Don't mean to get all Biggie-Rich on your asses

Fizzzzle

I can't help it, though, I don't have another outlet for this, so you guys are getting the rage dump that I can't put anywhere else. WHAT THE FUCK IS THE POINT OF LABOR DAY. Isn't Labor Day supposed to celebrate the American work force? Why is it, then, that the only people who actually have to fucking work on Labor Day, are fucking laborers? You think Best Buy, Starbucks, Amazon, or any other retailer/service/contracting company are letting anyone (other than management) take that day off? How about construction companies? How is it that the only people who get "Labor Day" off are the people who don't do any actual labor?

I have a proposal. Labor Day is the one day where the only people who are legally allowed to work are salaried employees. If you have someone on an hourly wage, they are legally not allowed to work, BUT companies still have to pay them for it. It is a nationally mandated PTO day for waged employees (who, btw, don't get PTO in the vast majority of circumstances). Companies can either shut down for the day because they don't have enough salaried employees to do the work that the waged employees normally do, or the salaried employees can spend a day in the workers' shoes. Either way, most of the country shuts down, and we *actually* get an appreciation for how much the country relies on people that live paycheck to paycheck. Maybe that would cause people to rethink their philosophies. Even the waged people who suddenly have that day off and nothing to do with it because all the bars are closed.

• Guillotine 2

On 9/5/2018 at 6:52 AM, mikechorney said:

:shrug:

Almost all of the hourly workers got labor day off in my company.  Those that didn't got double-time-and-a-half.

See, there's no federal law that requires companies to pay time and a half on holidays. In all my years working, I have worked at exactly ONE company that paid 1.5x on holidays. You know what company that was? Abercrombie and fucking Fitch. I was 16. I stayed at that job for 3 months, long enough to by an Xbox 360. Since then, no company I have ever worked for or even knew anyone who worked for paid anyone extra for holidays. Maybe cashiers at grocery stores, but they are unionized.