy of the vinyl album I purchased at a premium).

• Like 1

I understand that if you have HBO Max, HBO, and all the other companies that Discovery and Warner now own, there must be some overlap that could probably be cut, but just gutting HBO Max seems like a terrible idea. I don't know how closely linked the HBO Max shows were with the HBO shows, but they've had some great shows over the last couple years.

Station Eleven, Tokyo Vice, Hacks, Peacemaker, Our Flag Means Death, Minx, and Harley Quinn have been some of my favorites.

• True 1

Holy shit, they cancelled a show literal hours before it was set to premier. So not just 100% but 200% lying about why they cancelled Batgirl.

TBS has cancelled the single-camera comedy just hours ahead of its previously scheduled Season 2 premiere. The cable network intends to assist in the search for a new home for Season 2.

chad-nasim-pedrad-tbs-comedy.jpg?w=620
TVLINE.COM

Nasim Pedrad comedy 'Chad' has been cancelled at TBS. Season 2, which was set to premiere July 11, will no longer air on the network.

3 minutes ago, Jason said:

Holy shit, they cancelled a show literal hours before it was set to premier. So not just 100% but 200% lying about why they cancelled Batgirl.

TVLINE.COM

Nasim Pedrad comedy 'Chad' has been cancelled at TBS. Season 2, which was set to premiere July 11, will no longer air on the network.

Sam Bee was canceled last week as well 

3 minutes ago, Jason said:

TVLINE.COM

Who's lying about Batgirl? That NY Post article is literally the only place saying Batgirl was canceled because of it being bad. Like the only place. That'd why I said it wasn't very credible. 

• True 1

1 minute ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Pretty good thread that makes you feel like this was inevitable because he brings up a bunch of obvious points and puts them all in one spot.

it was inevitable... a lot of this is just being made public but that's been the feeling around town for months that this was gonna go down this summer.

• Halal 1

So this whole thread is a shit show of awful news. Browsing through, a few thoughts:

• Call me batshit crazy but the streaming service bubble is about to burst & we are going to see massive fallout reverberating throughout the entire film environment.
  • Discovery/Discovery+ even having enough capital in the first place in which to buy out HBO from ATT still has me reeling. How have they been able to be that profitable!?
  • How are you going to snap up an entity in which it has been entirely built on QUALITY above all else since the early days and yet think "Nah, gonna change everything about it!"?
  • Going to guess that the chances of "Tales From the Crypt" FINALLY coming back to HBO/HBOMax won't be a thing then and that wicked freaking sucks ass!
  • If they separate DC from everything else & either license it out or sell it outright, that does NOT sound good for the brand of all things DC in my opinion.