Let’s. Fucking. Go!

10 minutes ago, Jason said:

Let's see if GM sticks with the Bolt price drop they announced, since I think that was decided to make up for the lack of EV credit eligibility. Will be really interesting if they stick to dropping it to $26k and then you can get the $7500 on top of that. 

Shit, at under $20k I'd just pay cash and save the car for the next 4 years until our daughter gets her license.  (She probably will never plug it in though, considering she never charges her phone)

• Haha 2

The deal also includes a cap on the suggested retail price of eligible vehicles of $55,000 for new cars and $80,000 for pickups and SUVs.

Ugh dumb as shit, we shouldn't be further subsidizing absurdly enormous vehicles.

3 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Go right ahead and vote against a bill intended to bring back high-quality manufacturing jobs to the United States, House GOP.  Knock yourselves out!

lol why wouldn't House Ds vote for it

But by all means exercise your 2A right to shoot yourself in the dick guys. Preferably with an AR-15.

1 hour ago, SuperSpreader said:

I still don't believe Schumer came up with the bait & switch. McConnell must have been like, look you idiots we have to do something, do this and I'll play along like I don't know what's going on.

Mitch is the Turtle, but Chuck is the Tortoise. Slow and steady eventually wins the race.

Fantastic retaliation there, Senate GOP.  Keep it up!

3000.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Jon Stewart, who has lobbied for bipartisan bill to expand healthcare for veterans, condemns ‘stab-vets-in-the-back senators’

The measure, called the Honoring our Pact Act, would make it easier for veterans to access military care related to exposure to Agent Orange in Vietnam and toxins from pits used to burn military waste in Iraq and Afghanistan.

A version of the bill passed the Senate 84-14 earlier this year but was sent back to the House for some technical corrections. It easily passed there.

But on Wednesday, 25 Republican senators who previously supported the measure declined to move it forward.

John Cornyn, a Texas Republican, told CNN Republicans did not back the measure because Chuck Schumer, the Senate majority leader, was blocking votes on amendments Republicans wanted.

Cornyn also said Republicans wanted to negotiate more, in order to cut out some of the mandatory spending contained in the bill.

Stewart called that justification “bullshit”.

Republicans blocked the veterans measure just after Schumer, from New York, and Joe Manchin, of West Virginia, announced they had reached a deal on a sweeping tax and climate measure.

The Schumer-Manchin announcement reportedly caught Republicans off guard after another big measure, to support the US semiconductor industry, passed the chamber earlier in the day.

Maybe you guys can help me out with what I should do regarding my vehicle situation. 

In 2019 I made a bad decision to lease a $60,000 truck that I definitely don't need. It's really nice, and hey twice a year or so that bed does come in handy. But it's at the top of my price range, and I currently work from home so I drive about 50 miles a week, occasionally more as I live on the outskirts of the Phoenix metro area and it's anywhere to 20-50 miles to do most things, or a good 10 miles to some things which I do once or twice a week to get out of the house. The lease is due in December and the residual is going to be about $36k. I can get a tank of gas to last me a month, more if I don't randomly go to a Diamond Backs game or something. 

The used car market is nuts. I looked around at the local dealers and 6 year old civics are listed at 20-25k. I saw a 2017 Yaris listed at $15k. But I think about it, and an EV with a range of even 250 miles could last me damn near a month on a single charge. So that should save me a ton of money on gas. Problem is I don't have much to work with on a down payment, and I don't know how these tax credits work. I currently pay about $670 a month for the truck and would like to get lower than that. Any EV recommendations? Or am I looking at it wrong? I don't want to lease anymore I'd prefer to just regular finance something, and keep it for the next 10-15 years. I can just refinance the  truck and keep it for awhile as it looks like more options will be out in the next year or two. Or I could try waiting out the used car market until prices come down. 

Can you absolutely not go without two cars for a bit? If you can you could sell the car while there's still a bunch of equity above the buyout (or buy out the lease and then sell it yourself, if you have a lease where you can only return it to the manufacturer's finance--e.g. I can only sell my leased Elantra to Hyundai Motor Finance or a Hyundai dealer). Then wait for the new EV credits in 2023 (obviously wait for the bill to actually pass first) and/or used car prices to come back to earth given all the repossessions that are starting to happen.

• Halal 1

Used car prices are insane, and so are new car prices if you buy them off of the lot.  I special ordered my Maverick as was able to pay MSRP because that was my dealer's policy.  If I would have bought it off of the lot, it would have been around $4k extra for the "market adjustment". 

Anyways, check if any of your local dealerships will honor MSRP for ordered vehicles.  If you do buy something new, be reasonable about what you actually need.  It doesn't sound like you need much in terms of size or power.  Maybe a Chevy Bolt would do you well.

1 minute ago, mclumber1 said:

Used car prices are insane, and so are new car prices if you buy them off of the lot.  I special ordered my Maverick as was able to pay MSRP because that was my dealer's policy.  If I would have bought it off of the lot, it would have been around $4k extra for the "market adjustment". 

Anyways, check if any of your local dealerships will honor MSRP for ordered vehicles.  If you do buy something new, be reasonable about what you actually need.  It doesn't sound like you need much in terms of size or power.  Maybe a Chevy Bolt would do you well.

I'd love to hear what you think of your Maverick.

1 minute ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

I'd love to hear what you think of your Maverick.

It's good!  I've had it since December and have put around 4000 miles on it. I have the 4wd ecoboost model, so I average in the low 20s for gas mileage, but have gotten over 30 on dedicated highway trips.  The hybrid gets over 40mpg in the city, but they are pretty hard to come by from what I understand. 

1 minute ago, mclumber1 said:

It's good!  I've had it since December and have put around 4000 miles on it. I have the 4wd ecoboost model, so I average in the low 20s for gas mileage, but have gotten over 30 on dedicated highway trips.  The hybrid gets over 40mpg in the city, but they are pretty hard to come by from what I understand. 

Very cool. If I didn't have an 08 Ranger with plenty of life left in it I'd be looking at a Maverick. As it stands now I'm actually looking at getting an F-150 at some point to fit the family and dogs for road trips.

13 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Very cool. If I didn't have an 08 Ranger with plenty of life left in it I'd be looking at a Maverick. As it stands now I'm actually looking at getting an F-150 at some point to fit the family and dogs for road trips.

I downgraded from an F-150 to the Maverick.  I didn't need the room and I never used it to tow, so it worked out well.  Plus they gave me more money for my F-150 trade-in than what the new Maverick cost.

3 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

I downgraded from an F-150 to the Maverick.  I didn't need the room and I never used it to tow, so it worked out well.  Plus they gave me more money for my F-150 trade-in than what the new Maverick cost.

Nice. I got three little ones and two dogs. The Maverick would be a little cramped for us.