What steps have you taken recently to decrease your dependence on the torture of animals?

johnny

1 hour ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

If you think about it, humans are the most invasive, destructive species. I'm starting to understand why the Purge is such a good idea. We need to cull. That would actually solve most of our problems. We could all eat as much meat as we wanted if there were a lot less of us. 

Just now, TheLeon said:

If you think about it, humans are the most invasive, destructive species. I'm starting to understand why the Purge is such a good idea. We need to cull. That would actually solve most of our problems. We could all eat as much meat as we wanted if there were a lot less of us. 

Well, that's kinda true. Humans are the reason these invasive species...invade.

I volunteer Johnny as the first sacrifice for the Purge.

18 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

Are you volunteering?  Or do you just want to kill other people?

I just had a thought. Johnny likes baseball(and football, I think?) Those games rely on leather, in the use of the balls and the gloves. Does he just ignore that? 

I'm legit asking here. If you feel that strongly about not harming animals(since he uses terms like "murdering fish"), does it bother you to support sports that rely on animal products?

Are suffering and death meaningful in absence of consciousness? When we are talking about animals, does their lack of consciousness (as we understand it) lessen our moral obligation to avoid causing them pain and suffering (and ultimately killing them)? They aren't deprived the same way a human is deprived through suffering or death. I'm not suggesting we should beat dogs to death or stuff chickens into horrifically tight cages, but I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that humans have a minimal moral obligation toward animal well-being.

Bad:

Had a chicken sandwich with bacon and mayo for dinner (gotta eat the mother and the young)

Killed a stinkbug (insects have the same right to live as chickens, right?)

Good:

Put my cat on a low protein renal diet  that has more filler -- and thus less meat   - but will help him live longer (this might be bad, because I am trying to extend the life of a carnivore)

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

...that's not what he's saying.

Then what is he saying? Because you can buy vitamins and it’s not even that expensive. Are we talking about how the body absorbs the pill? I must be missing something unless he’s referring to b12 you get from eating things like plants where you don’t get as much as you do if you eat meat. 

And when did I say it was all or nothing? I never claimed to be perfect. I can tell you I haven’t purchased a baseball, football, etc. in a very long time. But just like I have to drive to work so that I can afford to eat the way I do, I am causing harm. Why are some people so hellbent on being “perfect”? Literally mentioned you could have one day where you eat vegan and that’s too much work for you. Wow I like to watch football. Guess I can’t ever comment on animal suffering. Can I also not speak out against brain trauma? Or is that okay since that one involves a human? 

All im trying to do is get people to treat animals and as a product of that, the environment, better, and 90% of the people on the board shit down my throat lmfaooooo. Who would have thought that advocating for less murder would be controversial. 

50 minutes ago, johnny said:

Then what is he saying? Because you can buy vitamins and it’s not even that expensive. Are we talking about how the body absorbs the pill? I must be missing something unless he’s referring to b12 you get from eating things like plants where you don’t get as much as you do if you eat meat. 

And when did I say it was all or nothing? I never claimed to be perfect. I can tell you I haven’t purchased a baseball, football, etc. in a very long time. But just like I have to drive to work so that I can afford to eat the way I do, I am causing harm. Why are some people so hellbent on being “perfect”? Literally mentioned you could have one day where you eat vegan and that’s too much work for you. Wow I like to watch football. Guess I can’t ever comment on animal suffering. Can I also not speak out against brain trauma? Or is that okay since that one involves a human? 

All im trying to do is get people to treat animals and as a product of that, the environment, better, and 90% of the people on the board shit down my throat lmfaooooo. Who would have thought that advocating for less murder would be controversial. 

I didn't shit on you, I've repeatedly stated my only issue with you is your attitude of moral superiority for being a vegan. You've shown it repeatedly since you disclosed that about yourself here. You deliberately misuse terms like "murder" to cast aspersions on people who eat meat. Your statements in this thread make it seem like the only way humans can make the world better is by cutting back on meat. I bring up other ways we can cut back and it gets disregarded. I bring up my responsible conduct with my hunting practices, which greatly benefits the environment and it gets ignored and I'm essentially called a murderer.

That is literally my only issue with you. No one here shit on you, except Biggie.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I didn't shit on you, I've repeatedly stated my only issue with you is your attitude of moral superiority for being a vegan. You've shown it repeatedly since you disclosed that about yourself here. You deliberately misuse terms like "murder" to cast aspersions on people who eat meat. Your statements in this thread make it seem like the only way humans can make the world better is by cutting back on meat. I bring up other ways we can cut back and it gets disregarded. I bring up my responsible conduct with my hunting practices, which greatly benefits the environment and it gets ignored and I'm essentially called a murderer.

That is literally my only issue with you. No one here shit on you, except Biggie.

I didn’t shit on you once for hunting in this thread. I’ve come to accept it as a necessary evil. 

I know murder applies to humans but I really feel like we should be treating animals with more respect so I call it murder. Even if somebody kills a dog, I would say you murdered it. I know it’s not technically right but that’s what I say. 

I do think there is some kind of moral superiority to being vegan since you’re inflicting a lot less harm on animals. But that’s not why I talk about it on here. I genuinely want people to cut back on their consumption of animal products. Helping the environment in other ways is great but this is what I’m most passionate about. We could debate about car emissions but that’s not what I’m interested in talking about. I want to talk about ways to reduce our dependence on animals. 

Not in this thread, you just accused me of murdering fish this time around, lol. People don't really take you seriously when you say stuff like that. 

I generally eat about one serving of meat a day. We could all technically do more, but not everyone is gonna be passionate about it. My passions lie elsewhere, so I do my part elsewhere. I don't want animals to suffer needlessly, but that's often the reality when billions of omnivores eat. One animal dying to feed another is just nature. I'm not going to trouble myself too much with that aspect of it.

You said you bought the fish, you didn’t fish for it. So I didn’t shit on you for hunting in this thread, like I said. I did shit on you for eating fish. I could have been nicer about it but it’s hard when people come into this thread and talk about how much they love the taste of the animal they’re eating. I don’t know what the intention is, but it feels like it’s being rubbed in my face when people could easily just not post, or at least not brag about the animal that was killed for them. 

It’s one thing im passionate about. You don’t want to do more? Okay. It’s your life. But I’m still going to try and get you and others to at least consider it. Especially when you engage with me in the thread about it. I’m not going to bring it up randomly and harass you about it. 

31 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

And to be fair I pretty much shit on everyone.  :lol:

26 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Like I said, you use terms like "murdering fish" and people don't take you seriously, lol.

@johnny I think you should take Cnut's comment here to heart. Using a word you know isn't accurate to attempt to cache in on the emotional connotation it typically carries probably isn't going to be helpful. In some cases that strategy works to manipulate people (even though I don't like it being done then either), but in this case it's just going to turn more people away from listening to what you have to say on the topic, particularly because vegan's and vegetarian's often have a stereotype of being preachy.

If you really care about changing minds on it, speak to people more fairly about it.