Roe officially overturned, shocking no one given the leak earlier

6 minutes ago, Jwheel86 said:

Nothing can be done with the filibuster gone, so I guess the solution is to wait for justice to start dying off. That's cool. That's the winning attitude we need going into the midterms.

My suggestion would be clinics on all federal land. Just make the leases to those clinics air tight and last for like 100 years. Something Trump can't undo a few years from now.

• Like 1

I would suggest that abortion rights advocates take notes on how marijuana legalization advocates got shit done and to go on the offensive politically. In fact, abortion rights have an advantage that marijuana didn’t when advocates started winning in California back in 1996. Marijuana legalization was opposed by most Americans back in the 90s. So advocates started passing medical marijuana to change perceptions. Abortion rights can skip having to convince the public since most are already on board. With funds and proper organization, 2 years is all advocates need to place something on a state ballot. Liberals need to form a giant political fund to run campaigns in several states at once, partnering with state organizations and paying professionals to collect valid signatures. 

• Use the state initiative process in every state that bans it to bypass the legislature and legalize the procedure. In more conservative states, moderate the proposal sorta like medical marijuana. 
  • Pass local ballot initiatives in cities within deep red states to legalize the procedure, defund enforcement of anti-abortion statutes, and support patients that want abortions. 

• Fund DAs that run and refuse to enforce the law. 

• Create funds that support pro-choice campaigns, including elected judges in the state level, in swing districts and states as well as red states when it makes sense. 

• Press lawsuits based on any state constitutional language that could be favorable to protect patients.

Grassroots pressure makes real tangible changes while pressuring congress at the same time. Of course, Biden can do some things with his power, but advocates need to accept what’s happened and plan a strategy to change laws. 

• Like 1
  • Halal 3

12 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I get sick of seeing people say this decision doesn’t ban abortion, it just returns the decision to the states. 

It’s fucking insane this has to be said, but where you live shouldn’t fucking determine what healthcare you have access to. 

"Far from what the Democrats say, this ruling does not condemn Sarah Connor to death, it merely returns the issue to the Terminator."

29 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I get sick of seeing people say this decision doesn’t ban abortion, it just returns the decision to the states. 

It’s fucking insane this has to be said, but where you live shouldn’t fucking determine what healthcare you have access to. 

Even worse were people in denial (post-leak, pre-ruling), arguing that no state would actually ban abortion and that they just want to “regulate” them. :|

6 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Even worse were people in denial (post-leak, pre-ruling), arguing that no state would actually ban abortion and that they just want to “regulate” them. :|

Btw, I believe Michele Tafoya was one of those saying this bs.

3 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I think most of the states with trigger bans left that exception. But no others. 

I’m just angry beyond words now. 

What actually counts as risk to mother's life, though? Does simply pregnant with an IUD count? All ectopic pregnancies? Anyone with a thin endometrium? Who gets to make the call that it's a risk?

I hate that I'm even thinking about any of this.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

What actually counts as risk to mother's life, though? Does simply pregnant with an IUD count? All ectopic pregnancies? Anyone with a thin endometrium? Who gets to make the call that it's a risk?

Good question and one I don’t have the answer to. The writers of the law probably don’t know, either. 

• True 2

16 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Good question and one I don’t have the answer to. The writers of the law probably don’t know, either. 

Would the hospital even do the abortion under those scenarios or send the woman to a clinic (pre ruling)? 

22 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Nothing like old white dudes writing up laws that affect women.

I imagine they think risks look something like an episode of ER where a woman was just rushed into the hospital and some random surgeon happens to be standing around that then has to quickly choose between saving the woman's or the baby's life.

1 hour ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

It’s disingenuous bullshit like this from Republicans that’s been driving me nuts too.

Like, Roe and Casey *already* left decisions to the states. That’s why some states banned it after 20 weeks and some after 28 weeks.

Roe and Casey held you couldn’t place those restrictions prior to 20 weeks.

47 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

It’s disingenuous bullshit like this from Republicans that’s been driving me nuts too.

Like, Roe and Casey *already* left decisions to the states. That’s why some states banned it after 20 weeks and some after 28 weeks.

Roe and Casey held you couldn’t place those restrictions prior to 20 weeks.

In any other country, I might be willing to consider the idea that ‘this is just a matter of state’s rights’ to be a reasonable notion.

Unfortunately, 98% of the time that concept is trotted out in US politics it is in defense of taking some form of freedom away from some group of people.  I can really only think of a handful of exceptions.

But I think Mass is right, there’s no quick fix, we’re going to have to out-organize anti-choicers at pretty much every level, and slowly win the war of legislative attrition, like advocates of liberalizing marijuana laws.

At least this will knock a whole lotta people out of complacency.

Also, that concurrent opinion by Thomas is fucking scary, even if he’s just stating what most of us knew all along—for many on the right, this is largely about a larger project of rolling back the 20th century, not just stopping abortion.

• Like 1
  • True 1
  • Halal 2

2 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

The ambiguity is the point

16561901594427.jpg
WWW.GOOGLE.COM

Ivanka Trump was seen as the most capable member of the Trump family. She's considered the most charismatic and admired among Trump's sons and daughters. Ver...

Granted, its not about abortion shaming as much as its a denial of a privilege you were afforded 

• True 1

5 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

Nothing can be done with the filibuster gone, so I guess the solution is to wait for justice to start dying off. That's cool. That's the winning attitude we need going into the midterms.

My suggestion would be clinics on all federal land. Just make the leases to those clinics air tight and last for like 100 years. Something Trump can't undo a few years from now.

Why not a 9000 year lease like Guinness???

🍻

4 hours ago, mclumber1 said:

Jokes on them because a lot more black babies will be born!

Yes but the White Power movement believes that another reason why the white race is in decline is because of white women having too many abortions and being too damned independent. They'll suffer more black babies being born because they figure we'll kill ourselves off or die due to other means anyway.

5 hours ago, osxmatt said:

Hoods off now

Case in point.