Netflix's Geralt of Rivia is...Henry Cavill; update - 2019 release confirmed

24 minutes ago, Jason said:

The problem isn't just the looks though, I'm with skillz on being dubious about someone this young being able to bring the gravitas/worldliness/experience/whatever you want to call it that a 100 year old would have. 

I haven't seen what little she's in, but Im always down to give her a chance. Also looking at the actress for Ciri, it's a role they are both going to grow into if the series lasts long enough. 

It's a TV show. I dont think they need to come off the exact same way that they do in the books or games. Let them make the role their own while also staying true to the character (which would be a problem if she was miscast, but we dont actually know that). 

People wont be happy no matter what. It's a beloved series. I'm ready to see what this cast and crew do with the franchise. 

13 hours ago, Jason said:

Isn't Yennefer supposed to be really old but using magic to make herself look young?

She uses sorcery to look really young.  Just like the Red Woman on Game of Thrones.  Without it, she has a hump back and is really old. It was in one of the books. Most of the Sorceresses do it in the Witcher universe because using magic takes a physical toll on them... also they are all really old.

7 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

She uses sorcery to look really young.  Just like the Red Woman on Game of Thrones.  Without it, she has a hump back and is really old. It was in one of the books. Most of the Sorceresses do it in the Witcher universe because using magic takes a physical toll on them... also they are all really old.

Yeah, doesn't even Triss use magic to make herself more attractive? Maybe I am wrong. Cant' exactly recall. 

Anyway, I'll prolly give the show a shot, but the books don't really seem like my cup of tea. Like the game characters and book characters are quite a bit different, or so I was told. So, I am fine with Netflix taking some liberties, especially if the characters are more like their game counterparts. 

20 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Yeah, doesn't even Triss use magic to make herself more attractive? Maybe I am wrong. Cant' exactly recall. 

Anyway, I'll prolly give the show a shot, but the books don't really seem like my cup of tea. Like the game characters and book characters are quite a bit different, or so I was told. So, I am fine with Netflix taking some liberties, especially if the characters are more like their game counterparts. 

The game characters aren't THAT different from the books from what I've read and yes, Triss makes herself more attractive than she actually is though not to the extent that Yen does. All sorceresses in the Witcher U do.

Honestly the Witcher games come across to me as Twilight for boys, so I don't mind if the characters are very different. But no in world explanation is going to make me feel better about seeing 35-year old Cavill romping around in bed with an actress that looks 16. It'll be as appealing as watching breastfeeding in Game of Thrones.

Hopefully these are just bad photos.

On 10/11/2018 at 10:38 AM, Greatoneshere said:

What none of you have considered is Henry Cavill is known for dating super young, barely 18 year old girls and he's super weird about it. 

He's the one now driving this production with his name on it, so who is to say he didn't suggest these casting choices heavily? It's the most logical and simplest explanation for why both girls look so young. 

I like Cavill, but I'm just saying . . . 

Henry Cavill is a fucking idiot. I like him as an actor and everything, but... the dude is a dope.  

On 10/14/2018 at 8:27 AM, Wild said:

Honestly the Witcher games come across to me as Twilight for boys, so I don't mind if the characters are very different. But no in world explanation is going to make me feel better about seeing 35-year old Cavill romping around in bed with an actress that looks 16. It'll be as appealing as watching breastfeeding in Game of Thrones.

Hopefully these are just bad photos.

The Witcher books are better written than Twilight, but conceptually you are right on the money.