Netflix's Geralt of Rivia is...Henry Cavill; update - 2019 release confirmed

He loves the games and the books, he knows the character well, he is a solid actor, and a bankable name for the series. it makes perfect sense.

Now, whether I think a younger man like him can play Geralt of Rivia - I don't know. He can certainly get the body for the part, and I imagine costume and make-up will take care of a lot of the rest.

5 minutes ago, Dre801 said:

Don't they need someone with charisma for this role?

Go watch The Tudors and The Man From U.N.C.L.E. He can ooze charisma.

Just now, Jason said:

I'm still kinda dubious about this pick, but those really probably are the primary qualifications for being a good pick for something like this. 

I am also dubious, but knowing all of the material well is better than someone picking up a paycheck. 

• Like 1

No problems here. Didn't he come out like a month ago saying he'd love to play the part? He's a fan and  shouldn't have much trouble looking the part with the right makeup. Sure, he's young, but it's not like he needs to look sixty years older or anything. He's also a good actor and can pull off the charisma he needs just fine. I wouldn't hold any acting you get out of any of the DC movies against the actors themselves. Those movies are train wrecks. No actor was going to save any of them.

48 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

He loves the games and the books, he knows the character well, he is a solid actor, and a bankable name for the series. it makes perfect sense.

Now, whether I think a younger man like him can play Geralt of Rivia - I don't know. He can certainly get the body for the part, and I imagine costume and make-up will take care of a lot of the rest.

Well damn I can save my breath because that is almost word for word what I was going to say.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Wild said:

Not what I expected, but he's a good actor with a lot of charm, so I'm on board with it. I sense a Heath Ledger's Joker bit of internet backtracking, though.

I do wonder what this means for DC's future plans.

Agreed 100%. I always thought Mads Milken would have been perfect for this but he may be considered too old now. I'm cool with this.

2 hours ago, Dre801 said:

Don't they need someone with charisma for this role?

I'll admit that I'm not the biggest fan of The Witcher, but in my memory of those games, Geralt is either deadpan growling dialog or slaughtering a bunch of dudes/monsters. I feel like that is exactly what a Henry Cavill can deliver. 

I have very little attachment to the character and I quite like Cavill as an actor, so I'm pleased with this news. I think it also speaks well that they're paying for someone established. Early rumors were they were spending some real money on this, and this seems well in line with those.

13 hours ago, Jason said:

I saw somewhere else that he was actively lobbying for the role.

Yea, but iit's a bit murky on the timing. Those comments were a few weeks ago and he has been in negotiations for months. Could be that his interview statements were gauging fan reactions, or trying to prime the audience with some credibility before the announcement after the previous casting announcement fiasco with the leaked audition tape. I find it hard to believe they cast Geralt after everyone else.