What steps have you taken recently to decrease your dependence on the torture of animals?

johnny

2 minutes ago, johnny said:

You are contributing to systematic killing of fish and several other animals. Thanks guys! 

I’m just fucking with you dude. Look, I’m a fat ass who loves to eat. I’m not giving up eating meat. Ever. You do what you think is best. I think your intention is good. Just try and be a little bit less confrontational. 

18 minutes ago, Biggie said:

I’m just fucking with you dude. Look, I’m a fat ass who loves to eat. I’m not giving up eating meat. Ever. You do what you think is best. I think your intention is good. Just try and be a little bit less confrontational. 

Vegans are smug little punk creeps. It's just in their nature.

20 minutes ago, Biggie said:

It's hard to not be confrontational when people like you are coming into the thread to specifically talk about all the meat you enjoy. I'm passionate about it and I'm going to confront people ITT if I want to. I know I'm not perfect and I am going to try to not use the word murder since the misuse of it bothers people and I want to actually talk about things. I dont expect anybody to go completely vegan (even though that would be awesome). I just want to encourage people to consume less and give less money to the people who raise animals just to kill them. I'd much rather people hunt for food than buy fucking Foster Farms. 

I ate vegan soup for my lunch at work last night. It was pretty good. Lentils, chickpeas, garlic, carrots, etc. 

I did eat some eggs with breakfast, though they were free range. I try to buy those when possible. I guess I really don't understand the objection to milk and eggs if the animals are free range and treated humanely. I get my organic milk the same way.

1 hour ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I ate vegan soup for my lunch at work last night. It was pretty good. Lentils, chickpeas, garlic, carrots, etc. 

I did eat some eggs with breakfast, though they were free range. I try to buy those when possible. I guess I really don't understand the objection to milk and eggs if the animals are free range and treated humanely. I get my organic milk the same way.

The issue people have is that, at least for chickens, "free range" doesn't really mean much of anything. 

23 minutes ago, Jason said:

The issue people have is that, at least for chickens, "free range" doesn't really mean much of anything. 

Eh, whatever. It could be better regulated, but it's a lot better than stuffing them into tiny cages or big, dark buildings. 

I often try to buy eggs from a coworker who raises chickens. She also has beehives and sells honey. 

My point is, if you know the animals aren't being harmed, I fail to see the issue with consuming eggs and dairy. 

9 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Eh, whatever. It could be better regulated, but it's a lot better than stuffing them into tiny cages or big, dark buildings. 

I often try to buy eggs from a coworker who raises chickens. She also has beehives and sells honey. 

My point is, if you know the animals aren't being harmed, I fail to see the issue with consuming eggs and dairy. 

Well that's the thing, buying from your coworker is one thing, but if you walk into a grocery store and it says "free range" on chicken or eggs then it likely just means normal inhumane chicken farming except with a small crowded patch of grass outdoors that they're allowed to roam out onto for a few hours a day. 

4 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

My overall point was, and I'll repeat it again, if you know the animals are being treated humanely

Did you just skip the part where I said that "free range" typically doesn't actually mean that the chickens were raised humanely? 

7 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I give up. Like with the fish thing, you're determined to prove some point and I don't really know why. 

But I'll just add, you know it's possible to research the practices of some companies, right?

I don't really get what's so difficult here. I'm not giving you shit about buying from your coworker. There's two separate things being discussed. You buying from someone you KNOW is raising them right is one. The other is that this statement:

58 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

is not really true for a number of reasons, including that "free rage" birds can still spend most of their day stuffed into tiny cages or big, dark buildings.

I'd kinda moved past the free range argument a few posts ago. I stand by my statements, but that one is also separated from my larger point. As I said, the practiced should and could be better regulated, but at least they're getting some time outdoors instead of none. And it just depends on the company. As I said, you can research these things a lot of the time.

I'm not really getting what you're not getting. 

20 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

The fact that they are eggs and "living creatures" means you have contributed to their suffering.

A better argument is why is eating animals not ok but eating plants ok? Plants can respond to outside stimuli meaning they can feel pain, you're making plants suffer.

Oh no you didn't . . . .lol.

It took me over a year to start using my bought grocery bags, I now remember to bring them with me every time! I'm saying this to show just how long change takes me. 

I now recycle almost everything we throw away, that took a very long time. My Dad only recycled cans period!

I'm really not amused by the way @johnny comes across in these threads. Just way to "attacky" to be believable let alone respected, or taken at all seriously! Just listen to yourself. Your way to high on yourself @johnny

You call it passonite. I call it a lack of respect. Not even going to mention my meat preferences as I'm sure nothing would make these standards, "murder out"

32 minutes ago, HardAct said:

Oh no you didn't . . . .lol.

It took me over a year to start using my bought grocery bags, I now remember to bring them with me every time! I'm saying this to show just how long change takes me. 

I now recycle almost everything we throw away, that took a very long time. My Dad only recycled cans period!

I'm really not amused by the way @johnny comes across in these threads. Just way to "attacky" to be believable let alone respected, or taken at all seriously! Just listen to yourself. Your way to high on yourself @johnny

You call it passonite. I call it a lack of respect. Not even going to mention my meat preferences as I'm sure nothing would make these standards, "murder out"

You’re not going to mention your meat preferences because you buy from companies that abuse the shit out of animals before killing them. At least Cnut hunts for her food and tries to buy from places that aren’t horrible. 

“Lack of respect” lol Okay ? 

Can I ask another question, @johnny? What are your thoughts on killing pest animals, like mice and rats in your house? I got a ton of angry reactions when I made a comment about killing a couple rats that got into our house a few years ago.

My general rule is that I won't kill an animal I'm not going to eat, unless it's a pest. Rodents in my house meet that qualification. Bugs, too, so I guess I'd be curious to know your opinion on that. 

I will say that I never kill snakes. They don't scare me and they're highly beneficial.

7 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Can I ask another question, @johnny? What are your thoughts on killing pest animals, like mice and rats in your house? I got a ton of angry reactions when I made a comment about killing a couple rats that got into our house a few years ago.

My general rule is that I won't kill an animal I'm not going to eat, unless it's a pest. Rodents in my house meet that qualification. Bugs, too, so I guess I'd be curious to know your opinion on that. 

I will say that I never kill snakes. They don't scare me and they're highly beneficial.

Things like rats actually pose a risk to you if they’re living in your house. I’m okay with killing them as long as you don’t use those fucking glue traps. I’ll kill an insect if it’s dangerous but if it’s harmless I try to catch it and send it outside.

2 minutes ago, johnny said:

Things like rats actually pose a risk to you if they’re living in your house. I’m okay with killing them as long as you don’t use those fucking glue traps. I’ll kill an insect if it’s dangerous but if it’s harmless I try to catch it and send it outside.

We actually had to use the glue traps. I really hate them, but they were the only option at the time. I won't use poison for obvious reasons and those snap traps are huge and if my dog(who was a tiny puppy at that time) got into one, it would have seriously injured her, maybe even killed her. So the glue traps were the last option. Fortunately, we caught the rat the first night and the husband gave it a couple quick blows to kill it. We did away with the glue traps, thinking the problem was solved. 

If it's just a mouse, I'm fine with the snap traps becuse they're so much smaller and can't do much damage. 

That wasn't the end of the problem, unfortunately. Few weeks later, the husband came home from work one nightand a rat was sitting in the bathroom. He tried to trap it but it got out and ran into the closet. Scurried up one of my sweaters. He trapped it in the sleeve and drowned it in the sink. Only real option in that situation. After checking the house again for entry points, we finally found the real entry point for them. Blocked it off and haven't had an issue since. 

I told that story on a FB page and got a lot of ugly reactions. :p

As for bugs, I kill them depending on what they are. Wasps and yellowjackets get sprayed when they build their nests on our back decks. Spiders get smashed if they're inside, but I leave them alone if they're outside and out of my way. Roaches die, as do ants. Ladybugs get released outside, though. 

9 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

The fact that they are eggs and "living creatures" means you have contributed to their suffering.

A better argument is why is eating animals not ok but eating plants ok? Plants can respond to outside stimuli meaning they can feel pain, you're making plants suffer.

Satire, right?

6 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

That wasn't the end of the problem, unfortunately. Few weeks later, the husband came home from work one nightand a rat was sitting in the bathroom. He tried to trap it but it got out and ran into the closet.

Think of it from the rat's perspective. Here he is just trying to have a civilized shit and not only do you barge in on his privacy, you also then chase him out in the middle of it. Pretty rude honestly.

:p 

6 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

We actually had to use the glue traps. I really hate them, but they were the only option at the time. I won't use poison for obvious reasons and those snap traps are huge and if my dog(who was a tiny puppy at that time) got into one, it would have seriously injured her, maybe even killed her. So the glue traps were the last option. Fortunately, we caught the rat the first night and the husband gave it a couple quick blows to kill it. We did away with the glue traps, thinking the problem was solved. 

If it's just a mouse, I'm fine with the snap traps becuse they're so much smaller and can't do much damage. 

That wasn't the end of the problem, unfortunately. Few weeks later, the husband came home from work one nightand a rat was sitting in the bathroom. He tried to trap it but it got out and ran into the closet. Scurried up one of my sweaters. He trapped it in the sleeve and drowned it in the sink. Only real option in that situation. After checking the house again for entry points, we finally found the real entry point for them. Blocked it off and haven't had an issue since. 

I told that story on a FB page and got a lot of ugly reactions. :p

As for bugs, I kill them depending on what they are. Wasps and yellowjackets get sprayed when they build their nests on our back decks. Spiders get smashed if they're inside, but I leave them alone if they're outside and out of my way. Roaches die, as do ants. Ladybugs get released outside, though. 

You monster! :cry:

12 hours ago, Jason said:

Well that's the thing, buying from your coworker is one thing, but if you walk into a grocery store and it says "free range" on chicken or eggs then it likely just means normal inhumane chicken farming except with a small crowded patch of grass outdoors that they're allowed to roam out onto for a few hours a day. 

You can go pasture raised, but those eggs are absurdly expensive over here in NJ.

6 hours ago, legend said:

Think of it from the rat's perspective. Here he is just trying to have a civilized shit and not only do you barge in on his privacy, you also then chase him out in the middle of it. Pretty rude honestly.

:p 

He needs to stay outside, then. He's probably safer out there, despite the snakes and predatory birds.

5 hours ago, Captain Pickle said:

That is beyond stupid.

I've actually already covered this with johnny in a more civil manner, but thanks for your helpful input.