Roe officially overturned, shocking no one given the leak earlier

3 hours ago, Uaarkson said:

Constitutional amendment abolishing the Supreme Court? Or would that itself just wind up at the Supreme Court too? LMAO this is so fucked. I’m fucking out of here first chance I get. Canada better get to legalizing dense housing.

I'm sure you've heard about adding four seats to the supreme court but one weird trick is that the legislature can just dissolve the supreme court with a majority vote and presidential signature.

Or less drastically they make them rotate up and down; impeachment takes a supermajority, reassignment not so much. The constitution is incredibly light on the details of how the judicial branch should be structured, explicitly leaving it up to congress.

There's also nothing at all preventing simple legislation from stripping the supreme court's power of constitutional review. They gave that power to themselves; and people have accepted it because it sounds good. Problem is it's been overall a net negative for securing the rights supposedly promised by the constitution. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I can honestly say that I'm in no mood for humor from The Onion.  Not today, not by a longshot.

Stop posting from there, please. 

Not a problem, though I will say the reason they’re on a roll today is they’re feeling the same way as you or I. They’ve probably been waiting to unload for a while.

• Halal 1

14 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

I'm sure you've heard about adding four seats to the supreme court but one weird trick is that the legislature can just dissolve the supreme court with a majority vote and presidential signature.

Or less drastically they make them rotate up and down; impeachment takes a supermajority, reassignment not so much. The constitution is incredibly light on the details of how the judicial branch should be structured, explicitly leaving it up to congress.

There's also nothing at all preventing simple legislation from stripping the supreme court's power of constitutional review. They gave that power to themselves; and people have accepted it because it sounds good. Problem is it's been overall a net negative for securing the rights supposedly promised by the constitution. 

This gives me better thoughts than the ones I had earlier! I can feel the hope of longshot solutions coming back!

• Sicko Sherman 1

I will say this: the hand-wringing and lamentations over this breaking with "precedent" earn nothing more than an eye roll from me.

The concept of precedence strikes me as utterly inane at face value, akin to pointing to the proscriptions contained within an ancient holy text as justification for an action or belief.

There are a myriad of reasons why today's ruling was a repugnant travesty, but the shattering of "precedence" ain't even close to being at the top of the list.

I feel like today was kind of a perfect distillation of this moment in politics. If the Roe decision hadn't come down, the story of the day would've been the gun legislation that got passed which, while better than nothing, is woefully inadequate to addressing the problem and only passed after an absolutely exhaustive negotiating process to get a handful of Republicans to sign on.

Meanwhile SCOTUS hands down this decision, which was identical to the draft that was released like two months ago that should've theoretically provided some lead time for how to respond, and the only thing Democratic leadership can think to do in the moment is go outside and start singing God Bless America.

• Halal 1

33 minutes ago, Ricofoley said:

I feel like today was kind of a perfect distillation of this moment in politics. If the Roe decision hadn't come down, the story of the day would've been the gun legislation that got passed which, while better than nothing, is woefully inadequate to addressing the problem and only passed after an absolutely exhaustive negotiating process to get a handful of Republicans to sign on.

Meanwhile SCOTUS hands down this decision, which was identical to the draft that was released like two months ago that should've theoretically provided some lead time for how to respond, and the only thing Democratic leadership can think to do in the moment is go outside and start singing God Bless America.

My understanding is that the singing of that ridiculously cloying song was in commemoration of the woefully inadequate gun legislation which somehow makes it even worse.

• Guillotine 3

1 hour ago, Ricofoley said:

That gun legistlation is completely worthless. 

5 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I can honestly say that I'm in no mood for humor from The Onion.  Not today, not by a longshot.

Stop posting from there, please. 

For the record, I've wanted to say that for ages now, especially when the "No way to prevent this..." article gets trotted out EVERY. SINGLE. BLOODY. TIME. there's another gun-related atrocity.

Today was my absolute breaking point.  

There's a time and place for that kind of satirical dark humor, but the immediate aftermath just isn't it, at least on the message board that I pay for.

• Halal 1

7 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

For the record, I've wanted to say that for ages now, especially when the "No way to prevent this..." article gets trotted out EVERY. SINGLE. BLOODY. TIME. there's another gun-related atrocity.

So you're saying they can never update the article?