RIP in Peace(maker), HBO Max...in 2023

@skillzdadirecta and I were discussing this in the Gotham Knights thread on The Spawn Point, but I figured I'd better post this here as well:

Warner-Bros-Discovery.jpg?w=1024
DEADLINE.COM

Warner Bros. Discovery is heading into a very important week.

Zaslav has promised to find at least $3 billion in cost savings and it's hard for me to imagine that divisions like HBO and DC won't be impacted in some way by the budget scythe.

I know that the WBD senior leadership team have repeatedly stated that they don't plan to touch the creative side of things, but...let's just say that there's probably A LOT riding on the success of House of the Dragon in terms of the types of production budgets that they'll be willing to fund going forward. 

In my mind, the future of high-end, "prestige" programming more than likely resides with Apple TV+, not HBO.

• Halal 1

Just now, Remarkableriots said:

Hopefully the rumor is true and they sell off DC to a more competent company. It would be an improvement even if Apple bought DC.

They won't sell DC outright - that would be just plain insanity.

It's more likely that they will license the comics side to other publishers while continuing to fully own and operate the film/TV side.

• True 1

Moonshot-Cole-Sprouse-Lana-Condor.png?w=
VARIETY.COM

HBO Max has purged at least six Warner Bros. movies that were exclusively streaming on the service in an apparent cost-cutting move.

Warner Bros. Discovery has been quietly culling content from HBO Max — including several Warner Bros. movies that were exclusively streaming on the service — in what appears to be an effort to cut costs.

Within the past few weeks, at least six Warner Bros. movies have been removed from HBO Max: “Moonshot,” a sci-fi rom-com starring Lana Condor and Cole Sprouse; artificial-intelligence dystopia comedy “Superintelligence,” starring Melissa McCarthy; Robert Zemeckis’ 2020 remake of “The Witches,” starring Anne Hathaway, Octavia Spencer, Stanley Tucci and Chris Rock; comedy “An American Pickle,” starring Seth Rogen as an immigrant who wakes up after being pickled for 100 years; Doug Liman heist pic “Locked Down” with Anne Hathaway and Chiwetel Ejiofor; and drama “Charm City Kings” from director Angel Manuel Soto.

All six of the films were labeled as “Max Originals.” The removals were noted by users on Reddit in a discussion of the Warner Bros. decision to nix plans to release “Batgirl” — in theaters, on HBO Max or via any other platform.

Meanwhile, the reboot of comedy classic “House Party,” from LeBron James and Maverick Carter’s SpringHill, was previously slated to premiere July 28 on HBO Max but was scrubbed from the release calendar.

1 minute ago, Greatoneshere said:

So I was super surprised by the Tokyo Vice season 2 renewal on HBO Max due to Ansel Elgort. But now with all this happening, how likely is it that the season 2 renewal for the show gets pulled? Such a shame, show was really building up.

from what is being said with the exception of a few thing that can probably put on HBO proper most scripted stuff is DOA

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

So I was super surprised by the Tokyo Vice season 2 renewal on HBO Max due to Ansel Elgort. But now with all this happening, how likely is it that the season 2 renewal for the show gets pulled? Such a shame, show was really building up.

1 hour ago, Firewithin said:

from what is being said with the exception of a few thing that can probably put on HBO proper most scripted stuff is DOA

Tokyo Vice is more than likely going to be transferred to the premium cable HBO channel.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I'm telling you, based on what I'm hearing they are about to really out the fuck to HBOMAX. The Discovery folks are ALL IN on unscripted shit. They don't believe in scripted fictional programming because it costs too muchand they built their Network off of unscripted crap.

I mean, that's definitely the vibe I'm getting.

That really sucks because HBO Max is by far the best streaming service IMO…I don’t necessarily mind they are cutting original content (besides their documentaries, which have been quite good) but I have little hope they will keep some of their other contracts (like Ghibli and TCM) running.

On 8/1/2022 at 6:47 PM, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

They won't sell DC outright - that would be just plain insanity.

It's more likely that they will license the comics side to other publishers while continuing to fully own and operate the film/TV side.

They're not gonna sell DC... the characters are too valuable. They WILL however kill DCComics in some form or another. There have been rumors for YEARS of them getting out of the comic publishing game. Some rumors going so far as to suggest they would let Disney/Marvel license the characters for publication.

Just for the record, Disney's streaming operations is losing nearly $1 billion per quarter.

Similarly, the company continues to seem largely unworried by the fact that its digital offerings aren’t just operating at a loss, but at an increasing one; although revenues were up for the quarter, expenses were up even more, meaning Disney lost $0.9 billion on streaming over the last three months (up from $0.6 billion the previous quarter). As we said before, the company has always been up front about how expensive getting into streaming would be, but it’s a sobering reminder that not even Disney can make money out of nothing. Among other things, the company reportedly had to eat a billion dollar loss in penalties paid because it cut a deal with a customer licensing its content, presumably so that it could feed that material to Disney+ instead.

• Shocked 1

Nobody knows how to run a profitable streaming operation. Netflix has built their business on cheap debt, but if you actually look at dollars in/out without the massive borrowing they have done they aren’t making money. And slowing growth doesn’t put them in a good position to change that any time soon.

3 minutes ago, Jason said:

I feel like cancelling something that's 100% done solidifies that they have to be lying about why they cancelled Batgirl.

They cancelled it for Tax write offs... again, NOTHING to do with the percieved quality or lack thereof. Texting with my buddy who had a show in development with them that just got killed and he said there's more to come. HBOMAX will cease to exist by the end of the week.  

5 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

They cancelled it for Tax write offs... again, NOTHING to do with the percieved quality or lack thereof. Texting with my buddy who had a show in development with them that just got killed and he said there's more to come. HBOMAX will cease to exist by the end of the week.  

Now I'm wondering if we'll ever even get Los Espookys, season 2. All you bastards better go and watch season 1 before it's gone. It's one of the best comedies out there and mostly gets ignored because it's in Spanish. Fred Armisen and Julio Torres are just too good together.