Netflix's Geralt of Rivia is...Henry Cavill; update - 2019 release confirmed

On 9/8/2018 at 4:32 PM, ALIEN-gunner said:

None of this nonsense matters, thse show was doomed to fail from the beginning. 

It was definitely going to mine salt from fanboys that made Witcher into their Twilight, but the rest of us should be able to enjoy it just fine.

On 9/8/2018 at 5:12 AM, Wild said:

Apparently we're going to have to deal with another fanboy freak out about how "Slavic means white" when Ciri's announcement is cast. They're looking for a minority actress.

Slavic does not mean white.  Descriptions in the book where it says she is white... that kinda means she is white.

However - 

Movies and TV shows (and video games) are their own separate things from books.  They are really someone else version of a book - always with many changes.  Some changes are better some are worse but they do not taint the original material.  Separate mediums should be judged separately.  

I have no problem with gender/race swaps.  Hopefully when it is done it is done to serve the story and not solely for sjw reasons.

Forced diversity is an awful thing usually from the SJW crowd who use it as virtue signaling to feel better about themselves pretending to help who they believe are preceived as lower class citizens. It's kinda predjudice really. But it's even worse when it's used as a marketing tactic. I don't know why exactly Netflix is making this change but I do know that if it weren't for the popularity of the videogame this show wouldn't have been in production and since Ciri is "white" I can sympathize with the fan outrage. I don't care about the books or games, I've never read them or played them but I know that when videogames are turned into tv shows or movies they usually muck everything up. 

• Guillotine 2

The writers are a bunch of hardcore SJW activists, people were already on edge because of some of the crap they had been posting on twitter,  this only goes to further those concerns, I'm not upset about a black Ciri at all but if there is one world where the sensibilities of hardcore SJW's do not match well with the world they are writing, it's the Witcher.  At the end of the day if the world is still mostly true to the source material and it's well done then everyone will forget their issues, but it's concerning.

2 hours ago, misfit410 said:

The writers are a bunch of hardcore SJW activists, people were already on edge because of some of the crap they had been posting on twitter,  this only goes to further those concerns, I'm not upset about a black Ciri at all but if there is one world where the sensibilities of hardcore SJW's do not match well with the world they are writing, it's the Witcher.  At the end of the day if the world is still mostly true to the source material and it's well done then everyone will forget their issues, but it's concerning.

I'll push back on this a little bit as I have read the books and one of the reoccurring themes in the series is racism...  against non-humans in the world and The Witchers themselves. Elves, Dwarves and other non-humans are treated as second class citizens and herded into what are effectively ghettos in most towns in The Witcher Universe and this is in the games as well, to an admittedly lesser extent. Commentary on racism is as much a part of The Witcher series as it is a part of the Xmen books.

Also did they SAY that Ciri was going to be Black necessarily? I know when people hear "Diverse" that's immediately where their heads go, but I bet that in making that casting call, they opened up Ciri's casting to ALL ethnicities. I'm betting they are going for an "ethnically ambiguous" looking actress to play Ciri and fanboys freaked out as they are want to do.

51 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I'll push back on this a little bit as I have read the books and one of the reoccurring themes in the series is racism  against non-humans in the world and The Witchers themselves. Elves, Dwarves and other non-humans are treated as second class citizens and herded into what are effectively ghettos in most towns in The Witcher Universe and this is in the games as well, to an admittedly lesser extent. Commentary on racism is as much a part of The Witcher series as it is a part of the Xmen books.

Also did they SAY that Ciri was going to be Black necessarily? I know when people here "Diverse" that's immediately where their heads go, but I bet that in making that casting call, they opened up Ciri's casting to ALL ethnicities. I'm betting they are going for an "ethnically ambiguous" looking actress to play Ciri and fanboys freaked out as they are wont to do.

Seriously, the second game makes a racial conflict one of the biggest decisions in the entire game.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Chris- said:

Seriously, the second game makes a racial conflict one of the biggest decisions in the entire game.

Yeah I figured most of the people complaining know little about the actual world of The Witcher beyond the third game... which most probably haven't even finished if they played it.  The Witcher books are all about racism and it's ugly under currents.

I still have a couple of books in the series I have to read, but I've read three of them. I fell in love with the series after the second game.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/10/2018 at 2:46 PM, ALIEN-gunner said:

Forced diversity is an awful thing usually from the SJW crowd who use it as virtue signaling to feel better about themselves pretending to help who they believe are preceived as lower class citizens. It's kinda predjudice really. But it's even worse when it's used as a marketing tactic. I don't know why exactly Netflix is making this change but I do know that if it weren't for the popularity of the videogame this show wouldn't have been in production and since Ciri is "white" I can sympathize with the fan outrage. I don't care about the books or games, I've never read them or played them but I know that when videogames are turned into tv shows or movies they usually muck everything up. 

Diversity in casting is great as it provides characters for minority people to attach themselves to and look up to, and there is no downside. Seriously, what is your argument for keeping a character white except for "they were white in the other version"?

14 minutes ago, Wild said:

Apparently she is around 22. I took the risk and googled her. That’ll still feel weird with Cavill being 35 and looking it.

Yeah I checked too just out of curiosity. Ultimately it doesn't really matter to the awkwardness if she is 22 or 47 if she looks 12 :p 

Hopefully that photo is very misleading.

56 minutes ago, ALIEN-gunner said:

This is a Netflix show so awkwardness is par for the course. It's the same service that has an episode of Big Mouth where pre-teens girls whip all their clothes off as they dance around with a bunch of naked female adults. Straight up pedo fuel. 

If you found that scene as pedo fuel , you have issues.

51 minutes ago, legend said:

Yeah I checked too just out of curiosity. Ultimately it doesn't really matter to the awkwardness if she is 22 or 47 if she looks 12 :p 

Hopefully that photo is very misleading.

I'm still not sure I think she looks like part but I do think there's something about the angle of the photo and/or or the makeup she's wearing that's making her look super young. Here's some additional pictures I found:

Anya-Chalotra-1.jpg

Anya-Chalotra-1.jpg

And here's another picture of her from Wanderlust (I'm assuming the picture @TheLeon posted is from Wanderlust?):

Anya-Chalotra-plays-Jennifer-in-Wanderlu

Is her character in Wanderlust maybe supposed to be in high school? I don't know anything about the

1 hour ago, Jason said:

I'm still not sure I think she looks like part but I do think there's something about the angle of the photo and/or or the makeup she's wearing that's making her look super young. Here's some additional pictures I found:

Anya-Chalotra-1.jpg

Anya-Chalotra-1.jpg

And here's another picture of her from Wanderlust (I'm assuming the picture @TheLeon posted is from Wanderlust?):

Anya-Chalotra-plays-Jennifer-in-Wanderlu

Is her character in Wanderlust maybe supposed to be in high school? I don't know anything about the

The first two pics are more promising (in fact it doesn't even look like the same person, are we sure it is?). The third still feels super awkward to me :p 

So here's hoping make up can avert what could be really creepy!

6 minutes ago, legend said:

The first two pics are more promising (in fact it doesn't even look like the same person, are we sure it is?). The third still feels super awkward to me :p 

So here's hoping make up can avert what could be really creepy!

The second one had a caption overlaid on it on the site I found it on:

image.png

https://globintel.com/uk/anya-chalotra-bio-wiki-age-boyfriend-parents-education-the-witcher-movies-and-tv-shows/

This is also apparently her:

mobile

http://www.shakespearesglobe.com/m/discovery-space/adopt-an-actor/archive/hero-played-by-anya-chalotra

• Thanks 1

What none of you have considered is Henry Cavill is known for dating super young, barely 18 year old girls and he's super weird about it. 

He's the one now driving this production with his name on it, so who is to say he didn't suggest these casting choices heavily? It's the most logical and simplest explanation for why both girls look so young. 

I like Cavill, but I'm just saying . . .