Nintendo Direct 9.13.2018 (3PM PT/ 6PM ET)

JosephManderley

1 hour ago, Paperclyp said:

You kinda accidentally figured out my point. People weren't mad they were porting old games to the Wii U. They were mad that that's the only thing that was coming out on the Wii U. If the Wii U also had an original library that could stand on its own and make the system worth owning outside the ports (like the Switch does), nobody would have complained about the ports. So, this is not a valid criticism to level against the Switch.

I'd say as far as Nintendo is concerned, that's simply not true.  By this time in the Wii U's lifecycle, it had Super Mario 3D World, Pikmin 3, Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart 8, Wonderful 101, and NSMBU + Luigi.  That's a solid, if not exemplary output for them.

I do prefer the Switch line-up.  But beyond the improved marketing, a lot of good will came from a Zelda game releasing at its launch (and BoTW at that).  The sore feelings about the Wii U not getting an exclusive Zelda ended up being a small minority.  Nintendo knew exactly what they were doing.

No one complained about ports because they were too busy with Zelda.  Also, because the Switch was an actual handheld and the Wii U was a bust.  I think it's clear enough now why they never dropped the price of the U.  It was all to get more mileage out of the ports.

3 hours ago, Bacon said:

But yeah, I am gonna be extremely negative about Nintendo until they give me something I like. Well, Xenoblade 2 was good, I just never got around to beating it. 

Xenoblade 2 is worth seeing through.  No regrets for finishing it on my end.
I still need to go back and do more of the blade sidequests.  A few of them ended up being a lot more substantial than I thought they'd be.  Plus I still want to max out Ursula at some point.

DnBxrsbU8AYO187.jpg:large

... I might be in for Torna eventually.  I like that it's shorter and self contained, and adds some interesting looking DLC to the main game too.  But I'll probably need a breather from JRPGs after DQXI.

2 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

(Also, again, most people aren’t inherently against ports. But if there’s very little other reason for people to buy your machine, it might rub some the wrong way). 

Again, the Wii U had a solid library of original Nintendo games after a year and half.  To say there was "very little other reason" to buy one is overly dismissive.

The Switch's library is worse off for people that owned a Wii U.  A lot of those ports are in fact, amazing games.  For most Switch owners, they aren't padding.

8 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Again, the Wii U had a solid library of original Nintendo games after a year and half.  To say there was "very little other reason" to buy one is overly dismissive.

The Switch's library is worse off for people that owned a Wii U.  A lot of those ports are in fact, amazing games.  For most Switch owners, they aren't padding.

It had a solid library of one publisher’s games, yes. And if you remember correctly, other than that it was a baron wasteland with nothing else but what Nintendo could provide on the horizon. And then even Nintendo was instead of doing new games, putting stuff out like Wind Waker at times, with no Zelda, Mario, or Metroid in sight. 

The point is, throwing your hands up and saying “ports?!? This is what people complained about on the Wii U,” following this direct is ignoring a shit load of context about why that was frustrating for people at that time. They aren’t similar in any way. 

It’s not really that controversial of a viewpoint. Pretty cut and dry. 

43 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

It had a solid library of one publisher’s games, yes. And if you remember correctly, other than that it was a baron wasteland with nothing else but what Nintendo could provide on the horizon. And then even Nintendo was instead of doing new games, putting stuff out like Wind Waker at times, with no Zelda, Mario, or Metroid in sight. 

The point is, throwing your hands up and saying “ports?!? This is what people complained about on the Wii U,” following this direct is ignoring a shit load of context about why that was frustrating for people at that time. They aren’t similar in any way. 

It’s not really that controversial of a viewpoint. Pretty cut and dry. 

On the contrary, almost all of this could apply to the Switch.  There still isn't much to get hyped for outside of ports and Nintendo's properties.

The Switch had a great 2017 line-up, but 2018 hasn't been stellar for Nintendo's original games.  Q1-3: Mario Tennis, dialed in Kirby, Xenoblade 2 & Splatoon 2 DLC.  Q4: Smash,  Mario Party, dumbed down Pokemon.  Not their worst, but far from the best.

Metroid still isn't in sight, lol.  It's even more of an unknown than BoTW was at its first teaser.  Same goes for the real Pokemon.  Will we even see it in 2019?

Lastly, let's not do revisionist history: Wii U had 2+ Mario games in its first year.  (Super Mario 3d World, NSMBU & Luigi U DLC)  They never stopped making new games because of Wind Waker, or the farmed out TP port for that matter.  Those were the extent of their port jobs that gen.

4 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

On the contrary, almost all of this could apply to the Switch.  There's still isn't much to get hyped for outside of ports and Nintendo's properties.

Nintendo had a great 2017 line-up, but 2018 hasn't been stellar:  Mario Tennis, Xenoblade 2 DLC, dialed in Kirby, dumbed down Pokemon, Smash and Mario Party at the end of the year. Not their worst, but far from the best. 

Metroid still isn't in sight, lol.  It's even more of an unknown than BoTW was at its first teaser.  Same goes for Pokemon.  Will we even see it in 2019?

Lastly, let's not do revisionist history: Wii U had 2+ Mario games in its first year.  (Super Mario 3d World, NSMBU, & Luigi U DLC)  They never stopped making new games because of Wind Waker, or the farmed out TP port for that matter.  Those were the extent of their port jobs that gen.

I can’t respond to this in detail right now, but now you’re lumping old ports in with incredible 3rd party support. 

There’s plenty of stuff to look forward to, including ports that nobody would have dreamed would come a Nintendo console (cities just this week, civ down the line). 

I cannot believe someone would think the Wii U and switch are in analogous positions lol. I feel like I’m in an alternate reality. 

The Switch doesn't have incredible 3rd party support.  Progress has been made, but large segments of the industry still ignore it.  It's been good for indies and the occasional soft-AAA remaster that fits the portable form factor.  But there's also less 3rd party exclusives than 2+ gens ago.  (... At least there's Octopath Traveller.)

I've never said the Wii U and Switch were in analogous positions.  Only that the Wii U did have a solid library at this point in its lifecycle.  And that the Switch's output, while improved, still has some obvious sore spots.

Just now, crispy4000 said:

The Switch doesn't have incredible 3rd party support.  Progress has been made, but large segments of the industry still ignore it.  It's been good for indies and the occasional soft-AAA port that fits the portable form factor.  But there's also less 3rd party exclusives than 2+ gens ago.

I've never said the Wii U and Switch were in analogous positions.  Only that the Wii U did have a solid library at this point in its lifecycle.  And that the Switch library, while improved, still has some obvious sore spots. 

The Wii U had a good crop of Nintendo games, but it had nowhere near the library that the Switch currently has, ports or not. Like, they’re not even in the same universe. 

I agree I’d like to see more games catered to me coming from Nintendo, however. 

9 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

The Wii U had a good crop of Nintendo games, but it had nowhere near the library that the Switch currently has, ports or not. Like, they’re not even in the same universe. 

I agree I’d like to see more games catered to me coming from Nintendo, however. 

Excluding ports, I'd put their Switch output roughly on par with the Gamecube or Wii at this point in their lifecycle.  Gamecube might edge out both.